Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2023, 07:27 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I do not think New Haven can build a major corporate base, while Boston can.

New Haven has Yale which is awesome, but Boston has several top universities. If Boston had either just Harvard or just MIT, the cities would be comparable. Boston has many universities ranked in the top 50, per the US News column Jay linked a few pages back. That's like a MLB team having a guy hitting .300 with 30 homers 7th. It means like that team, Boston has the nation's deepest lineup of top universities.

Second, New Haven lacks the extensive public transit options Boston has.
I'm not even comparing it to Boston.

It will never have the scale of Boston, but that doesn't mean it can't attract new corporations.

Having Quinnipiac, Yale, UoNH, Wesleyan, SCSU, Fairfield U, Sacred Heart, etc. within 25 miles is nothing to scoff at. Plus, not every grad wants the big city experience. Some want smaller vibrant cities, with easy commutes, lower cost of living, and a more relaxed feel. NYC and Boston have PLENTY of room for the grads that want that experience. Small cities are "hot" right now and New Haven isn't doing enough to attract corps, period. Hard disagree that NHV can't attract more.

Old 02-01-2023, 08:07 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

It will never have the scale of Boston, but that doesn't mean it can't attract new corporations.

Having Quinnipiac, Yale, UoNH, Wesleyan, SCSU, Fairfield U, Sacred Heart, etc. within 25 miles is nothing to scoff at. Plus, not every grad wants the big city experience. Some want smaller vibrant cities, with easy commutes, lower cost of living, and a more relaxed feel. NYC and Boston have PLENTY of room for the grads that want that experience. Small cities are "hot" right now and New Haven isn't doing enough to attract corps, period. Hard disagree that NHV can't attract more.
What I'd like to see NH do is emulate South Norwalk & Greenwich in one way. Each added train station - bus shuttle systems, after seeing Stamford do it the last 2 plus decades. NH should seek Ct assistance and do just that, and like South Norwalk go past town lines. In other words, go to major employment points in both New Haven & perhaps West Haven & East Haven (various shuttle lines). The trick is to keep each line making few stops, continuous loops, at least leaving every half hour during peak times, either away from station primarily (a.m.) or towards it (p.m.).

I still recall how 19th century Stamford was in transit when my ex brother-in-law worked a mile from downtown Stamford in the 80s. He drove a state van, picked up 10 or so going to Stamford at park and ride stops (driver rode free). That predated the shuttle system in Stamford we know today. UGH!

Products you get delivered come intermodal (many forms of transportation). It should be possible for people to travel that way, too. Young grads love that!

Old 02-02-2023, 07:57 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:

This is a good post.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:55 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
When I worked in New Haven, both Yale and CTTranist (I think as I only ever used the Yale shuttle) offered a shuttle service. Is this no longer offered?

Quote:
What I'd like to see NH do is emulate South Norwalk & Greenwich in one way. Each added train station - bus shuttle systems, after seeing Stamford do it the last 2 plus decades. NH should seek Ct assistance and do just that, and like South Norwalk go past town lines. In other words, go to major employment points in both New Haven & perhaps West Haven & East Haven (various shuttle lines). The trick is to keep each line making few stops, continuous loops, at least leaving every half hour during peak times, either away from station primarily (a.m.) or towards it (p.m.).

I still recall how 19th century Stamford was in transit when my ex brother-in-law worked a mile from downtown Stamford in the 80s. He drove a state van, picked up 10 or so going to Stamford at park and ride stops (driver rode free). That predated the shuttle system in Stamford we know today. UGH!

Products you get delivered come intermodal (many forms of transportation). It should be possible for people to travel that way, too. Young grads love that!

Old 02-02-2023, 02:41 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
When I worked in New Haven, both Yale and CTTranist (I think as I only ever used the Yale shuttle) offered a shuttle service. Is this no longer offered?
It is still offered. I’m not sure why BobNJ1960 doesn’t know that. They offer exactly what he mentions. Jay

https://your.yale.edu/work-yale/camp...ptions/shuttle

https://www.cttransit.com/sites/defa...cal_system.pdf

Old 02-02-2023, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is still offered. I’m not sure why BobNJ1960 doesn’t know that. They offer exactly what he mentions. Jay

https://your.yale.edu/work-yale/camp...ptions/shuttle

https://www.cttransit.com/sites/defa...cal_system.pdf
It is not as extensive as South Norwalk nor Greenwich. I think it should be. It should go well past YNH and a few hourly bus lines.

I am not talking hourly Ct Transit buses, but more continuous loops like South Norwalk, multiple runs per hour leading away in peak a.m. slots, and towards Union St peak p.m. slots.

Old 02-02-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:

I think NH would be wise to increase its mass transit options, just as South Norwalk has and Greenwich. Each is emulating what Stamford did, and most office complexes have coverage in each city.

We must accept that New Haven can only attract more by analyzing the root cause of where it has fallen short so far. It has not attracted many corps; get to the why leaders, address it via corrective action.

Old 02-02-2023, 06:58 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
It is not as extensive as South Norwalk nor Greenwich. I think it should be. It should go well past YNH and a few hourly bus lines.

I am not talking hourly Ct Transit buses, but more continuous loops like South Norwalk, multiple runs per hour leading away in peak a.m. slots, and towards Union St peak p.m. slots.
Buses in New Haven run more than hourly during peak hours just like Norwalk and there is a regular loop that takes you around downtown. It goes to the New Haven Green where most, if not all buses originate. It’s a pretty comprehensive system. Not sure what more anyone can expect. Jay

Old 02-02-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Buses in New Haven run more than hourly during peak hours just like Norwalk and there is a regular loop that takes you around downtown. It goes to the New Haven Green where most, if not all buses originate. It’s a pretty comprehensive system. Not sure what more anyone can expect. Jay
IMO, It should go into neighborhoods with businesses (office complexes) far more directly from the train station, and eliminate the need for changing routes on the Green, as you are then making a journey from another town to destination a 3 route trip each way (train, bus to green, bus to neighborhood)

South Norwalk routes are a few times an hour every rush hour period. They do not require a bus to the "green", so South Norwalk & Greenwich, like Stamford make it a two route trip. It takes more buses plus state funding to accomplish, but if NH fails to change, we cannot expect more growth in NH. It is truly that simple. A 3 route trip, twice a day, 48 weeks worked (excludes PTO) amounts to 480 extra trip segments versus a 2 route trip.

We cannot expect better results via the same old, same old.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 02-02-2023 at 07:36 PM..

Old 02-02-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbymeman View Post
No, this is just wishful thinking. You can’t attract young college grads to Enfield, that’s the big issue here. Even New Haven would be much harder than Boston for attracting talent.
agreed.

Had Lego stayed an unsophisticated, small toy company, Enfield would fit its needs. It outgrew the talent base in the region it was in, so it wisely chose to move to the US city with the best options for educated, top talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut