Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2022, 07:11 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
CT does have a very high GDP, and that cannot be disputed. GDP *growth* in CT is almost dead last of all 50 states. That’s where the problem lies.

The same can be said for income growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
agreed. (I say that as a Met fan who watched his team lose a 10.5 game lead.)
I’m sorry but I strongly disagree that this is a problem. Connecticut is among the very top already for per capita Gross Domestic Product. How much more do you want or expect? The lower growth number means little since we do not have high population growth. We are still at the top. Caring about the ranking of growth in GDP is really just an ego thing more than anything else. Jay

Old 10-19-2022, 07:37 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m sorry but I strongly disagree that this is a problem. Connecticut is among the very top already for per capita Gross Domestic Product. How much more do you want or expect? The lower growth number means little since we do not have high population growth. We are still at the top. Caring about the ranking of growth in GDP is really just an ego thing more than anything else. Jay
People have been saying growth is an issue for a decade+, and we still rank highly.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:53 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
It's kinda dumb to pretend to not have a disease because one feels no pain because of painkillers. Covid outmigration from NYC to suburbs gave CT a shot in the arm. Leftwing politicians have never failed to ruin a good thing. Just wait and see...

Old 10-19-2022, 09:39 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
It's kinda dumb to pretend to not have a disease because one feels no pain because of painkillers. Covid outmigration from NYC to suburbs gave CT a shot in the arm. Leftwing politicians have never failed to ruin a good thing. Just wait and see...
If it’s as simple as left and right (it’s not), why are the majority of the top states on this list blue?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-gdp-by-state/

Old 10-19-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
People have been saying growth is an issue for a decade+, and we still rank highly.
I’ve been hearing this for at least 15 years. It hasn’t changed a thing. Jay

Old 10-19-2022, 12:49 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Covid, it's always Covid with CT.
Random Joe: The real state market is booming in CT
CT Forum detractor: yeah but only because of Covid
Random Joe: CT crime is up like the the rest of the nation
CT Forum detractor: yeah but in CT it has nothing to do with Covid

CT may not be breaking away from the pack and setting new land speed records in GDP and income growth but no one really cares anyway. Most wouldn't know a rankings list if it him them in the face. Jobs, industries, and incomes are more than fine to suit 3.4M people.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:22 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
I don’t see how it can be an ego thing when, mathematically, if Connecticut stays on the course of having among the lowest growth in the country in those categories, the ranking will inevitably drop.

According to the BEA, between Q1 and Q2 of 2022, CT’s real GDP decreased by 4.7%.

Quote:
I’ve been hearing this for at least 15 years. It hasn’t changed a thing. Jay
It actually has changed. In 2015, CT’s GDP as a percent of the USA was 1.7%. In 2020, it was 1.4%. The numbers aren’t out for 2022, but seeing that it’s dropped quite a bit as noted above, compared to the larger states who had positive growth, it’s probably near the 1-1.2% range.

That’s the consequence of negative growth and that’s all I’ll say on the matter.

Old 10-19-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I don’t see how it can be an ego thing when, mathematically, if Connecticut stays on the course of having among the lowest growth in the country in those categories, the ranking will inevitably drop.

According to the BEA, between Q1 and Q2 of 2022, CT’s real GDP decreased by 4.7%.

It actually has changed. In 2015, CT’s GDP as a percent of the USA was 1.7%. In 2020, it was 1.4%. The numbers aren’t out for 2022, but seeing that it’s dropped quite a bit as noted above, compared to the larger states who had positive growth, it’s probably near the 1-1.2% range.

That’s the consequence of negative growth and that’s all I’ll say on the matter.
I doubt it.

It’s an ego thing because some posters keep pointing to it as if it’s the end of the world. The same goes for our state’s GDP as a percentage of the national. The per capita GDP says it all as a true measure of economic health and Connecticut remains very very strong.

Also note that if you look at our GDP for the last year, you will see it grew by 1.2%. The national GDP grew by 1.1% so Connecticut outpaced it. Funny how that doesn’t make the headlines (second to last paragraph of article linked below). Again for a state that doesn’t have a large growth in population, that’s very impressive. Jay

https://ctnewsjunkie.com/2022/10/03/...ecline-in-gdp/

Old 10-19-2022, 03:02 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
I doubt it.

It’s an ego thing because some posters keep pointing to it as if it’s the end of the world. The same goes for our state’s GDP as a percentage of the national. The per capita GDP says it all as a true measure of economic health and Connecticut remains very very strong.

Also note that if you look at our GDP for the last year, you will see it grew by 1.2%. The national GDP grew by 1.1% so Connecticut outpaced it. Funny how that doesn’t make the headlines (second to last paragraph of article linked below). Again for a state that doesn’t have a large growth in population, that’s very impressive. Jay

https://ctnewsjunkie.com/2022/10/03/...ecline-in-gdp/
I didn’t get my numbers from headlines - I got them right from the BEA.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I didn’t get my numbers from headlines - I got them right from the BEA.
You aren’t the general public. That’s the problem. People don’t get the full story otherwise they would know that overall our economy is very very strong. I can’t tell you how many people think our state’s economy is doing terrible because of those headlines. They are shocked when I tell them that our per capita GDP is among the very top. Again how bad can our economy really be when we have a high per capita GDP, high income and low unemployment? What more does anyone want or expect? Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut