Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2022, 05:16 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You aren’t the general public. That’s the problem. People don’t get the full story otherwise they would know that overall our economy is very very strong. I can’t tell you how many people think our state’s economy is doing terrible because of those headlines. They are shocked when I tell them that our per capita GDP is among the very top. Again how bad can our economy really be when we have a high per capita GDP, high income and low unemployment? What more does anyone want or expect? Jay
I think you’re mistaking my comments about slow GDP growth for saying the economy in Connecticut is terrible. That’s not the case.

Slow GDP growth should be concerning for the reasons I outlined above. It’s right there in hard numbers taken straight from the Bureau of Economic Analysis.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:21 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If it’s as simple as left and right (it’s not), why are the majority of the top states on this list blue?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-gdp-by-state/

The trajectory is unequivocal -- states with healthy Capitalism are developing, are progressing. States with choked Capitalism (like CT for example) are not. These things take decades to show up so that people can recognize the differences.

Small incremental quantitative changes lead to significant qualitative contrast.

I'll give you two tangible indicators:

1- People deciding with their feet. Trend was clear pre-covid -- CT was losing good taxpayers, and gaining poor taxpayers. CT covid's shot in the arm, in terms of NYers moving in, may become reversible. Workplaces want workers back, PLUS bad traffic, PLUS shorter trains -- many NYers will move back. I know I will. There was a reason why we all lived in NYC in the first place. Those reasons are coming back.

2- CT's friendliness to small business, which is the canary in the mine also for future growth. CT is one of the worst in country.

Old 10-20-2022, 07:29 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
The trajectory is unequivocal -- states with healthy Capitalism are developing, are progressing. States with choked Capitalism (like CT for example) are not. These things take decades to show up so that people can recognize the differences.

Small incremental quantitative changes lead to significant qualitative contrast.

I will give you the most important indicator to the future.....EDUCATION.

I know all about this. I have hundreds of realtives (going up towards 1000) in CT. Let me tell what the realtives are saying as they leave for FL full time. They do not want to pay ANY taxes and they certainly don't want to pay taxes to educate other people's children in FL even though they and thier children enjoyed great school systems while living in CT.

February of 2022
Most Educated States.................Per Capita Income Forbes 2021
1 Massachusetts..................................... 2
2 Connecticut....................................... .1
3 Maryland.......................................... .12
4 New Jersey..........................................6
5 Virginia.......................................... ...18
36 Florida........................................... .32

https://scholaroo.com/report/most-educated-states
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewd...h=130fd27537be

EDUCATION IS THE KEY.........and it will only get worse in the future if the people flocking to FL don't want to help educate those kids in the state. And all those other low tax havens.

Last edited by CTartist; 10-20-2022 at 07:40 AM..

Old 10-20-2022, 07:36 AM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:

1- People deciding with their feet. Trend was clear pre-covid -- CT was losing good taxpayers, and gaining poor taxpayers. CT covid's shot in the arm, in terms of NYers moving in, may become reversible. Workplaces want workers back, PLUS bad traffic, PLUS shorter trains -- many NYers will move back. I know I will. There was a reason why we all lived in NYC in the first place. Those reasons are coming back.

2- CT's friendliness to small business, which is the canary in the mine also for future growth. CT is one of the worst in country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

I know all about this. I have hundreds of realtives (going up towards 1000) in CT. Let me tell what the realtives are saying as they leave for FL full time. They do not want to pay ANY taxes and they certainly don't want to pay taxes to educate other people's children in FL even though they and thier children enjoyed great school systems while living in CT.

February of 2022
1 Massachusetts..................................#2
2 Connecticut.....................................#1
3 Maryland.........................................# 12
4 New Jersey......................................#6
5 Virginia.......................................... .#18
36 Florida........................................... #32

EDUCATION IS THE KEY.........and it will only get worse int he future if the people flocking to FL don't want to help educate those kids in the state. And all those other low tax havens.
My God I thought I was dramatic. You guys take the cake. Jesus.
Both CT and FL will be fine in busniess, economics and education for now and the extended future. More than fine, in fact prosperous. If you're in CT or FL you are living the dream as they like to say. On Cloud 9. There is no doubt about it.

Old 10-20-2022, 11:35 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:

Uh… we long ago proved that Connecticut was not “losing good taxpayers” and “gaining poor taxpayers”. The facts show that just like has been happening for decades and decades, there are some retirees that leave for a warmer climate but their high paying jobs remained here, filled by other state residents. Jay

Old 10-20-2022, 03:44 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Uh… we long ago proved that Connecticut was not “losing good taxpayers” and “gaining poor taxpayers”. The facts show that just like has been happening for decades and decades, there are some retirees that leave for a warmer climate but their high paying jobs remained here, filled by other state residents. Jay

I have been on here for about 10 years, I think. I didn't realize CT was such a wealthy state until I started looking up information for all the CT naysayers on here. I would never know all the info I am looking up if not for this forum LOL. That is why I realized that if I stay in CT for retirement and I need any kind of financial help I have the best shot at getting it in CT.

For all the years I have been looking up info CT is always in the top 10, usually the top 5 and many times #1 in per capita income.

If we are on a slow decline how could the above be possible in a 10 year span? BTW, MA is always up there with us. Other states bounce in and out of the 10 ten but CT and MA are always there steady.

EDUCATION

Old 10-20-2022, 04:27 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:

I have been on here for about 10 years, I think. I didn't realize CT was such a wealthy state until I started looking up information for all the CT naysayers on here. I would never know all the info I am looking up if not for this forum LOL. That is why I realized that if I stay in CT for retirement and I need any kind of financial help I have the best shot at getting it in CT.

For all the years I have been looking up info CT is always in the top 10, usually the top 5 and many times #1 in per capita income.

If we are on a slow decline how could the above be possible in a 10 year span? BTW, MA is always up there with us. Other states bounce in and out of the 10 ten but CT and MA are always there steady.

EDUCATION
For a long time, like most others in our state, I thought we had a bad economy because of low growth. I was shocked when I looked up our per capita GDP and found it was the No. 1 in the country. With all the doom and gloom in the media and on this forum you’d think we were on the verge of economic collapse. Not only aren’t we close, we are about as far as you can get from it. That’s why I always note our per capita GDP ranking when the low economic growth is brought up. It’s really not that big a deal. Jay

Old 10-20-2022, 09:31 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:

CT has the healthiest capitalism in the country if not the world. CT is #1 or #2 in income inequality in the country. That is the result of capitalism running wide open throttle down the highway.

CT is the HQ of neo liberalism in the United States. This won't change until the current generation of leaders/legislators die off. So enjoy it while it lasts. Because that day is coming.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:23 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:

February of 2022
1 Massachusetts..................................... 2
2 Connecticut....................................... .1
3 Maryland.......................................... .12
4 New Jersey..........................................6
5 Virginia.......................................... ...18
36 Florida........................................... .32

EDUCATION IS THE KEY.........and it will only get worse in the future if the people flocking to FL don't want to help educate those kids in the state. And all those other low tax havens.

As I have expressed here before, I have serious doubts about how "experts" measure education rankings. Same for "good states, bad states" rankings. It all depends on what the evaluator thinks it is important. And free-thinking people really don't care what "evaluators" think.

Secondly, I also think that the economic model of public education long-term is unsustainable. I don't care what country it is, 100 years is not a long time for such complex systems to build and fall. If you read a history book past 2nd paragraph one would see that crazier things have happened. We're not the first or the last.

But short-term the question is -- if CT cannot retain its educatees, then what's the point of even boasting a high-ranking education, however flawed its yardstick is?

Old 10-21-2022, 07:44 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
As I have expressed here before, I have serious doubts about how "experts" measure education rankings. Same for "good states, bad states" rankings. It all depends on what the evaluator thinks it is important. And free-thinking people really don't care what "evaluators" think.

Secondly, I also think that the economic model of public education long-term is unsustainable. I don't care what country it is, 100 years is not a long time for such complex systems to build and fall. If you read a history book past 2nd paragraph one would see that crazier things have happened. We're not the first or the last.

But short-term the question is -- if CT cannot retain its educatees, then what's the point of even boasting a high-ranking education, however flawed its yardstick is?
Yeah I am in the field of planning right now. A lot of positions open in CT since COnn State stopped its program 15 or so years ago.

Every single town planner has expressed how hard it is to fill the employment gaps in Municipl govt.

Job posting stay up 180+ days. The recommendations a few gave me were (Unspecific to planning, but in broad strokes...)

1. Uconn and Conn State University's need to do better on advertising and funneling students to CT. MA/NY are very common, but CT also has jobs. A lot of open jobs.

2. Need more Municipal lead programs. Ie, More public policy, an urban planning and more public tracked programs at CT state uni's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut