Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 05:11 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,263,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
Why go to another city, or even another part of town, when the trouble makers are two blocks from downtown?
There is a sizeable population OUTSIDE of Greenville and Pitt that come to the uptown area during the weekend. Deterring these people is a positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I saw that as well, my first thought was 'hotel'. I wonder if they'll utilize that space by tearing it down & integrating it into part of a hotel. If they could get that going it would be phenomenal. After that, it would be awesome to see a new building go up where the stop shop / Sup Dogs is. They both can stay but it would be great to have a clean updated building on that corner instead of that ratty looking old gas station. One step at a time & this was a huge step that was taken yesterday, no doubt about it.

I'm usually not a proponent of a city running a business out of town, but in this case it is more than welcome. That place was a blight on the area, I don't feel sorry for the owner one bit. Will this stop the thugs & fools from starting problems, no. But hoepfully they can start it in another part of town away from the downtown area. Better yet, go drive over to Kinston or Wilson & start it over there.
Sup Dogs has been a semi-unexpected success. They upgraded their deck recently, among other upgrades. I would love to see them allow an upgraded building, but who knows how it will play out.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:42 PM

277 posts, read 436,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
There is a sizeable population OUTSIDE of Greenville and Pitt that come to the uptown area during the weekend. Deterring these people is a positive.
Yeah, it's a positive if they don't go downtown anymore. But they'll continue to go downtown. Only now they'll be in the other bars.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:28 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,767,363 times
Quote:
Sup Dogs has been a semi-unexpected success. They upgraded their deck recently, among other upgrades. I would love to see them allow an upgraded building, but who knows how it will play out.
I've seen Sup Dogs packed or even overflowing on any given evening. You can't really re-create atmosphere, so it's almost too bad that it's part of a hideous building. That corner lot is worth quite a fortune, and I can't imagine an owner not wanting to capitalize on the current revitalization taking place. I also can't see hotel guests wanting a room next to a place that can generate a lot of outdoor noise. Maybe after the new parking deck is built, the parking lot behind the Pita Pit can be converted into an outdoor plaza in which Sup Dogs could have outdoor seating (without much of a different view that they already have), simply by moving across 5th St (Maybe taking over the old Omar's or evening replacing the tattoo parlor).

Old 08-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
Yeah, it's a positive if they don't go downtown anymore. But they'll continue to go downtown. Only now they'll be in the other bars.
But will other bars be less willing to allow people not dressing to their code into their place of business? Just because they'll TRY to go to other bars, doesn't mean they will be ALLOWED into other bars. They are private, and can allow anyone to enter, as they see fit.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:44 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,554,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I've seen Sup Dogs packed or even overflowing on any given evening. You can't really re-create atmosphere, so it's almost too bad that it's part of a hideous building. That corner lot is worth quite a fortune, and I can't imagine an owner not wanting to capitalize on the current revitalization taking place. I also can't see hotel guests wanting a room next to a place that can generate a lot of outdoor noise. Maybe after the new parking deck is built, the parking lot behind the Pita Pit can be converted into an outdoor plaza in which Sup Dogs could have outdoor seating (without much of a different view that they already have), simply by moving across 5th St (Maybe taking over the old Omar's or evening replacing the tattoo parlor).
That corner is worth quite a bit. I would LOVE to see the stop down/Sup Dogs torn down, and a 2/3 story building be built with top level patio space. A building similar to the Carolina Ale house in Greenville would be ideal.

Sup Dogs or another restaurant could move into that space.

With the Phoenix being closed, that can open up a world of possibilities. the top portion of that building could be used as an extension of the rumored hotel that would go up behind it. Maybe a restaurant space or lounge area. Or lofts could be put there. Or someone could buy it that would want to turn it into a new live music venue.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,510 times
ECU's new dorm construction is really picking up. Amazing how fast they can build things these days.

There is a webcam as well to check in on the construction if you're interested: Construction Camera: Barnhill Contracting

Old 08-18-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
The airport is having a discussing to build a new hanger. There is a person who owns a $37million airplane, and the current facilities aren't adequate. The hanger will cost around $2million, but this airplane will generate almost $500k in taxes each year. It should be finished by the end of February. It will be built to house up to 3 large aircraft.

Is that like a Gulfstream type airplane?
The Reflector says it heard rumblings of it being owned by Rick Hendrick. Or someone who lives in NYC and travels to Miami. So they want to store it somewhere halfway between the two.

Cool thing it also mentioned is it pays the same amount of tax as around 250 average Greenville homes. Except it wont need any of the normal governmental services (school, police, roads etc).

Old 08-18-2014, 05:49 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,600,194 times
I really can't see it being Rick Hendrick, I would assume him and the team store everything in Concord, which would be similar to Greenville.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:28 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,767,363 times
New rail line to bring business to Pitt Co. - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina