Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 10:08 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
CT will always be desirable and the high prices will remain.
Well, you're correct about the second part. That much I'll give you.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:53 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Hmmmm . . . .

https://ctnewsjunkie.com/2022/10/03/...ecline-in-gdp/

https://www.richstatespoorstates.org/states/CT/

https://ctmirror.org/2022/08/02/repo...ghth-worst-us/

We're not in a position to throw stones. We're still riding our coattails from all of the out-of-state transplants who came here during the pandemic. If it weren't for COVID, our state would be very, very different. And won't be able to play that card much longer. Eventually this will subside. When it does, there had better be a backup plan.
I have to caution you to consider the source of the analyses these articles referenced. They are all pretty biased with an agenda to push. To begin with as the article I linked pointed out, there was a revision to the last quarter estimate that showed more growth than originally anticipated. That impacted this quarters numbers. There’s nothing to say this quarter won’t be higher too.

As any Economist will tell you, you can’t go by one quarter results. It’s much better to look at year to date numbers to get an idea of performance. Those numbers show a much better economic condition than this one quarter.

I also would encourage you to look at the per capita GDP rankings for our state. We are still among the very top for that which means a strong economy. I just literally contacted the reporting agency about this. I was surprised they responded the next day. I explained why just reporting the change in GDP is too limited in the general public understanding these figures. Without a context, states like Connecticut get a bum rap even though our economy is among the very strongest. Surprisingly they understood and said they’d consider this in the future. Will see.

I also have to strongly disagree with you on our population growth being recent and because of the pandemic. The growth being reported by the US Census are estimates and have a large margin of error. As the 2020 US Census showed, our state has had modest growth in population for decades now. By the estimate accounts our state should have had a population drop but the final numbers actually showed a modest population increase. So much for estimates! Jay

Old 10-05-2022, 10:58 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
The WARN Act will be interesting post covid. If Black and Decker confirms layoffs are remote workers counted as CT if they are remote or not? I don't think it's 1,000 layoffs but probably a combination of layoffs with openings eliminated which isn't really the same thing.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:51 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The WARN Act will be interesting post covid. If Black and Decker confirms layoffs are remote workers counted as CT if they are remote or not? I don't think it's 1,000 layoffs but probably a combination of layoffs with openings eliminated which isn't really the same thing.
If they obey it, layoffs cannot occur until 60 days post notice. Many employers disobey it; few are fined.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:22 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
A Boston biotechnology company is relocating its headquarters to Woodbridge. They are taking a 30,000 square foot building and renovating it for office and lab space. That is a good sign that New Haven is recognized at a major center for the industry. Great news. Jay

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...-to-woodbridge

Old 10-11-2022, 09:30 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
I love New Haven but I don't think it is recognized as a major center in the biotech industry. Growing with great potential but far from a major center. Still good news for the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A Boston biotechnology company is relocating its headquarters to Woodbridge. They are taking a 30,000 square foot building and renovating it for office and lab space. That is a good sign that New Haven is recognized at a major center for the industry. Great news. Jay

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...-to-woodbridge

Old 10-11-2022, 11:45 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I love New Haven but I don't think it is recognized as a major center in the biotech industry. Growing with great potential but far from a major center. Still good news for the city.
It is good news and it's good score for the area but a little background is neccesary. It did not have actual research facilities in Boston. Rather, it's principal investigator(Lek) has a lab at Yale Medical and it partnered with Charles River Labs outside of Boston for animal trials. Their Boston address was a condo in the Longwood medical area.

It's a non-profit and it received a grant for the building from the US Government. It's moving into human trials for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy so it had to move out of the Yale lab/co-lab into it's own space.

Old 10-12-2022, 06:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
The birth of wealthy Fairfield County in 1980's

Connecticut became America's wealthiest state during the 1980's, as its residents' incomes soared and its poverty rate declined, according to newly released 1990 Census Bureau data.

"Connecticut passed Alaska in the 1980's to become the state with the highest per capita income," said James Palma Jr., the planning analyst supervisor with the Connecticut State Data Center, which analyzes Census information for state and local governments. The Census first reported that Connecticut had the nation's highest per capita income in 1986, as the Alaskan oil boom was fading.

The general picture of growing prosperity was dampened by sharp increases in housing costs. For homeowners with a mortgage, the median monthly cost rose 66.3 percent after inflation, to $1,096. Nearly one-fourth of homeowners spent at least 30 percent of their income on housing, compared with less than one-fifth spending that proportion in 1980. Among renters, 40.5 percent had monthly housing costs of at least 30 percent of their income. Housing Costs 'a Flag'

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/31/n...est-state.html

Old 10-13-2022, 12:35 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
New Haven is considered a very serious spot for biotech now. A ton of biotech companies are centered there or have office and it’s expanding. Can thank Yale for that.

New Haven also has a lot of architecture firms, some world renowned, but that’s more of a well kept secret.

Old 10-13-2022, 01:00 PM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
If you look at any list of the top biotech cities or hubs, New Haven is either not on the list or very low on the list. It IS considered a growing biotech hub for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
New Haven is considered a very serious spot for biotech now. A ton of biotech companies are centered there or have office and it’s expanding. Can thank Yale for that.

New Haven also has a lot of architecture firms, some world renowned, but that’s more of a well kept secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut