Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 03:34 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I don't ever see the US post office willing to lift a finger to that decrepit building. Probably a better chance of relocation than them ever fixing that place up.
They're plenty willing. They just simply don't have the money.

Postal Service Faces $100B in Debts and Unfunded Benefits | CNS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 12:22 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,791 times
From Pitt County Commissioner Glen Webb on having a centralized Pitt County office complex downtown:

"We need about 22 million dollars for a county office complex that would house the entire county government in one place and free up space for other development as well as easing issues at the courthouse. Problem is, where does that 22 million come from, hence the need for partnership. The city is doing a great job, but though we look similar, city and county governments are very different. I think in the next several years you'll see more partnership and improvement with the leaders that are in place."

How much could the county get for selling their current main office - the old hospital - back to Vidant or another medical or hospitality group? $3-5 Million?

Old 01-10-2015, 06:41 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,791 times
The second phase of the pocket park "Live United" (just west of 4th & Evans) has been approved by the Redevelopment Commission, with City Council approval likely next week.

Plans for new park approved in uptown Greenville - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Old 01-11-2015, 03:45 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
From Pitt County Commissioner Glen Webb on having a centralized Pitt County office complex downtown:

"We need about 22 million dollars for a county office complex that would house the entire county government in one place and free up space for other development as well as easing issues at the courthouse. Problem is, where does that 22 million come from, hence the need for partnership. The city is doing a great job, but though we look similar, city and county governments are very different. I think in the next several years you'll see more partnership and improvement with the leaders that are in place."

How much could the county get for selling their current main office - the old hospital - back to Vidant or another medical or hospitality group? $3-5 Million?
I wonder what the office space needs of the City of Greenville will be in the next 5-10 years? I wonder if they could combine funding sources? Or maybe a public-private partnership?

Old 01-11-2015, 08:15 PM

144 posts, read 189,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I wonder what the office space needs of the City of Greenville will be in the next 5-10 years? I wonder if they could combine funding sources? Or maybe a public-private partnership?
Why not let Ward/Taft build a "truly" mixed use development on First Street with enough office space that could be "leased" to Pitt County? Along the lines of a smaller scaled version of this.

Greenville could cultivate office space downtown, the way Durham did with American Tobacco. A downtown mixed use development should also have upscale retail, a variety of restaurants, office, and residential. First Street seems the best place to get that going downtown. And the residential should be more for more permanent residents than students.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:19 AM

275 posts, read 330,673 times
I've always wonder, why doesn't Greenville put more effort in redeveloping the north side of the river? I thing it has some good potential if they can get some developers out there.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
Why not let Ward/Taft build a "truly" mixed use development on First Street with enough office space that could be "leased" to Pitt County? Along the lines of a smaller scaled version of this.

Greenville could cultivate office space downtown, the way Durham did with American Tobacco. A downtown mixed use development should also have upscale retail, a variety of restaurants, office, and residential. First Street seems the best place to get that going downtown. And the residential should be more for more permanent residents than students.
That's what I was thinking. They would probably need the block east of that parcel, which is mostly owned by Pitt County. It would be great if they could get the USPS on board too and redevelop all 3 blocks.

But I think it will be a GRAVE mistake if the Pitt County Government offices move away from downtown. I understand government offices don't pay taxes, but they bring 1000s of people to uptown daily, which will spark more retail/restaurant etc growth.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:14 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
I've always wonder, why doesn't Greenville put more effort in redeveloping the north side of the river? I thing it has some good potential if they can get some developers out there.
It floods too easily. The founders knew what they were doing when they built Greenville on the south side of the Tar.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:42 AM

275 posts, read 330,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
It floods too easily. The founders knew what they were doing when they built Greenville on the south side of the Tar.
Figures as much. Is there anyway to fix that problem?

Old 01-12-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
Figures as much. Is there anyway to fix that problem?
Wouldn't be worth the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina