Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2023, 09:31 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Well to their credit, Governor Lamont and our State Legislators have approved extending the fiscal “guard rails” that have given our state budget surpluses for the last five years. It’s stopped them from spending recklessly and forced them to pay down debt and pension obligations. This 10 year extension should assure fiscal responsibility now and in the future. Great news. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2023/02/09/ct-b...ils-extension/

Old 02-11-2023, 06:31 AM

388 posts, read 160,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
What is 21st century talent? what does that look like or entail?
How many MIT grads are jumping hoops to fill mundane HR, accounting, and marketing roles at Lego backoffice MA space? probaby not many. Most have bigger aspirations.
Probably most of Boston's most esteemed grads don't have cube farming at the local Lego shop role high on their list.
If an entry level, out of college job, working for a global brand that is instantly recognizable, has partnerships with other monster brands, and in itself or leads to the next big thing is “mundane” then I guess a cube job at Travelers must be really low on the list of “top talent” (saw that term thrown around like it doesn’t mean anything).

A Lego engineer, builder, or designer that creates the next set for Disney can make $350K a year. The Senior Marketing Managers that work with Target and Amazon make $225K plus their annual bonus of $100K+. These jobs don’t require 10 years of experience either.

Yes, Lego Enfield has some call center jobs and “mundane” jobs as you put it, but if these Boston area graduates are not excited about working for a pretty interesting and pretty fun company and making $250K+ pretty easily, then I guess the job market is a lot better than what I thought.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:11 AM

34,056 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
If an entry level, out of college job, working for a global brand that is instantly recognizable, has partnerships with other monster brands, and in itself or leads to the next big thing is “mundane” then I guess a cube job at Travelers must be really low on the list of “top talent” (saw that term thrown around like it doesn’t mean anything).

A Lego engineer, builder, or designer that creates the next set for Disney can make $350K a year. The Senior Marketing Managers that work with Target and Amazon make $225K plus their annual bonus of $100K+. These jobs don’t require 10 years of experience either.

Yes, Lego Enfield has some call center jobs and “mundane” jobs as you put it, but if these Boston area graduates are not excited about working for a pretty interesting and pretty fun company and making $250K+ pretty easily, then I guess the job market is a lot better than what I thought.
Bingo, and it allows them to network, early in careers, with companies that are household names. I personally know via family and friends several MIT grads, and even graduating from MIT does not reduce the value of networking or a quarter of a million plus dollar job.

This is a significant loss to Ct, a huge one to Enfield.

At least, the affected employees have a few years to plan their next steps.

Old 02-11-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Bingo, and it allows them to network, early in careers, with companies that are household names. I personally know via family and friends several MIT grads, and even graduating from MIT does not reduce the value of networking or a quarter of a million plus dollar job.

This is a significant loss to Ct, a huge one to Enfield.

At least, the affected employees have a few years to plan their next steps.
I know someone that works at Lego that was part of the design team that made multiple Lego Nintendo sets. They have very close connections and working relationships with Lego, Nintendo, Target/Walmart/Amazon among others. So he works at Lego, a cool fun company, has connections at Nintendo, makes very good money and isn’t worried about the impending move to Boston because of all the other options he’ll have thru those connections. Doesn’t sound very mundane to me and sounds like will have some decent options moving forward.

I think ESPN has lost some of their sexiness, but ESPN is another CT employer that brings similar things. Name recognition, connections, doors that get opened. ESPN isn’t what they once were, but they would be another type of employer where it would be devastating if they left CT, not just because they have 10X the number of employees as Lego

Old 02-11-2023, 03:30 PM

6,911 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:

I thought you said design and engineering was based in Amsterdam.

A Marketing manager makes 350per with bonus? Wow, learn something new on City Data everyday.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I thought you said design and engineering was based in Amsterdam.

A Marketing manager makes 350per with bonus? Wow, learn something new on City Data everyday.
Wasn’t me that said that

Yes, Sr Marketing Manager $225K plus all Lego employees get corporate bonus based on profits, for a $225K Manager position, $75K-$100K per year, every year for past 12 years. So $300K-$325K is about right.

I don’t think you realize what a European successful private company like Lego pays its people. That’s why we have been saying this is a big loss for CT. Also, For Lego, the Americans don’t get the same vacation time or benefits the European counterparts get so they give them more money to compensate for it. The Europeans start at 6 weeks vacation per year and get a year off for birth of a child.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:52 PM

6,911 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Wasn’t me that said that

Yes, Sr Marketing Manager $225K plus all Lego employees get corporate bonus based on profits, for a $225K Manager position, $75K-$100K per year, every year for past 12 years. So $300K-$325K is about right.

I don’t think you realize what a European successful private company like Lego pays its people. That’s why we have been saying this is a big loss for CT. Also, For Lego, the Americans don’t get the same vacation time or benefits the European counterparts get so they give them more money to compensate for it. The Europeans start at 6 weeks vacation per year and get a year off for birth of a child.
300 is a nice haul for the CT MA border.
I’m aware of European vacation policies.
GE move to Boston was supposed to devastate CT for decades, that never happened.

Old 02-11-2023, 05:04 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Wasn’t me that said that

It's not like Lego couldn't have offered those same benefits to the Americans? (but yeah, money's good too)

Old 02-11-2023, 05:22 PM

Quote:
300 is a nice haul for the CT MA border.
I’m aware of European vacation policies.
GE move to Boston was supposed to devastate CT for decades, that never happened.
Who cares? You think 750 employees care about the impact to the state as a whole? I doubt anyone really does. People care about their own bubble, their own schools, social circles, town, etc.

Does someone living in Glastonbury really care if Enfield lost a major employer? No. Do more than half the people on this forum really care about the quality of Bridgeport or Waterbury? No.

I don’t think there was much debate about if this will “hurt” CT. It will hurt the families of those impacted, yes, but the state as a whole? Of course not.

Old 02-11-2023, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
It's not like Lego couldn't have offered those same benefits to the Americans? (but yeah, money's good too)
You’re right, they could but that’s not American culture. They chose to pay more instead. It’s not like having people take a year off for babies or take whole summers off (which they do in Denmark) is productive for the employer. It’s hard to get people to fill in work and work with all the other partnerships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut