Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 12:05 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times

Advertisements

Let me fix this for ya... sunny , COLD and dry Thanksgiving Day on....

Last edited by JayCT; 11-22-2013 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Old 11-22-2013, 12:48 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
A bit disappointed today. I come home from work thinking it would be a nice day to enjoy but I have started the fire for heat because apparently it didn't get as warm as I thought. Only low 50s in CT & clouds all day.

That's a bummer considering we might be struggling past 30s for another week maybe an hour or 2 pop into the 40s but even still, that's not A/C weather. So here we go...

1. Cold air arrives in 36hrs. Check out graph below!

2. A sub 1000mb low is being shown next week which would be stronger than normal for this time of year.

3. If NYC gets measurable snow next week it will be 3 years in a row with measureable snow before Thanksgiving. Has that even happened before??

4. Blog updated on storm.

Hartford CT temps next 10 days from latest Euro.. Struggling past 30s each day after tomorrow..

Old 11-22-2013, 02:59 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

3. If NYC gets measurable snow next week it will be 3 years in a row with measureable snow before Thanksgiving. Has that even happened before??
A weather forum I can't find said during the snow earlier this month it happened once, in 1896-1898 (though for 1898 it was the night before Thanksgiving into Thanksgiving Day).

Technically it did happen if you count JFK airport since they actually recorded 0.2" with the earlier storm (while Central Park and LGA recorded a trace).

Found this on Facebook today regarding the latest thoughts:

Old 11-22-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
A weather forum I can't find said during the snow earlier this month it happened once, in 1896-1898 (though for 1898 it was the night before Thanksgiving into Thanksgiving Day).

Technically it did happen if you count JFK airport since they actually recorded 0.2" with the earlier storm (while Central Park and LGA recorded a trace).

Found this on Facebook today regarding the latest thoughts:
Thanks.

I am agreeing with that map for now except a little too much rain and too little mix in CT. East winds off warm waters will not help the coast much. the cold air above has to be impressive to cool down the precip. On the other hand, these models continue to show a strong NorEaster. (sub 1000mb) which can produce its own cold air which we have seen before.

Also note... backside stuff. As low pulls out, cold air moves in, snow will fall and maybe an inch in spots. By Sunday 7pm the details will be clearer.

This storm is taking away the fact that we have January temps coming up and even non accumulating light snow Saturday night.

And As I finished typing this I see the newest GFS just came out printing 4-6" snow for northern CT and MA/NH gets crushed with over a foot.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:01 PM

856 posts, read 2,014,990 times
This storm has been a tough sell from start to finish due to timing. Can't help but feel if thanksgiving were this week and we were full blown into Christmas cheer if people would be so adverse. Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:48 PM

Tis the season.. We've had cold air a few times before but this seems to be the worst yet and it will linger not be in and out. The worst is Sun-Mon then just stay cold afterwards. Saturday evening we'll feel the strong wind gusts from this powerful air mass moving over us. Winds maybe 40mph+ from it.

Graphic from NWS NY.

They write...
"One word will describe how it will feel on Sunday and Monday. COLD. An arctic blast of air will move into the Tri-State area behind a strong cold front passage Saturday night. High temperatures on Sunday will struggle to rise above the freezing mark. Factor in strong gusty winds and it will feel like it is in the single digits to the teens! Lows on Monday morning will range from the single digits across the interior to near 20 degrees in NYC. Brrrrrrr!"

Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,412 times
Its looking extremely cold Thanksgiving Eve through Friday. Low of 17 for Thanksgiving night! Next weekend looks very cold as well.

• Wednesday Night A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Thanksgiving Day Mostly sunny, with a high near 33.
  • Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 17.
  • Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 32.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:26 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Its looking extremely cold Thanksgiving Eve through Friday. Low of 17 for Thanksgiving night! Next weekend looks very cold as well.

• Wednesday Night A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Thanksgiving Day Mostly sunny, with a high near 33.
  • Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 17.
  • Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 32.
I don't ever remember seeing cold like that around the Thanksgiving timeframe. Sure for a day during a storm but arctic air in November is quite rare. If this was January with this system we would be seeing a high in the upper teens at most.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I don't ever remember seeing cold like that around the Thanksgiving timeframe. Sure for a day during a storm but arctic air in November is quite rare. If this was January with this system we would be seeing a high in the upper teens at most.
I don't know, maybe I'm too old but I remember as a kid in the 80s having some really cold Thanksgivings. Or maybe it was the 90s. Now you gave me an idea on putting a graph together. But yeah, whenever records are tested it means it hasn't gotten that cold for decades.

And Euro hinted at another potential arctic outbreak in early December. Still way out there though.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I don't know, maybe I'm too old but I remember as a kid in the 80s having some really cold Thanksgivings. Or maybe it was the 90s. Now you gave me an idea on putting a graph together. But yeah, whenever records are tested it means it hasn't gotten that cold for decades.

And Euro hinted at another potential arctic outbreak in early December. Still way out there though.
It was the 90s, I was a 20-something adult then, but what I remember is going on a couple of those Thanksgivings to the Macy's parade with my (not yet) wife and her young (now 20-something himself) nephew. I mistakenly thought back then that all Thanksgivings are cold and I just didn't noticed because I wasn't outside for hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut