Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 05:46 PM

220 posts, read 321,913 times

Advertisements

Here is the full article for the convention center hotel with more renderings and floor plans:

Convention hotel design has the potential to contribute to Cleveland skyline, but still needs refinement | cleveland.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 05:47 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Petition against the "Opportunity" Corridor (with a name like that, you know it has to be BS, in my opinion), if anyone is interested.

http://www.change.org/petitions/ne-o...-gets-it-wrong

Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 PM

3,414 posts, read 5,126,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It's designing a city for people that don't live there (suburban dwelling commuters/occasional urban tourists). Cleveland needs to be walkable, public transit friendly, and that sum of money could be much better used on something else that will actually benefit the people that live in those poor areas. Yes, there are lots of abandonded homes, but that doesn't mean they are actually abandonded neighborhoods. I don't understand what the people for the corridor think will happen... we build a mini, slightly lower speed highway to appease the 50+, car-addicted crowd and somehow, by speeding up their journey from the highway to the places at University Circle that will......... make them want to explore the ghetto and set up businesses there? Convince me I'm mistaken. I'd love to agree with this project since it looks like it's gonna go through but it just seems like wishful thinking and unwise spending.
I agree. Why not invest that money in the neighborhoods surrounding the Clinic to make it a place where doctors and nurses will want to live, rather than easing their commute from the suburbs. As it stands, the Clinic and UC in general are fortresses in a sea of crime and abandonment. I don't understand why the city doesn't work with the institutions to improve the neighborhoods that surround them. Everyone would benefit. $331 million can do a lot of good.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:50 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,284,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedRustbelt View Post
Here is the full article for the convention center hotel with more renderings and floor plans:

Convention hotel design has the potential to contribute to Cleveland skyline, but still needs refinement | cleveland.com
4-story podium + 26-story tower = 30-story new hotel. I'll take it. Design is different and interesting.

I'm bummed about the lack of rooftop bar/restaurant...especially as it was in the discussion very early on.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:12 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,044 times
I like the design of the hotel. its a nice change from all the grey and stone buildings Cleveland has.. second, yes it would be nice to see money spent on the devastated neighborhoods where the proposed corridor is planned. HOWEVER, the corridor would do that much faster then fixing these areas block by block.. just too many square miles of devastation (think Detroit). lets be honest, its taken decades just to fix a few blocks around ohio city.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
I like the design of the hotel. its a nice change from all the grey and stone buildings Cleveland has.. second, yes it would be nice to see money spent on the devastated neighborhoods where the proposed corridor is planned. HOWEVER, the corridor would do that much faster then fixing these areas block by block.. just too many square miles of devastation (think Detroit). lets be honest, its taken decades just to fix a few blocks around ohio city.
How exactly will building a new road from the freeway to University Circle help revive these neighborhoods?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:54 AM

imo business love locations along new freeway exits or along new streets/corridors.. same goes for business to want to be near new public transit(health line,etc). do you really think the eastside can be rebuilt block by block? how long will that take ? 50 yrs? those areas are so bad and crime ridden , who wants to spend their money on the hope it will somehow change.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
imo business love locations along new freeway exits or along new streets/corridors.. same goes for business to want to be near new public transit(health line,etc). do you really think the eastside can be rebuilt block by block? how long will that take ? 50 yrs? those areas are so bad and crime ridden , who wants to spend their money on the hope it will somehow change.
New York has done it with some of its bad neighborhoods, without building expensive new roads. Seriously, I could think of about 10 projects that would instantly help make their neighborhoods a much better place for a fraction of the cost of this road. Not to mention, adding much needed police, upgrading police cars (most are not even equipped with computers), etc. should take precedence over building this commuter centric road. Imagine if that money was invested in Larchmere, Buckeye, North Collinwood; places that have the potential, but not the resources. Those places could instantly become attractive places for people to live, locate businesses, and spend money, benefitting the city much more than a road connecting UC to the southwest suburbs.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 AM

how long has it taken for a handful of blocks of ohio city to get new life? most of ohio city is still crime ridden, yes? and you suggest the eastside neighborhoods would be fixed sooner, even though they are in far worse shape? look at the few new houses they built along quincy ave/E.60th., prostitutes are on the sidewalks at 630am with school children waiting at bus stops. sorry but I don't agree with you.. we have spent millions on new schools and programs to fix the Cleveland school system with no real results.. until the parents get involved with their kids and their schools, the csd will never improve.. same goes for these neighborhoods. a bulldozer is a better idea.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM

814 posts, read 1,150,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It's designing a city for people that don't live there (suburban dwelling commuters/occasional urban tourists). Cleveland needs to be walkable, public transit friendly,
we build a mini, slightly lower speed highway
I agree 100% that walkability and transit are paramount, but any major city can't just completely ignore its driving infrastructure. This doesn't appear to me to be just pouring concrete all over yourselves just for the sake of it, this is a pretty painfully obvious gap in the region's O/D network.

Furthermore, are you overstating what the built environment of this thing is actually going to be a bit? I would hope that it's going to be more like a 35-mph, landscaped boulevard, which is what the plans seem to imply. Hardly the Lower-Manhattan Expressway.

Though speaking of the plans (I'm using this, for reference), I definitely would agree that some things could be done better. For one thing, I would definitely question the need for it to be five-plus lanes the entire way, and part of me would want to insist on a protected cyclotrack or something, though I have no idea who, if anyone, would even have the need or desire to bike this route.

Quote:
and that sum of money could be much better used on something else that will actually benefit the people that live in those poor areas.
At the end of the day, I can't argue with that notion (although I probably am not quite as pessimistic as you are regarding the potential of further development along this corridor). I guess, though, I wasn't ever looking at this project as a panacea for all these blighted neighborhoods, but rather just a fairly obvious and relatively simple (albeit not cheap) solution that would have a positive effect on the transportation network for the whole region. Whether it's worth the outlay is another question, and I'm certainly not in a position to make a claim one way or the other. I really just wanted to get the whole story from the locals.

Last edited by that412; 11-13-2013 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland