Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 08:12 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
and it hasn't stopped cincy or Columbus from growing either and both are hub-less...
And this happened to Cincy 3 years ago...
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...lf-all-flights

And US Airways did it in Pittsburgh. It isn't a failure of the city. Or the politicians. Or the business community. or the citizens.
It is all a direct result of airline mergers. In every city that has happened to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Right, he's the mayor of Cleveland, he's not God, he can't control what private companies choose to do. This choice was a business decision based on profitability, like nearly every other business decision. There was nothing political about it, and nothing "personal" about it with regards to Cleveland. There was nothing the mayor could have done to change the profitability of the airport, just like there's nothing a mayor can do to prevent jobs from going overseas because of lower wages. What a mayor can do is position a city to be attractive to businesses, and residents by maintaining sound finances, good city services, quality schools, and navigable city permits and laws. Jackson has done and/or is working on improving all of those things.
Positioning a city to be attractive to business includes a thriving airport, especially in the global economy. Maybe gaining some traction on Toledo with China would be a good start. Hopefully voters will get rid of Marcia Fudge come reelection time. If Jackson was truly reversing Cleveland's decline there would be job and population growth and consequently a growing population base to maintain a hub. NE Ohio pols cannot go to United and try to sell it on a growing population and business base.

It's called competing and Cleveland needs to really compete and shake-off its ''mediocre is OK'' attitude and put an end to its thinking that its still a major top tier player.

As you point out, rightly, it's not political or personal, it's just that Cleveland cannot compete.

Last edited by Kamms; 02-03-2014 at 10:52 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 12:07 PM

Made in Cleveland again: Manufacturing makes a comeback in Northeast Ohio | cleveland.com

A little mroe good news re: jobs. Posted in the "dehubbing thread" first.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Made in Cleveland again: Manufacturing makes a comeback in Northeast Ohio | cleveland.com

This is, of course, good news, as it always is when any industry is creating jobs. The problem is that, with NEO being such a huge manufacturing area, these numbers should have been better and,as the article states, it appears that 2013 was flat. I read a listing last week of metro areas leading in manufacturing growth and believe CLE ranked somewhere in the mid-to-late 40s rank out of 50 or metro areas. It wasn't an impressive ranking and considering that Columbus is not considered a manufacturing area, it ranked 18, this is not good.

The 2010-2012 numbers carried Cleveland as a growth area; remember when Cleveland was showing up on top 10 places for jobs etc.? Now I'm seeing Cleveland on

Old 02-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:

January 2014 manufacturing sector had biggest orders plunge in 33 years.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:13 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong but after reading this article it seems all the data on mfg jobs is during the timeframe of 2010-2012 and the article is not current. I'm seeing manufacturing flat at best in most areas, automotive has been one of the strong areas for a couple years but you wonder how long it can stay at that pace..

Old 02-03-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but after reading this article it seems all the data on mfg jobs is during the timeframe of 2010-2012 and the article is not current. I'm seeing manufacturing flat at best in most areas, automotive has been one of the strong areas for a couple years but you wonder how long it can stay at that pace..
You're right; it's data from 2010-2012 with 2013 being flat and, as I also posted, January 2014 saw the biggest drop in manufacturing orders since 1981.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
You're right; it's data from 2010-2012 with 2013 being flat and, as I also posted, January 2014 saw the biggest drop in manufacturing orders since 1981.
Source? (Not trying to call you out, genuinely interested)

Old 02-04-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Source? (Not trying to call you out, genuinely interested)
Not sure which data you would like source on but for the January 2014 information, Reuters, for starters. BTW, the dismal January 2014 data is the national totals, not Cleveland's. The article re manufacturing data in NEO is based on 2010-2012 data and the numbers are considered flat in 2013 and, well, 2014 is not looking good nationally.

However, I think the extreme winter weather in January skewed some of the orders lower.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 AM

236 posts, read 462,369 times
Default Positively Cleveland's Update!!!

Here's an outstanding article on Cleveland's latest and fabulous updates. They're saying, by 2016, Cleveland will go through a drastic change, in terms of entertainment and appeal. We don't have long! It's already 2014...

Positively Cleveland offers tour to showcase Cleveland hotels, convention center and more - Story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland