Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:54 PM

216 posts, read 190,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Prospect Lake and Memorial Park are great - it is a nice about 1-mile walk around the lake. It gets stocked for some fishing. I am not sure what it is like there after dark - it used to not be great but not sure about current status - , but during daylight it is a wonderful place to be. Memorial Park, of which Prospect Lake is part of, can provide an even longer walk by a few miles at least and has lots of amenities like playgrounds, ice skating rink, velodrome, playing fields of some kinds, etc. The firefigher memorial is also there. Prospect Lake has a swimming beach but I think they're remodeling this year so closed but should be open next year. Memorial Park also has this clock that has these beautiful chimes.
Nice, thanks for filling me in, otowi! I like taking walks for exercise and will also be getting a bike once I make my move to Cos and that's something I definitely do in the daytime. I also noticed on the map that further north up S Union Blvd, there's a US Olympic Training Center. Is it a place that the general public can also access?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 01:00 PM

6,829 posts, read 10,548,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
Nice, thanks for filling me in, otowi! I like taking walks for exercise and will also be getting a bike once I make my move to Cos and that's something I definitely do in the daytime. I also noticed on the map that further north up S Union Blvd, there's a US Olympic Training Center. Is it a place that the general public can also access?
I think you can do tours there. I've been there on a tour many years ago.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think you can do tours there. I've been there on a tour many years ago.
Yes, I just looked it up on their website and they offer tours:

https://www.teamusa.org/about-the-us...rs/csotc/tours

The following sports team train in Colorado Springs:

Boxing
Cycling (Olympic and Paralympic)
Figure skating
Gymnastics
Paralympic Judo
Pentathlon
Shooting (Olympic and Paralympic)
Paralympic Swimming
Wrestling

It would be cool to watch the practices, especially boxing and wrestling! Both of my sons wrestled in high school and my dad boxed in high school and the Navy. The Velodrome for the Olympic Training Center is in Memorial Park and it would be fun watching them train and compete in practice!

Old 07-31-2019, 10:10 AM

Crunch time now in finding an apartment in Cos! My friend there and her husband that live in Cos are scouting places out for me. They're concentrating for places on the west side of Cos and there are places available within my price range, it's just narrowing it down to a clean and decent place. Hopefully, we'll have found and secured a place by the weekend. Wish me luck! I'll post back to this thread to let you all know how it goes!

Old 07-31-2019, 10:49 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,200,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
Crunch time now in finding an apartment in Cos! My friend there and her husband that live in Cos are scouting places out for me. They're concentrating for places on the west side of Cos and there are places available within my price range, it's just narrowing it down to a clean and decent place. Hopefully, we'll have found and secured a place by the weekend. Wish me luck! I'll post back to this thread to let you all know how it goes!
Welcome!

Bring CASH, lots and lots of CASH:

https://gazette.com/business/colorad...f2cbc7d4c.html

Old 08-01-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Welcome!

Bring CASH, lots and lots of CASH:

https://gazette.com/business/colorad...f2cbc7d4c.html
Yeah, just from when I looked earlier this year, rents have gone up. My friends were able to find apartments in my rental budget range and are going to check them out for me to find one that's suitable for me.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:41 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,868,427 times
Landlords can do whatever the h_ll they want, but what some of them are renting their crappy little 3-room apartments for is a travesty. I really feel for people trying to find decent living arrangements but can't, despite their budget being a perfectly acceptable average.

There are some reasonable rents still out there ... but you really have to dig to find them.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:36 AM

26,242 posts, read 49,140,136 times
One trick some people use is to post a "housing wanted" ad on craigslist (it's free). Tell them your age, situation, background, etc, and sometimes a landlord or property owner will contact you. Worth a shot.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the advice and sending good vibes my way! My friends have found 3 places and I found 3 more and they're going to check them out on Saturday. We decided to stick with the west side of Cos at their advice. Hopefully my friends find a suitable place that's clean and in good shape and no bugs.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:04 AM

I have good news! With the help of my friends, Schatzi and her husband, I've secured a nice apartment in Colorado Springs that's within my rental budget! It's about a four mile drive south of the Garden of the Gods and just north of Old Colorado City, two of my favorite places in Cos and not far from Manitou Springs, another place near Cos that I think is pretty cool! It's a little further drive to get to my son, daughter in law and grandsons in Elbert, but only four miles away from where my friends, Schatzi and her husband live. I'll be driving out to Cos the last week of August to pay the rent and security deposit and get the keys to the place the Thursday or Friday before Labor Day weekend.

Schatzi and her husband looked at several places that they and I found online but most were dumps and were getting snatched up like wildfire. Schatzi told me that a bunch of soldiers were being transferred to Fort Carson and there's not enough room in the barracks on base for them and the apartment market in Cos is being flooded as a result, so I was fortunate that Schatzi and her husband found a decent place for me in my price range. Once they found the place, we had to move on it fast and they faxed me the rental application and I faxed it back with my proof of income and Schatzi got it submitted with the application fee and deposit early the next day, which was this past Friday. I got the call yesterday that I got the place.

Advice to those of you wanting to move to Cos from a distant place is that you'll need somebody with "boots on the ground" in Cos to assist you and you both will have to move fast to secure a place when you find a decent one. I was also told that the deeper in the year we get, it's almost impossible to find a place as nobody is moving when the weather is cold.

Once I'm settled into my place, if anybody here is interested, maybe we can have a get together at the Colorado Mountain Brewery at the Roundhouse. Private message me if you're interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs