Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 01:02 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,761,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
That's an ingenious method, but the sides of the car aren't protected, so I think I'll opt for the inflatable Hail Protector and try to find a parking spot away from others so that the hail doesn't bounce off of the Hail Protector and damage the car next to me.

Hail Protector

My compact SUV/Crossover is 178.7 inches long, so the "Car 2 Protector" at $249 would fit over my car. If my kids ask me what I want for Fathers Day 2020, I'll tell them the "Car 2 Protector"!
So what do you do if the hail storm hits unexpectedly while you are at the grocery store or driving down I-25? Going to be pretty hard to whip out your hail protector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 02:12 PM

6,834 posts, read 10,632,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
So what do you do if the hail storm hits unexpectedly while you are at the grocery store or driving down I-25? Going to be pretty hard to whip out your hail protector.
There just isn't much you can do in that situation but ride it out. Sometimes you have time to get your car under some kind of cover, but often you don't. That exact situation has happened to me - going down the Interstate and suddenly there was a quick severe hail squall that in 30 seconds was 6 inches deep on the highway and brought everything to a standstill - no way to get out of it, you just had to sit and wait it out and deal with the damage later.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:01 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,213,052 times
I know some folks that were on I-25 near Ft. Carson when the big hail (softball size and larger) hit the zoo last summer.

They all had major damage and there was no way to get to any cover.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:08 AM

216 posts, read 192,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Yes, this can very well happen, but being a weather observer since my service in the USAF, it's a passion of mine to be a weather watcher and pay attention to the forecasts. I have a buddy I served with in Germany who lives in Grand Junction and he observes and reports on Western Slope weather and I observe and report Front Range weather, to each other, family and friends, so being informed about the weather and aware of when storms are probable reduces getting caught with ones pants down. If you do get caught in a hail storm on I-25, get under a bridge and wait it out.

I don't have a garage, they just aren't available at my apartment complex, and it would be nice to have some sort of protection against hail during the times when it's probable to hit so I can cover the car up before it happens. I may not even get one, but for now, I'm thinking of it.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Read the reviews on Amazon and take your chances!
Good advice LHS79! I just read about 20 of the reviews on Amazon and the HailProtector is rated OK by most. If I go with it, I'm going to try it out before I need to use it!

Old 10-23-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
There just isn't much you can do in that situation but ride it out. Sometimes you have time to get your car under some kind of cover, but often you don't. That exact situation has happened to me - going down the Interstate and suddenly there was a quick severe hail squall that in 30 seconds was 6 inches deep on the highway and brought everything to a standstill - no way to get out of it, you just had to sit and wait it out and deal with the damage later.
This happened to me years back when driving through New Mexico on my way to Arizona. Got hit with a doozy of a hail storm and chunks of ice pummeled my car and covered the road. I didn't stop and was able to drive slowly out of it, but I thought my windshield would get shattered, but it didn't! I was driving a 1968 Volvo 144S and they're built like tanks and I didn't even get any dents!

Old 10-29-2019, 10:02 AM

My daughter drove a van here from Rochester and brought the rest of my stuff such as wall hangings, photos and keepsakes that I didn't have room for in my car when I moved here. So nice of her to do this and of course, I paid for the expenses. Yesterday after the snow let up, I treated her to Mexican and we had dinner at Amanda's Cantina and Fonda in Manitou Springs and we had a great dinner, drinks and service, nice people there and we had the whole place to ourselves as the weather was still not good.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:18 AM

When the snow finally moved out of here yesterday (10/30), I took my daughter to Old Colorado City. The sun was out and everything looked beautiful with the freshly fallen snow, but we didn't last long on our walk as it was still cold out, so we headed over to the Front Range BBQ for linner. It was good BBQ, good service and a cool atmosphere! I have been here before on a Saturday evening about a month back to see the Red Mountain Boys play (good bluegrass band BTW!) but I didn't eat and only had a few beers and it was a good experience then as well. Front Range BBQ is a place to go to for a good meal and good time!

Old 11-03-2019, 08:28 AM

Yesterday (Sat., 11/2/2019) we got a great day for a hike and to show my daughter Red Rock Canyon Open Space. My younger son, daughter in law, grandsons and I hiked this before, but my daughter has never been there before. We had a great day for it with temperatures in the high 30s and low 40s, but sunny skies and no wind, beautiful conditions for a hike. There's still a lot of snow on the ground and the trails were sometimes snow packed or wet from the melt off, but they were all passable and it was way cool hiking through the snow amidst red sandstone rock formations with the snow capped mountains in the background under beautiful sunny skies and comfortable temperature. I had a sweatshirt and a hoodie on and was comfortable. We had a great time!

Afterwards, I treated for lunch at Mountain Shadows Restaurant in Old Colorado City and it did not disappoint! Our party was not the easiest to accommodate, 4 adults and 2 children (a 3 year old and 7 month old) but they put a couple of tables together in the front corner of the seating, a booster seat and a high chair and we were seated within minutes. Tara welcomed us like we were family and I made sure to introduce my family to her! Everyone loved Mountain Shadows and our meals and service were excellent.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:42 AM

18,739 posts, read 33,584,517 times
It sounds like you are having a happy adjustment to life here, congratulations and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs