Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2021, 05:45 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
More pot shots at our state? What a surprise.

It doesn’t matter where the income comes from, it’s income and it creates revenue for our state.

Also you seem to forget (or ignore) the fact that Connecticut’s economy is a LOT more diverse than just defense spending. The largest industry in our state is finance and insurance. We also have a large services industry.

As for Hartford’s fiscal problems, that problem is NOT exactly unique to our state. You forget that it wasn’t that long ago Springfield faced similar fiscal issues which resulted in a state take over. Fall River and Lowell have had their issues as well over the years.

I have no idea what division you are talking about or differences that need to be settled. I’m also not aware of any significant controversy. Jay
Good lord...where do I start.

Yes it does matter where income comes from. Let's say you have a place that's into heavy manufacturing like Detroit. The labor market can be argued to be dependent on production. If the factories don't run then they don't produce anything and that means less factory hours..pretty simple. Yes I know factories do have to shut down for adjustments here and there. There are many places in the US that have had significant poverty growth due to the decline of manufacturing or at least the amount of jobs in it. Today manufacturing still exists but it's much more professional, automated and cares more about quality (i.e. six sigma). It can be argued that factories are about production and not job creation.

In a place like CT you have many administrative jobs in finance and insurance (obviously). Jobs can be remote and covid has shown this. So you don't really even have to be in the state to work for them. Services can be done online and automated out. So this idea that we shouldn't look at sources of income is bullocks. Affluent people don't perform physical labor and the taxes on labor far surpass that of investment. I'll take capital gains over FICA any day of the week. Millionares don't make an hourly wage but dividends add up. Multiple income streams and investments this is obvious to anyone. Affluent people can afford to move nearly anywhere so there's not much really tying them to the state.

Let's suppose someone works for some hedge fund in FFC making 200K. Probably exists I'm not saying something way out there. What's to stop them from working remotely out of Colorado or SF? That's what I'm getting at. So if the population on the state level isn't growing and you see an imbalance of everything else (FFC vs the rest of the state) at what point is it going to be say CT government employees and people on social welfare systems left?

I'm well aware of other areas that were under financial oversight but unlike Mass they didn't have overlapping and multiple local governments under boards at the same time. Has there been any legit reforms or not? Basically something was performed incorrectly and it needs to change. The other fact is that this is also with the extra 50 million the private sector provided the city. Where's that "extra" coming to come from once it runs out?

Eventually people in FFC might wonder why their tax dollars should go to places like Hartford that have not made any significant and meaningful changes to their finances. They have the ways and the means to leave the state and this is a good question. You have made the argument about gold plated affluent communities in FFC, ok fine I get that. But without a strong state government the imbalance is going to continue and it's going to get ugly. I'm not advocating for higher taxes but you have to have some expansion of those that are wealthy in order to create more of a balance. Otherwise a smaller number of people in the state are going to have more of a say of the actual tax policy and budget of the state.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:52 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Yes it does matter where income comes from. Let's say you have a place that's into heavy manufacturing like Detroit. The labor market can be argued to be dependent on production. If the factories don't run then they don't produce anything and that means less factory hours..pretty simple. Yes I know factories do have to shut down for adjustments here and there. There are many places in the US that have had significant poverty growth due to the decline of manufacturing or at least the amount of jobs in it. Today manufacturing still exists but it's much more professional, automated and cares more about quality (i.e. six sigma). It can be argued that factories are about production and not job creation.

In a place like CT you have many administrative jobs in finance and insurance (obviously). Jobs can be remote and covid has shown this. So you don't really even have to be in the state to work for them. Services can be done online and automated out. So this idea that we shouldn't look at sources of income is bullocks. Affluent people don't perform physical labor and the taxes on labor far surpass that of investment. I'll take capital gains over FICA any day of the week. Millionares don't make an hourly wage but dividends add up. Multiple income streams and investments this is obvious to anyone. Affluent people can afford to move nearly anywhere so there's not much really tying them to the state.

Let's suppose someone works for some hedge fund in FFC making 200K. Probably exists I'm not saying something way out there. What's to stop them from working remotely out of Colorado or SF? That's what I'm getting at. So if the population on the state level isn't growing and you see an imbalance of everything else (FFC vs the rest of the state) at what point is it going to be say CT government employees and people on social welfare systems left?

I'm well aware of other areas that were under financial oversight but unlike Mass they didn't have overlapping and multiple local governments under boards at the same time. Has there been any legit reforms or not? Basically something was performed incorrectly and it needs to change. The other fact is that this is also with the extra 50 million the private sector provided the city. Where's that "extra" coming to come from once it runs out?

Eventually people in FFC might wonder why their tax dollars should go to places like Hartford that have not made any significant and meaningful changes to their finances. They have the ways and the means to leave the state and this is a good question. You have made the argument about gold plated affluent communities in FFC, ok fine I get that. But without a strong state government the imbalance is going to continue and it's going to get ugly. I'm not advocating for higher taxes but you have to have some expansion of those that are wealthy in order to create more of a balance. Otherwise a smaller number of people in the state are going to have more of a say of the actual tax policy and budget of the state.
TO THE MODERATORS. PLEASE DON'T DELETE THIS. THIS POSTER COMES ON AND SAYS THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER SO I NEED TO COUNTER IT. THANK YOU.

"Income can come from investing, not labor as that's how upper incomes do it."

CT is not too shabby in just income alone either. I am going to look up 2019 and 2020 because 2020 was screwed up by the pandemic. I am actually having a problem finding 2020. I think all the sites are doing 2019.

Household Income by State 2019 (this is from the graph)
1 NJ 114,691
2 CT 113.031
3 MA 111,498
4 MD 111,417
5 CA 106,906

Per Capita Income by State 2019
1 CT $79,087
2 MA $74,967
3 NY $71,440
4 NJ $70,979
5 CA $66,661

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ncome-by-state
Even though the link above says 2021 (which I would assume would be for 2020) it refers to 2019 in the article. "In 2019, the per capita income was $56,663". I guess that is in the entire US median.

Here is a site that lets you see 2020 and 2019 at once but you can't toggle it. But you can see that CT is #1 in both 2019 and 2020. I am not going to figure out the top 5 because it is a PITA.... only in the upper "70,000". I still don't see household income for 2020.

Per Capita Personal Income for 2020
1 CT 79,771
2 MA 79,721
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/release/...id=257197&od=#

Even if we were in the top 10 that would be good with all the doomsday people on here about CT. Every time I do this little exercise I expect to see CT failing into oblivion for income because of what many are saying on here.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:

Take away the income equation from everything.

NEW YORK CITY is one of the greatest cites IN THE WORLD and people of every color and especially the wealthy and cultured will always want to live near it.

Where do you live do you live? It's funny the people who come on here and talk trash about CT never put where they are from. Does your state have a NYC within commuting distance or a short drive?

If I had lots of money and didn't need to work I would also want a house near Paris and Florence. Florence is where Michelangelo and DaVinci was from. Do you realize how many wealthy actors and musicians that have homes in Connecticut to be near NYC in a country setting? Not to mention just non creative millionaires?

Do you know that NYC was one of the fastest growing cities in the US?
‘The Big Apple just got bigger’: Census shows NYC population surge
https://pix11.com/news/local-news/th...pulation-surge

Now that the creative class and higher income jobs aren't tied to their locations perhaps THEY WILL MOVE TO WORLD CLASS CITIES? Did you ever think of that?

Last edited by CTartist; 08-30-2021 at 06:59 AM..

Old 08-30-2021, 06:47 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:

People have been saying "eventually" forever. Eventually never comes.
Colorado or SF? lol, wonder where their taxes go? are you kidding, you really have no idea do you? spend some time in FFC. The rich who sold their homes this past year sold to wealthier ones who paid more than they did. A home in Norwalk, not even Darien or NC, went on for 900 the other day, sold for 990, small too. It's musical chairs for homes in FFC, 20 rich people want to move in for every home that hits the market. The only place these people are going to is down to the marina, to get on the new fancy boat or somewhere else to spend a ton of money. One outboard engine is plenty for LI Sound, they need 3 or 4, where are they going? for tuna and marlin? its LI Sound. The harderst decision they have to make is which german import do they take out on to the jammed up roads and highways for the daily spending spree. They don't even think twice about the most expensive bottle of wine when out to dinner "bring 2 bottles". Jet off to the Caribbean or Nantucket for the weekend, no problem. There's money left over for a Zebra if they wanted one, maybe two. They wonder why their handicap score went down before they even think about where their tax dollars are going.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Colorado or SF? lol, wonder where their taxes go? are you kidding, you really have no idea do you? spend some time in FFC. The rich who sold their homes this past year sold to wealthier ones who paid more than they did. A home in Norwalk, not even Darien or NC, went on for 900 the other day, sold for 990, small too. It's musical chairs for homes in FFC, 20 rich people want to move in for every home that hits the market. The only place these people are going to is down to the marina, to get on the new fancy boat or somewhere else to spend a ton of money. One outboard engine is plenty for LI Sound, they need 3 or 4, where are they going? for tuna and marlin? its LI Sound. The harderst decision they have to make is which german import do they take out on to the jammed up roads and highways for the daily spending spree. They don't even think twice about the most expensive bottle of wine when out to dinner "bring 2 bottles". Jet off to the Caribbean or Nantucket for the weekend, no problem. There's money left over for a Zebra if they wanted one, maybe two. They wonder why their handicap score went down before they even think about where their tax dollars are going.
You got it. In Fairfield County it is musical "chairs/houses" for the wealthy. A friend of mine had a mini mansion on Congress Street in Fairfield. She wanted to move back near the water in Westport. The person who bought her house/mansion made it bigger and swankier.

When I am on the back roads of the "no exit zone" in Westport and Fairfield I keep seeing regular houses (that look like middle class houses) be made into huge houses. It takes money to do that. My husband was with me one day and we had to take the back roads. We got off exit 42 and went south through the 4-way stop. All those huge homes just got put there. He said "Holy ---- when the hell did this happen". If you are not actually in Fairfield County to see all this wealth coming in you can't comprehend it if you are talking about a political philosophy like mdovall is.

All of these rich people might not even have jobs. Maybe they just want to live near NYC and are coming from different countries too. It's like the rich United Nations of Fairfield County. If you go shopping in Westport (like I do) you hear accents from all over the world. And these people are spending money like crazy and they are wealthy. They are wealthy from all over the world and I am thinking they want to be near a world class city like NYC.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Stevem85.....you live in Southport right? When you are in Westport do you notice there are more foreign accents from all over the world or is it just me seeing/hearing it? I would think they are moving to Southport too.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
You got it. In Fairfield County it is musical "chairs/houses" for the wealthy. A friend of mine had a mini mansion on Congress Street in Fairfield. She wanted to move back near the water in Westport. The person who bought her house/mansion made it bigger and swankier.

When I am on the back roads of the "no exit zone" in Westport and Fairfield I keep seeing regular houses (that look like middle class houses) be made into huge houses. It takes money to do that. My husband was with me one day and we had to take the back roads. We got off exit 42 and went south through the 4-way stop. All those huge homes just got put there. He said "Holy ---- when the hell did this happen". If you are not actually in Fairfield County to see all this wealth coming in you can't comprehend it if you are talking about a political philosophy like mdovall is.

All of these rich people might not even have jobs. Maybe they just want to live near NYC and are coming from different countries too. It's like the rich United Nations of Fairfield County. If you go shopping in Westport (like I do) you hear accents from all over the world. And these people are spending money like crazy and they are wealthy. They are wealthy from all over the world and I am thinking they want to be near a world class city like NYC.
They're not starving up in the Hartford and New Haven suburbs either. They have handicap scores too.

Some members here have CT teetering on exctinction, the usual suspects, you know them, it's unbelievable, I mean what are they looking at? do they not see the highways day and night. Do they not see 20 people staring them in the face when they turn a corner out shopping? It's too crowded, and everyone still goes there.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:14 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Stevem85.....you live in Southport right? When you are in Westport do you notice there are more foreign accents from all over the world or is it just me seeing/hearing it? I would think they are moving to Southport too.
I know handful of wealthy foreigners moving to Westport, Weston, Fairfield, Downtown Stamford they coming from France, South America, UK, Japan, Germany, China, Sweden they want be close to NYC.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I don't live in Southport. I may have mentioned somehwere I was at a birthday bash there a couple of weeks ago hanging out with all the big wigs.
Yes, there are many foreign expats living in FCounty. Loaded ones.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I know handful of wealthy foreigners moving to Westport, Weston, Fairfield, Downtown Stamford they coming from France, South America, UK, Japan, Germany, China, Sweden they want be close to NYC.
That's right, can you blame them, and you know where many of those rich people from NC and Darien went went when they sold their homes recently to even richer people? did they flee the state? nope, they went to South Norwalk, can you believe it. Poolside cocktails on the roof, wine and cheese sunsets out in the Sound on their big boats and yachts in slips at the marinas right across the street. Can't miss em', they're all lined up out there one after the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut