Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 12:22 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Pueblo made it into the Washington Post today with a story about its shopping mall doing well despite the death of many malls across the nation.
Thank you for posting that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 02:59 PM

It is more difficult to read the article as they want you to subscribe to them and since the Denver Post ran the same story I thought I would post the link as it is easier to read. This is a great story and what I have said for years why the Pueblo Mall will survive where others will not.

This is from the Denver Post.

Why the Pueblo Mall continues to draw customers in the age of online shopping

The Pueblo Mall is an outlier in the age of Amazon.com, when socks and laundry detergent and televisions – nearly anything you can think of – can be delivered to your front stoop within hours. The rise of online shopping has summoned a death knell for some of the old standard-bearers of retail.

“What this means is that these malls are safe,” said Brian Harper, CEO of New York City-based Rouse Properties, which owns 34 malls in 19 states. “If you’re, say, the third or fourth mall in Cleveland, Ohio, you’ve got to reinvent.”

The link: Pueblo Mall continues to draw customers in the age of online shopping

Old 05-23-2017, 12:06 PM

Today the Pueblo Chieftain ran a article on the article the Washington Post ran lol.

It was actually good.

This is from the Chieftain:

Pueblo Mall's success catches eye of Washington Post

Readers of The Washington Post received a reminder this weekend that the death of shopping malls has been greatly exaggerated.

The newspaper's proof? The Pueblo Mall.

Under the headline, "The place where old-fashioned malls are beating Amazon: Small-town America," The Post published a long news story that focuses on the success of the Pueblo Mall.

The link: Pueblo Mall's success catches eye of Washington Post | Pueblo Chieftain

Old 05-23-2017, 03:14 PM

22,822 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Have to admit I'm one of the old timers that likes to actually check out the purses, shoes,
or whatever I'm going to purchase. I don't go to the mall a lot but do buy bedding, appliances
and other items there, walk around and enjoy the food court.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
More good news for the Pueblo area due to being the marijuana Valley!

The metro has topped 165,000 for the first time reaching 165,123 people. While the region aka CSA is now 212,569 people! Also at peak population!!

This is from the Chieftain:

A second straight year of moderate growth has put Pueblo County's population above the 165,000 mark, according to 2016 estimates released this month by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Pueblo County added an estimated 2,006 people last year to push its population to 165,123, according to the census bureau.

The link: Pueblo area tops 165,000 people | Pueblo Chieftain
Not only is the metro and CSA up but Pueblo proper is at a all time high too. According to the paper the city of Pueblo's population topped 110,000 for the first time last year, according to municipal population estimates released this week by the U.S. Census Bureau. Pueblo's city population of 110,291 was up from 108,981 in 2015, the agency said. The gain of 1,310 people represents a modest annual growth rate of 1.2 percent.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,069 times
Hey all!
I've just spent the better part of an hour reading lightly through this thread. I'm still not sure this is the correct place for my question, but here goes anyway (if not, feel free to lob it off the mountains and I'll pick it back up)-
I am a 42 mother who is has been accepted to CSU Pueblo for the fall 2017. The problem is that me and the family are in California. Because I'm a full time student and disabled our family is on the date to date plan with our finances; saving is impossible.
We need to get to Pueblo by mid-July at the latest, find a place to live and a job for my husband (currently a school bus driver) and the little one registered for school.
Does anyone on this board have any suggestions, ideas, words of wisdom, kernels of kindness that I might be able to make use of to find our way from here to there I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:32 AM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
This is a page that has school calendars for where your little one might go - Calendars - Pueblo City Schools Internet Check there for job postings too - They have an ad on the main page saying they need school bus drivers and to call 719 549-7217 for more info. Talk to CSU Pueblo for recommendations on housing - I don't think they have family housing but they have had students from out of state and overseas, etc., before and may be able to recommend some places to you and guide you on how to qualify if you will be using financial aid toward your housing, etc. And at this point, I'd say stay close to the school if possible and move quickly meaning I wouldn't be turning down a lot of available housing that you can qualify for at this point.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:26 PM

Thank you so much otowi
My husband called the number this morning - he had previously applied and was rejected because of his out of state address - and was told to apply when he got into town and they would get set up. Not sure what that meant exactly, but I'm taking it as a positive lead.
The university had nothing at all for me on the off campus housing front. I was really surprised at that, to be honest. Speaking to your last sentence, are you saying that available housing dries up rapidly as we approach the fall semester? I'm getting the feeling that moving sooner rather than later is the wise choice, not waiting until mid-July... am I correct on this?
Sorry for all the questions, I haven't moved out of state like this before (unbelievable for 41) and we are going somewhere that we know nothing and no one, so it's a bit nerve wracking.

Thank you for the reply, I look forward to more - and more information. :-)

Old 05-30-2017, 09:52 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I just think it can take a while to find a place you can afford depending on the details of your situation and with all the logistics of moving and closing or signing lease papers, etc., you really don't have a lot of time given that school, etc., starts in August. To have a place to move in to mid-July you may need to be closing/signing on a place in just a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRunaway View Post
Thank you so much otowi
My husband called the number this morning - he had previously applied and was rejected because of his out of state address - and was told to apply when he got into town and they would get set up. Not sure what that meant exactly, but I'm taking it as a positive lead.
The university had nothing at all for me on the off campus housing front. I was really surprised at that, to be honest. Speaking to your last sentence, are you saying that available housing dries up rapidly as we approach the fall semester? I'm getting the feeling that moving sooner rather than later is the wise choice, not waiting until mid-July... am I correct on this?
Sorry for all the questions, I haven't moved out of state like this before (unbelievable for 41) and we are going somewhere that we know nothing and no one, so it's a bit nerve wracking.

Thank you for the reply, I look forward to more - and more information. :-)

Old 05-31-2017, 08:28 PM

Indeed. As a renter I know that when you need something quickly there is rarely what you need, or even the least you can take.
We are definitely putting the spurs to it, the best we can. I worked way to hard for this, it can't be lost now.

Once again, thank you very much for your responses and your insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado