Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2006, 09:44 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me something about Pueblo? I've been on some of the websites concerning the town and county, but, I would like some input from anyone who has spent a reasonable amount of time there, or who lives there presently. I've been checking out some smaller areas, but, I figured it couldn't hurt to check out a few larger places (but not huge!), for better comparison. Employment, weather, people, realestate, etc. Pros and cons, good and bad; I'm interested in it all. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 03:51 PM
WWS

3 posts, read 7,656 times
Smile colorado city

If you want to live close to Pueblo but in a smaller less busy town you should try colorado city. It's about 25 miles from pueblo and has a small town feel.

It also has a new grocery store being built and it should be done by the start of next year. You can get some good deals on homes in this area too. I've lived here for a long time so if you have any questions I'll answer the best I can.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:51 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,938 times
So, what are you looking for a in City? What are you hobbies? What kinda job are you looking for? Then we can give you some idea. Honestly, I don't know much about Pueblo. BASHEP

Old 10-16-2006, 08:00 AM

129 posts, read 1,228,537 times
We lived just outside Pueblo from 1999 - 2005.

The real estate is relatively inexpensive to downright cheap (there are a lot of very small, old homes on the market that fall into the "downright cheap" category, all the way up to very nice, large, new homes that are reasonably priced).

Employment: very limited unless you are looking for something that pays under $10/hr. I'm a retired software designer/programmer. Just out of curiousity, I checked the Pueblo paper frequently during our 5+ years there to see what sort of programming-related jobs were advertised (anything related to computers/IT). Number of jobs l saw listed in 5+ years: 0. When companies move to Pueblo, they often announce that they'll be offering "Pueblo-scale" wages. Translation: we can get away with paying people a lot less here than we usually do.

Weather: fairly mild winters (not much snow, lots of sunshine), and very hot summers (low 100s are quite common). Very dry.

People: very friendly and warm. Pueblo often has a small-town feel to it, even though it has a population of over 130,000. About 40% Hispanic -- with many people having ancestors who came to the region hundreds of years ago. Great southwestern cultural feel to the place!

Traffic: seldom congested by "city" standards.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:45 PM

746 posts, read 1,325,098 times
I'd love to hear more about the Pueblo area too, Penrose, Canon City etc.

How many days a year over 100 in Pueblo?

What kind of grocery is going to be in Colorado City?

Old 10-17-2006, 07:55 AM

Here's a site that gives a lot of historical weather stats for any location (I think the link will take you directly to Pueblo stats):

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...=046427&refer=

I remember one exceptionally hot July in Pueblo where we had temps over 100 on all but 2 or 3 days. I'd guess, though, that a normal summer might see 100+ temps on about 10 - 15 days.

Grocery stores:
Right now, Colorado City has a small grocery store, but WWS mentions that a new, larger one is being built
Canon City has a City Market (supermarket - part of the Kroger chain of stores)
I don't recall seeing a grocery store in Penrose.
Pueblo has 2 King Soopers stores (also Kroger chain), 1 (or is it 2?) Safeways, 1 Albertsons, 1 Albertsons "Discount" store, 2 Super Wal-Marts, plus several health food stores

Old 10-17-2006, 07:54 PM

746 posts, read 1,325,098 times
Thanks much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winglady View Post
I remember one exceptionally hot July in Pueblo where we had temps over 100 on all but 2 or 3 days. I'd guess, though, that a normal summer might see 100+ temps on about 10 - 15 days.
Do you need a/c for that or is it a dry heat?

Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Do you need a/c for that or is it a dry heat?
It's very dry heat. A/C is great, but many people also use evaporative coolers (a.k.a. "swamp coolers") in Pueblo and similar climates here in Colorado. Much less expensive to install, much less cost to operate, and they work well in the very low humidity. We find that the humidity added to the air inside our home using the swamp cooler actually makes it more comfortable than the extreme dryness of using A/C.

(We had A/C in our place near Pueblo; swamp cooler in our place on the Western Slope)

Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Hmmm. This little thread here predates me by a few months.

Please check out my photo tours of the area if you get bored. They're buried in here somewhere. I've got one of Easter Colorado too; Bent and Prowers county and a little bit of LaJunta. I'd love to get one of the Pinion Canyon area sometime too.

The job situation in Pueblo is still horrible for my field, but Vestas Wind Systems will be out here soon manufacturing wind turbine towers; supposedly the biggest plant in the world. This could bring about 500 jobs. That is something to look forward to for sure.

Oh, we have some goof Mexican and Italian food here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado