Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 04:15 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Bundle up the kids this morning...

2nd coldest Minimum of season for me. 26.5° here. Light winds from North. Clear Skies. 19 Danbury. 20 Windsor Locks. 30 Bridgeport. 26 New Haven. Bridgeport again the warm spot.

We warm up to 40s today and tomorrow 50s then the real cold stuff comes in..

Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 AM

Do you guys remember way back then when we used to have cold holidays and very cold winters? Well... Thanksgiving looks cold with scattered flurries around. And after tomorrow there might not be any turning back.

1st column is temps, 2nd column is temps at 4000' above our heads. Latest GFS says 850mb temps stay below freezing after Friday until the end of its run (December 7th). Surface temps are cold as well staying below 50 during day and 20s/30s at night.

Of course anything after next week can change but the fact that I'm not seeing the opposite is a tell tale sign what type of pattern we are in and entering. No warm torch pattern like some previous years.

Record Lows possible Monday says Upton. This morning Danbury, BDL, and Willimantic all hit 17°. Last November (Top 10 coolest) Danbury Did not even go below 20.

Attached Thumbnails
New Connecticut Weather Thread-data19e.jpg  

Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 AM

754 posts, read 1,017,845 times
That storm is gone camb?

Old 11-21-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
That storm is gone camb?
See my blog and ask me there. There's no trolls in there and this way we don't use up a thousand pages in here. I'll use this thread for OBS and a few short term updates for Connecticut.. You'll see snow showers on Sunday and Tuesday. Typical winter stuff.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:46 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quite this morning across the whole Tri-State area = temps fell into the upper teens in the interior and into the 20’s across other parts of the region. Right now still some low 20’s in parts of northern CT and northern NJ…to mid 20,s, 30’s and a few 40’s in coastal areas (Long island is warmest):

Today begins the slow moderation of temps until Sunday: We should head toward upper 40's - 50 F today, Friday, and Saturday. Light RAIN showers should move through on Friday into early Saturday, then dry and sunny weather thereafter. Today we should make near 50 F in some spots:\

Last edited by wavehunter007; 11-21-2013 at 07:11 AM..

Old 11-21-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
That storm is gone camb?

It does appear to be little issues with any storm next week in the Tri-State area. As is typical, I think using the early runs of the models by some people are good for drumming up excitement/hype...but the models generally always come around to a more logical and seasonal forecast. It's likely a good thing, a little rainy weather on Tuesday maybe Wed, then sunny skies and cold and dry weather for the Thanksgiving holiday should make for little travel issues from the NY/NJ/CT area southward.

FXUS61 KOKX 211150
AFDOKX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
650 AM EST THU NOV 21 2013

AFTER MONDAY...LARGER DIFFERENCES START TO APPEAR WITH THE OVERALL
PROGRESSION OF THE SYNOPTIC PATTERN. 21/00Z GFS KEEPS THE NORTHERN
STREAM LESS AMPLIFIED THAN EARLIER RUNS...EVEN QUICKLY BRINGING A
SHORTWAVE ACROSS THE AREA MONDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY TUESDAY. THE
FASTER FLOW ALOFT IN THE GFS KEEPS THE CLOSED LOW IN THE SOUTHERN
STREAM FARTHER SOUTH...AND THE RESULTANT SURFACE LOW PRESSURE
FARTHER OFF THE EAST COAST WEDNESDAY INTO THANKSGIVING DAY.
MEANWHILE...THE 21/00Z ECMWF KEEPS THE NORTHERN STREAM MORE
AMPLIFIED...ALLOWING THE SOUTHERN LOW TO BE ABSORBED QUICKER ALONG
THE EAST COAST. THIS BRINGS THE SURFACE LOW...IN SOMEWHAT OF A
STRUNG-OUT MANNER...MUCH CLOSER TO THE COAST. THIS SOLUTION DOES
APPEAR TO HAVE MORE 21/00Z ENSEMBLE SUPPORT. IN TURN...DID NOT STRAY
MUCH FROM PREVIOUS FORECAST. DID NOT GET FANCY WITH PTYPE
CONSIDERING THIS IS NEAR THE END OF THE LONG TERM...BUT THE CURRENT
CONSENSUS SUPPORTS MOSTLY RAIN ACROSS THE AREA
...WITH SOME SNOW IN
THE INTERIOR PRIMARILY LATE WEDNESDAY.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
It does appear to be little issues with any storm next week in the Tri-State area. As is typical, I think using the early runs of the models by some people are good for drumming up excitement/hype...but the models generally always come around to a more logical and seasonal forecast. It's likely a good thing, a little rainy weather on Tuesday maybe Wed, then sunny skies and cold and dry weather for the Thanksgiving holiday should make for little travel issues from the NY/NJ/CT area southward.

FXUS61 KOKX 211150
AFDOKX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
650 AM EST THU NOV 21 2013

AFTER MONDAY...LARGER DIFFERENCES START TO APPEAR WITH THE OVERALL
PROGRESSION OF THE SYNOPTIC PATTERN. 21/00Z GFS KEEPS THE NORTHERN
STREAM LESS AMPLIFIED THAN EARLIER RUNS...EVEN QUICKLY BRINGING A
SHORTWAVE ACROSS THE AREA MONDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY TUESDAY. THE
FASTER FLOW ALOFT IN THE GFS KEEPS THE CLOSED LOW IN THE SOUTHERN
STREAM FARTHER SOUTH...AND THE RESULTANT SURFACE LOW PRESSURE
FARTHER OFF THE EAST COAST WEDNESDAY INTO THANKSGIVING DAY.
MEANWHILE...THE 21/00Z ECMWF KEEPS THE NORTHERN STREAM MORE
AMPLIFIED...ALLOWING THE SOUTHERN LOW TO BE ABSORBED QUICKER ALONG
THE EAST COAST. THIS BRINGS THE SURFACE LOW...IN SOMEWHAT OF A
STRUNG-OUT MANNER...MUCH CLOSER TO THE COAST. THIS SOLUTION DOES
APPEAR TO HAVE MORE 21/00Z ENSEMBLE SUPPORT. IN TURN...DID NOT STRAY
MUCH FROM PREVIOUS FORECAST. DID NOT GET FANCY WITH PTYPE
CONSIDERING THIS IS NEAR THE END OF THE LONG TERM...BUT THE CURRENT
CONSENSUS SUPPORTS MOSTLY RAIN ACROSS THE AREA
...WITH SOME SNOW IN
THE INTERIOR PRIMARILY LATE WEDNESDAY.
In agreement with this in that most other weather forums and FB pages I've been on seem to think that all rain south of I-84 and nothing sticking between there and an I-88/I-90 line except in the Catskills (but definitely snow north and west of that).

Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
This morning featured the coldest temps I've seen yet this season: 18 degrees in Marlborough.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
In agreement with this in that most other weather forums and FB pages I've been on seem to think that all rain south of I-84 and nothing sticking between there and an I-88/I-90 line except in the Catskills (but definitely snow north and west of that).

Agree...that seems very logical at this point.

I think any travel issues this Thanksgiving Holiday will all be north and west of the East Coast. Any precip that falls will be rain from Rhode island south to North Carolina. Maybe the highest elevations of the Appachalns might see some snow, otherwise it will be too warm. The 540 line actually come up after the cold blast on Sunday, and by Tue is actually above CT again, so it would be hard to get snow below that.

If your looking for a good logical (and non - hype) forecaster to follow...read/watch E. Abrams. He is logical and methodical, and witty too - lol. Here is todays post, he shows how the GFS and Euro (and 540 line) would all give rain to the East Coast:

Cold Wave on the Way - Northeast U.S. Weather Blog Weather Blog

Old 11-21-2013, 07:59 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
This morning featured the coldest temps I've seen yet this season: 18 degrees in Marlborough.
Yes, I was shocked when my car thermometer popped down from 23 to 19 as I was driving by Marlborough on Rt 2 this morning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut