Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2021, 11:44 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Do you think companies like this are going to other Republican states where this could happen? No way. CT just might be the beneficiary of a lot of these companies jumping ship from deep red states.
_.

Its a fantasy to think any law shifts corp decisions. First the 6 week part will be struck down. 2nd corps are about EBITDA. Nothing else matters.

I suspect the company discussed wants attention. Startups need attention. Most go unnoticed -struggle for funds.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:04 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Its a fantasy to think any law shifts corp decisions. First the 6 week part will be struck down. 2nd corps are about EBITDA. Nothing else matters.

I suspect the company discussed wants attention. Startups need attention. Most go unnoticed -struggle for funds.
1) Do you realize that over 50% of the population is female?

2) Do you know that a large majority of the female population never had a draconian law like the one that was just passed in Texas?

3) Do you further realize that a large portion of the female population holds the purse strings and buys everything for the house?

If I were a young woman today I would not care if the streets of Texas were paved in gold, I would not go there. You do realize that most marriages are men married to women, right? Young people are not going to put up with this. The future is young people.

So many young people are going to put the breaks on moving to Texas there will be skid marks all over the US.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
1) Do you realize that over 50% of the population is female?

2) Do you know that a large majority of the female population never had a draconian law like the one that was just passed in Texas?

3) Do you further realize that a large portion of the female population holds the purse strings and buys everything for the house?

Yes, and I also realize a short-term bill has little impact. I chat with Texans in business all the time. The bill got the attention desired, but is begging for a valid court challenge by someone with standing (an actual pregnant woman).

It is a leaf blowing by in terms of duration. A valid bill will replace it, but w/o the bounty hunting aspect or the 6 week limits.

Now I do think a less harsh bill will pass SCOTUS review by 2024, likely back to original R v W limits of the 70s. It will eliminate partial birth abortion in 50 states plus DC.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:25 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Who says Connecticut can’t attract manufacturing? A Manhattan company is building an 80,000 square foot facility in Shelton. That’s great news. Jay

https://www.sheltonherald.com/news/a...n-16450164.php

Old 09-12-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Who says Connecticut can’t attract manufacturing? A Manhattan company is building an 80,000 square foot facility in Shelton. That’s great news. Jay

https://www.sheltonherald.com/news/a...n-16450164.php
It is good news, but a manufacturing hq, not the production facilities. That is why it is just 15 jobs to start, 30 end year 1, 70 end first decade. Now since much of square footage is the warehouse, they likely produce offshore, like Ann Taylor, for instance. This is still good news, but I would prefer a precise header. Like:

"Plan to relocate hq of big manufacturer to Shelton".

That explains why the square footage per expected employee is quite high-warehouse space, R & D space, and some space for hq staff.

Like the news, though.

It also explains why Scinto is involved, as his facilities are not production ones often, if ever, but he constructs terrific, first class office space.

Old 09-12-2021, 02:25 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It is good news, but a manufacturing hq, not the production facilities. That is why it is just 15 jobs to start, 30 end year 1, 70 end first decade. Now since much of square footage is the warehouse, they likely produce offshore, like Ann Taylor, for instance. This is still good news, but I would prefer a precise header. Like:

"Plan to relocate hq of big manufacturer to Shelton".

That explains why the square footage per expected employee is quite high-warehouse space, R & D space, and some space for hq staff.

Like the news, though.

It also explains why Scinto is involved, as his facilities are not production ones often, if ever, but he constructs terrific, first class office space.
Why did I know you would reply?

The article said:

“This is not a warehouse,” Scinto said, adding the building will house light manufacturing and research and development, with some storage of the completed products.

Would you rather this be built somewhere else? Jay

Old 09-12-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Why did I know you would reply?

The article said:

“This is not a warehouse,” Scinto said, adding the building will house light manufacturing and research and development, with some storage of the completed products.

Would you rather this be built somewhere else? Jay
I adore manufacturing and dislike bad journalism. The headcount alone, 15 to begin from the hq. HQ belongs in the headline. 30 staff by year end. A decent pickup even if a very modest size. Now if R & D makes good stuff, someday, I hope, light manufacturing is added. But that is a TBD. R & D has more misses than hits all over the world.

For even light manufacturing, this is a small square footage footprint to work with.

So I am just banking on the known-15 existing jobs coming. Crossing fingers the rest comes true, and eager to see who the corp is, when it is released.

btw, by the headline, I expected many hundreds of jobs by 2022.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:14 AM

Very impressive cleanup of formerly toxic North Haven large Upjohn site. Well done!

https://www.nhregister.com/metro/art...s-16447152.php

Old 09-13-2021, 05:10 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Generally you can have a path. Distribution, light assembly, heavy assembly, light manufacturing full on manufacturing.

Given global supply chains it's really hard to assume everything can be done on a given location. Remember the steel tarrifs under Bush? Harley Davidson had 5%, from other countries. Can't sell something with just 95%.Regulations in the developing world have increased significantly along with taxes. Look at Quicken Loans and Dan Gilbert. Supposedly it the costs of Detroit were only 15% more than Brazil.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Generally you can have a path. Distribution, light assembly, heavy assembly, light manufacturing full on manufacturing.

Given global supply chains it's really hard to assume everything can be done on a given location. Remember the steel tarrifs under Bush? Harley Davidson had 5%, from other countries. Can't sell something with just 95%.Regulations in the developing world have increased significantly along with taxes. Look at Quicken Loans and Dan Gilbert. Supposedly it the costs of Detroit were only 15% more than Brazil.
80,000 square feet in manufacturing is small. Particularly as the hq will take space (not just staff, conference rooms, IT servers, kitchen area) and warehousing also takes space. Their product type generally needs a ton of warehousing space.

I still like adding a company, but am in wait and see to see how it plays out 2024 forward. Just 15 jobs to start, 30 by year end per article. Starting late 2023/early 2024, 12-16 month lead-time. It can stay quiet (company) until the end, as no matter how many of the 15 choose to quit, that is under WARN Act posting requirements, btw, which start at 50 layoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut