Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
there's 13 subways in pitt county? I never realized that, I thought it was like 5 or 6.
Some are located inside of gas stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 03:05 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Some are located inside of gas stations.
Yes. I think there's one in the BP station at Firetower and Charles/43. There's also a new "stand alone" Subway in the Food Lion shopping center in Ayden.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
So in the past week I walked the new section of the greenway. It isn't "officially" opened, but people are using it. The boardwalk is completely done. There are some areas they are still working on (i.e. not level ground). But I would say it is majority done, minus the pavement. I recorded the length to be 2.44miles. This is from Greensprings Park to Dockside. It took me right under an hour to do it, but I was moving for 40minutes of it. Very easy, fairly flat.

The Beech Street "cut through" is around 3/10s of a mile, from the end of the road to the river. And it is fairly flat.

Then there is like a "second trail" that runs fairly parallel to the river. I believe it is an underground utility line. This was the "toughest" route. I am not sure if it is or will be an official route. But it is definitely a desire trail. This route was right under 8/10s of a mile.

Currently it is disgusting how much trash is back there. I hope/assume it will get clean before it officially opens though. You can tell a lot of people went back there to camp/fish/etc in the recent past.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 AM

39 posts, read 71,431 times
Some of that trash you mention may also be from the old trash dump itself. You mentioned the trail that follows the utility line; if you continue to follow it to the east there is a small gully and then a large hill. That hill is a mound of trash. The new greenway extension skirts around the north side of the dump between the dump and the river.

I've constantly wondered what they (the city) propose to do with the land atop the landfill especially considering they are now directing pedestrian traffic that direction. It is fully accessible with at least three major "trails" running through it. One of them continues on toward the sewage plant adjacent the dump, greenway, and cemetary. Another trail follows the same general direction along the river that the greenway does and eventually meets up with the greenway before turning back into the landfill property and turning into essentially a third trail that winds its way back through the woods and up to the road leading to the sewage facility behind the cemetary.

At certain points on this third trail you can venture off into the "woods" (which look odd considering the ground cover underneath is mere moss and vine and not normal forest undergrowth) and actually see old bottles, cans, telephones, shoes, anything inorganic that hasn't decomposed. Previously there were even a few old cars scattered about in the trees including an old VW Beetle with the ragtop sunroof. Those had been pulled out when I was there last.

I'd imagine the city would want to assess the landscape though as these areas could be potentially hazardous. In any case it is interesting that many had forgotten or had never known the dump was back there.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:22 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
If I'm not mistaken, Wintervilles tallest biilding is under construction (funny thing to say lol) at Pitt Community College. I believe it's 3 stories, the highest in winterville is 2-levels if I'm not mistaken.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quite Interesting:
"A new student center, parking decks, a new biosciences building, a visitors center and increased pedestrian pathways are all part of a plan for the future of East Carolina University."

The Daily Reflector

Old 03-23-2011, 04:27 PM

71 posts, read 291,169 times
Here's a bunch of great pictures on ECU's masterplan, this thing is HUGE!
Sorry you'll have to sort through some other posts too, but its wort
BoneyardBanter.com - Banter Message Board Message (http://www.boneyardbanter.com/message_board/banter/2011/March/23/1045983.php - broken link)

Everything is under the picture, the guy who's screen name is "SteelBeard" took all the pics

Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Quite Interesting:
"A new student center, parking decks, a new biosciences building, a visitors center and increased pedestrian pathways are all part of a plan for the future of East Carolina University."

The Daily Reflector
They've had a couple of public meeting I've been to. www.ecu.edu/masterplan is the website. I think I've posted it here before. This plan is for the next 10-15 years. ECU does one every 10 years. I can expand more if anyone wants to know.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInNC View Post
Some of that trash you mention may also be from the old trash dump itself. You mentioned the trail that follows the utility line; if you continue to follow it to the east there is a small gully and then a large hill. That hill is a mound of trash. The new greenway extension skirts around the north side of the dump between the dump and the river.

I've constantly wondered what they (the city) propose to do with the land atop the landfill especially considering they are now directing pedestrian traffic that direction. It is fully accessible with at least three major "trails" running through it. One of them continues on toward the sewage plant adjacent the dump, greenway, and cemetary. Another trail follows the same general direction along the river that the greenway does and eventually meets up with the greenway before turning back into the landfill property and turning into essentially a third trail that winds its way back through the woods and up to the road leading to the sewage facility behind the cemetary.

At certain points on this third trail you can venture off into the "woods" (which look odd considering the ground cover underneath is mere moss and vine and not normal forest undergrowth) and actually see old bottles, cans, telephones, shoes, anything inorganic that hasn't decomposed. Previously there were even a few old cars scattered about in the trees including an old VW Beetle with the ragtop sunroof. Those had been pulled out when I was there last.

I'd imagine the city would want to assess the landscape though as these areas could be potentially hazardous. In any case it is interesting that many had forgotten or had never known the dump was back there.
I know the old landfill is located there. But the trash I see is (all?) recent. Newer beer cans, recent newspapers etc. You can tell people used to walk back there, camp out (camp fire), get drunk and fish or whatever. But to open this up to the "public", it needs to be cleaned.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 PM

TEC article on the Five Points development
" + artTitle.replace("-","") + " - " + "The East Carolinian" + " - " + "News" + " (http://www.theeastcarolinian.com/news/uptown-plaza-renovation-underway-1.2122144 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina