Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 AM

228 posts, read 601,289 times

Advertisements

I went to Finelli's back when they were only in the fifth/10th street location and did not enjoy the experience. The service was horrible and rude, the food was mediocre to yuck...and eating right next to a State Police station was just not the romantic vibe I was going for.

I am not a food snob per se. I am just looking for something different. Different experiences that maybe don't involve food...or food I could get in any major city in the US. Want to excite me? Entice a real chef from Philly to come here and open a real Cheese Steak Restaurant. Entice a family from Brooklyn or Chicago to open up a real Pizzeria. Bring back the Jamaican lady who used to have that wonderful place downtown!

That kind of food would excite me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 02:46 PM

22 posts, read 45,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
Bring back the Jamaican lady who used to have that wonderful place downtown!

That kind of food would excite me...
I have heard that there is a Jamaican place across the river, in that flea market type place (from downtown go across the bridge and it's a large building on your right). I have never even been in there, but heard that Jamaican place is good and authentic.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:38 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
RN I agree with you completely about Finelli's. We are both Italian decent & I have self-published an Italian cookbook, the common joke in our neighborhood is the only real Italian restaurant in the area is "my house". I remember going by when they were on 10th St. also, & at that time their Ravioli was $10.95 My husband & I just laughed. We personally have not been there, because I cook much better quality food & mine is drastically less expensive. We have heard that the staff are not happy, therefore making it a terrible dining experience and that if someone complains to the owner, he is rude and tells you to leave, and is overpriced for cafeteria style, imitation Italian food.
We do like Mirabella for Pizza. We just go to The Fresh Market for excellent meat, fish, produce & Imported Italian tomatoes and cook inexpensively at home and throughly enjoy it and the Chef isn't rude or miserable, and the food is delicious

Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 AM

228 posts, read 601,289 times
Thank you, Kelsie! Warm greetings to you and your family on this gorgeous Carolina day! When should I be over for dinner? :-)

Old 04-07-2011, 11:38 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
Thank you RN. It certainly is a delightful day, I hope that you are enjoying the sunshine today. I am the typical Italian mom, there is always room for one more at the table, and if you leave our home hungry, it is your own fault. I made my "gravy, meatballs and sausage" (the excellent meat from The Fresh Market, of course) over the weekend so it is in the freezer for expected/unexpected guests. True story, a couple of yrs. ago, the Manager of an Italian chain rest. in Greenville, who is a friend of ours asked why we didn't come in for dinner. My husband explained the reason being we are Italian and I cook. The Manager asked if I made eggplant parm (which I hate) & my dh said that I made it the way his grandmother from Sicily did. I made it and brought some to our friend who was in the middle of the rest. on a busy Sat. afternoon. I was told that it was the best that the Manager & staff ever ate.
Let me know when you are coming, I'll grab another chair and Vino!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:42 PM

38 posts, read 96,496 times
finelli's did suck for us to.and being italian spegetti sauce is the only thing I'll snob.my mom makes it for like 10 hrs or so.so goodI always eat alfredo because i am spoiled to the real thing.lol

Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Well back to the OT....

Another reason why The Province is awesome. They are paying for (some) new sidewalks in the 10th St/Anderson/Charles St/11th St area. They are also paying for a new traffic island on 10th St. I thought it wasn't going to begin until the summer. But if you travel there now, something is occurring. Hopefully trees will be planted, like on Charles Blvd.

EDIT: So they're wanting/paying for sidewalks from 10th to 11th on Anderson and Charles St, and on 11th from Lawrence to Charles. And they want to landscape the traffic island, but I guess the city will pay for the actual traffic island. So that answers my trees question. And it is supposed to occur in the summer, but who knows.

Last edited by MrBojangles; 04-11-2011 at 08:37 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Evans and Arlington intersection is getting resurfaced!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 PM

There is a new mural (to me) on White's Theater. Any signs of redevelopment is a good thing.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:42 PM

232 posts, read 475,210 times
Saw that the new Jimmy Johns is being put in downtown. It is at the corner where the bicycle post was. They already have the sign up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina