Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 10:27 AM

216 posts, read 189,522 times

Advertisements

Yesterday (Sat., 10/12) I met up with my younger son, daughter in law and grandsons (#1 and #3, #2 is back in the Rochester area) at Red Rock Canyon Open Space for a great day of hiking on a perfect day to do so! It's a beautiful place! The quarry is one of the spots we visited along with the pond. We started on the Sand Canyon Trail, then cut over to the Mesa Trail, then the Quarry Pass Trail over to the Red Rock Rim Trail, then back to the parking lot off of W. High St. We did pass through the northern part of the land fill and got a good whiff of methane gas. There's so many trails there and we will be back to discover more of the area! A C-17 was circling overhead for a lot of the hike, that's one big aircraft! Afterwards, I treated them for lunch at the Colorado Mountain Brewery at the Round House. They loved it there and we got a great lunch!

Here's a link to a page about the quarries which operated in the late 1800s in Red Rock Canyon:

THE RED ROCK QUARRIES

Last edited by rochester_veteran; 10-13-2019 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: added link to THE RED ROCK QUARRIES
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 07:41 PM

Well, as of today (10/15/2009) I'm officially a Coloradoan! Despite spending hours in DMV hell, I finally got my Colorado drivers license, car registration and Rocky Mountain topped license plates! I'm glad I'm retired as it took an entire afternoon to get this done. I knew this would take a while, even with me having all my ducks in a row, but it's done now and next time I will renew online. Gladly mailing my NYS license plates back to Albany, NY tomorrow!

Old 10-19-2019, 02:02 PM

One big surprise was my car insurance rates have almost doubled from where I lived in Rochester! I was told by the agent that it's due to the high amount of accidents here involving uninsured drivers and I mentioned the 75 MPH speed limit and she told me that's a factor as well. One observation from me is that Colorado Springs drivers do drive fast! I push the speed limit by 5 MPH, sometimes a little faster depending on traffic conditions, so unless I need to make a left, I usually drive in the right lane on 4 lane roads, just stay out the way of those that live for speed!

Old 10-19-2019, 02:14 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Two other aspects add to auto insurance rates in Colorado:
1. Dinged and cracked windshields owing to all the pebbles on the roads here. (Pays to stay well back of large trucks.)
2. Hail storms that can wreck all the glass and panels on a vehicle. (Pays to have a garage and use it.)
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Two other aspects add to auto insurance rates in Colorado:
1. Dinged and cracked windshields owing to all the pebbles on the roads here. (Pays to stay well back of large trucks.)
2. Hail storms that can wreck all the glass and panels on a vehicle. (Pays to have a garage and use it.)
Yeah, Mike, my son who lives in Elbert warned me about getting dinged and cracked windshields here and his cars have them. They've also gotten dinged up by hail and had to have a roof replacement on their house due to a hailstorm, house windows too! That's one thing I don't have is a garage and I'm looking into hail car protectors, but haven't gotten one yet. I have to get new tires next month so the hail car protector will have to wait for now.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:17 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
Yeah, Mike, my son who lives in Elbert warned me about getting dinged and cracked windshields here and his cars have them. They've also gotten dinged up by hail and had to have a roof replacement on their house due to a hailstorm, house windows too! That's one thing I don't have is a garage and I'm looking into hail car protectors, but haven't gotten one yet. I have to get new tires next month so the hail car protector will have to wait for now.
Hail season is probably over until next year, the biggest time for that is the summer monsoon, mostly June, July, August.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Hail season is probably over until next year, the biggest time for that is the summer monsoon, mostly June, July, August.
Yup, that's what I figured, so I have some time to decide to get one (or not) of those hail car protectors. You drape them over your car and inflate them. I'd rather have a garage, but they aren't available at the apartment complex that I live in.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:33 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Quote:
Yup, that's what I figured, so I have some time to decide to get one (or not) of those hail car protectors. You drape them over your car and inflate them. I'd rather have a garage, but they aren't available at the apartment complex that I live in.
People were making their own with swim noodles - seemed to work just fine. Lots of folks down here in my neighborhood that didn't have a garage bought a covered parking structure in the past year - those companies did good business here for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9bmCOkHjmQ

Old 10-22-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
People were making their own with swim noodles - seemed to work just fine. Lots of folks down here in my neighborhood that didn't have a garage bought a covered parking structure in the past year - those companies did good business here for sure.
That's an ingenious method, but the sides of the car aren't protected, so I think I'll opt for the inflatable Hail Protector and try to find a parking spot away from others so that the hail doesn't bounce off of the Hail Protector and damage the car next to me.

Hail Protector

My compact SUV/Crossover is 178.7 inches long, so the "Car 2 Protector" at $249 would fit over my car. If my kids ask me what I want for Fathers Day 2020, I'll tell them the "Car 2 Protector"!

Old 10-22-2019, 10:59 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,784 times
Quote:
That's an ingenious method, but the sides of the car aren't protected, so I think I'll opt for the inflatable Hail Protector and try to find a parking spot away from others so that the hail doesn't bounce off of the Hail Protector and damage the car next to me.

Hail Protector

My compact SUV/Crossover is 178.7 inches long, so the "Car 2 Protector" at $249 would fit over my car. If my kids ask me what I want for Fathers Day 2020, I'll tell them the "Car 2 Protector"!
Read the reviews on Amazon and take your chances!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs