Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:40 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I understand that the name Philly alone causes DC people to exhibit uncontrollable jealous hate, but damn let it go.
LOL.

When is this thread going to get closed?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Koolaide,

Why would DC people be jealous of Philly. All jokes aside. Most of you people on this board really don't know DC. I give Philly credit, the city does have more culture across the board because DC really doesn't have any white culture but Philly's black culture cannot touch DC's. Before there was a Harlem Rennaisance, there was U Street, which was Black Broadway. ELITE African Americans with money would frequent clubs and bars. Top entertainers would perform there before the Cotton Club. Philly has no answer for Howard University. How can you hate on the city that brought you Marvin Gaye, Martin Lawrence, Dave Chapelle, Sugar Ray Leonard, them list goes on and on.

You bamas showing pictures of Philly mafia dudes. The Philly mafia family answers to NYC. Nobody in Philly ever did it bigger than Rayful Edmonds. Nobody!

That bama Cassidy has a typical Philly accent. I can recognize a few words they tend to drag out. It's a mix of Baltimore and Jersey.
First of all the bol rayful edmunds is a snitch, second its entirely irrelevant if he did it bigger than anybody, 3rd of all how can DC's contemporarly black culture be better when Philly has more successful and popular black music artists, athletes, actors etc. No ones hating on DC, in fact YOU started all of this dumb s**t yesterday when I said that DC is technically in the south but that's not a bad thing and its still a cool city. Second of all I find it funny and ironic that delusional people from DC (like you) call people from NYC, Philly, NJ, Boston etc "bamas" when people from DC share wayyyyy more similarities with people from Alabama (culturally, accent, actually located in the south lol etc).

Old 01-14-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Not to defend DC's admittedly atrocious public school system, but it's more than a bit unfair to compare it to states. DC is a city. It happens to be an independent city devoid of a mother state, but it's a city nonetheless. And the vast majority of large city public school districts are doing poorly. It's not an apt comparison to compare DC's school system, which pulls from a largely homogenous demographic, with that of states that pull from a tremendously diverse population.

It's also worth pointing out that, as opposed to DCPS, the DC suburbs contains some of the best-performing public school districts in the nation.
Actually, it's not worth pointing out. Good schools are almost always located in the suburbs. The true mark of a city, I think, is how much access underprivileged children have to a quality education. There aren't that many underprivileged children in Montgomery and Fairfax County. There are thousands in DC, though.

If I decided to stay in the District, there are only three (maybe four) high schools I'd consider sending my kids to: Benjamin Banneker (a tiny school which you must test into, and is about 99% black, which I don't like), Woodrow Wilson (which has weird zoning, and the black kids there are severely underperforming), School Without Walls and Duke Ellington. And none of these schools have the diversity of Philly's best schools. Central, for example, is 31% Black, 27% Asian, 29% White, and 12% Hispanic. Can you find one school in the entire DC region that has comparable demographics?

Philly's specialty schools are a lot better than DC's too with Masterman, CAPA (School for the Creative and Performing Arts), Bodine (School for Int'l Affairs), Carver (School for Engineering), GAMP (Girard Arts and Music Program), Arts Academy at Benjamin Rush, Northeast Medical, Engineering & Aerospace, Northwest School for Peace and Conflict Resolution, the Science and Leadership Academy, High School of the Future, and the Philadelphia High School for Girls.

And Philly also has a number of good parochial schools that are much much cheaper than any private school in the DC area.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:40 AM

There's no school in the DC region as dynamic as Central.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILmzZc9WRSw

Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Nephi,

Culturally speaking, the Philly AA crowd is year's behind DC, hence the fact that they have to come to DC to find clubs that suit their lifestyle. I already peeped you to the whole "Black Broadway" thing. DC has always been and still is a mecca for AA's. Bajan even admitted that DC's AA culture dominates the city.

Secondly, Rayful is a snitch but you and some of your fans posted some mafia stuff about a guy that answers to the NYC crime families. WTF?

The bama is stuff is just DC's superiority complex. A lot of AA's in DC are arrogant and they look at loud mouth out of towners as bamas. That's just DC's view.

Just like you have an opinion about Go-Go music, I can show you videos of Philly's finest (Jill Scott and the Roots) partying like sh&t with Go-Go bands. Plus Jill Scott used a Go-Go beat in one of her MOST POPULAR songs but you want to go on DC. DC and Alabama similarities? OK, so PA must be West Virginia lite.

And BTW: I can show you a looooooong list of successful AA musicians, athletes and actors from DC. Throw Will Smith out there!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Culturally speaking, the Philly AA crowd is year's behind DC, hence the fact that they have to come to DC to find clubs that suit their lifestyle. I already peeped you to the whole "Black Broadway" thing. DC has always been and still is a mecca for AA's. Bajan even admitted that DC's AA culture dominates the city.
And I don't necessarily consider this to be a positive thing. I like a good mixture of people and cultures.

And people only came to DC when Dream was open.

Quote:
Plus Jill Scott used a Go-Go beat in one of her MOST POPULAR songs but you want to go on DC.
It took a Philly girl to make it hot. That's like Philly making deep dish pizza popular. I wonder why people from DC can't get people outside of DC to listen to Go-Go?

Quote:
And BTW: I can show you a looooooong list of successful AA musicians, athletes and actors from DC. Throw Will Smith out there!
Go for it.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:32 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
when people from DC share wayyyyy more similarities with people from Alabama (culturally, accent, actually located in the south lol etc).
This I disagree with. You probably should have said North Carolina if you wanted to use a Southern state. But DC blacks sound nothing like Alabama nor are they alike culturally. I've been to Alabama many times and even they would disagree with you on that end.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:05 AM

46 posts, read 79,330 times
It,s pretty unfair to try to limit D.C.'s population to city limits only. D.C. has had the same city limits since 1790 with no annexation, only retrocession giving Alexandria and Arlington County back to Virginia. So when talking about D.C. you must at lease include everything inside the beltway. Philadelphia has a strong black history for a northern city, most likely the strongest. Philadelphia benefitted from being the first large city north of the Mason Dixon line and had many blacks from Maryland and Virginia migrate there in the late 19th century. But Philadelphia's black population was still small compared to D.C.'s and Baltimore's. Philadelphia will never have the historical elite black families that D.C. has. And because D.C. is a smaller city we haven't produced as many entertainers as Philadelphia but the one's that we did produce had a greater impact in their genre. Duke Ellington cannot be matched by anything Philly has to offer in jazz. Marvin Gaye is arguably the greatest RnB/soul singer. I know Philly has produced more but how many have the prestige of a Marvin Gaye. Roberta Flack is considered one of the greatest singer/songwriters who crossed the black white music barrier. In basketball philly is known for basketball but D.C. is right there with them. We have at least three of to top fifty greatest with Dave Bing, Elgin Baylor and David Robinson. I know the Philly area will have another greatest with Kobe but Durant will also be there. As far as The white population of each city Philly out does D.C. but D.C. is not to be under estimated. D.C. probably has produced more national network television anchors per capita than any other city except New York. Connie Chung, Catie Curic, Charlie Gibson and of course Willard Scott, the original Ronald McDonald are all from the D.C. area.
Just because D.C. doesn't have ethnic Irish and Italian doesn't mean it's not the Northeast. If that were the case that would mean Baltimore is the Northeast which would make D.C. the Northeast by default. Coming on this forum is the first time in my thirty seven years have I ever heard D.C. called a Northeast city. East coast, Mid Atlantic, Chesapeake even upper south but never Northeast. Maybe it,s a generational thing but growing up in uptown D.C. we always did the opposite of what New Yorkers did. Everybody on the east coast usually dressed the same but sometimes New Yorkers would bama out with loud colors and gold fronts, but maybe that was the West Indian coming out of them because it was mainly a brooklyn thing. Harlem people more resembled uptown D.C. people to me than any other place in the Northeast and respect was mutual. One thing about New York is that they will jack your local style and make it famous. When all the youngin's in D.C. were wearing jail wave caps as a new style my New York friends would joke about it. A couple of summers later durags were the thing up New York. When the Chevy Tahoe first came out I drove up to visit friends and the first thing they did was joke about my truck talking about it's country. The next summer SUV's all the rage up New York. When D.C. take a style we give the creator of the style their proper due. Philly was the first to create the cameo haircut in the early 80's which D.C. took and rightfully named it the Philly. New Yorker's took it years later, named it the high top fade and made it famous. D.C. and Baltimore are eastcoast but the southern portion. Boston, Providence and Hartfort are eastcoast but New England. New York and Philadelphia are eastcoast in the center. Why would anyone post pictures of D.C. across the Anacostia to represent D.C. Thats like posting pictures of the most undeveloped part of Staten Island, Queens and Northeast Philly. Places like Deanwood developed before there was a bridge to get across the Anacostia as a free black communtiy. Although east of the Anacostia was the last place to develop most of the housing stock is still made up of brick semi-detached houses and apartment buildings. Check out ward 8 and congress heights. They average out a density of 10,000 people per square mile.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
nyanti,

Great post! People never recognize DC on any levels. I use to spend summers back in Brooklyn. I was rocking Gucci tennis shoes, Sergio Techini sweatsuits etc.. Only Uptown NYC cats was doing the same thing. DC has always been a fly city. Puffy use to take DC styles and go back to NYC with them. Salt and Pepa use to come to DC to get their hair done on Georgia Ave, Uptown. Their song "My Mic Sounds Nice" is a Go-Go song by EU. I saw them perform at the Black Hole with EU back in the day before they became famous.

In DC, when everybody was wearing Tims in NYC/Philly, we was wearing SupaTims. Baltimore and DC put Air Force Ones on the map in the 80's. I forgot all about "the Philly" haircut. But that goes to show that we paid homage to them and didn't try to take their style and rebrand it like NYC did. "High top fade" LLS.

As for basketball, yeah Philly has Kobe but he doesn't really claim Philly anymore. DC can go toe-to-toe with any city on a basketball level. We have had some of the greats in this area. Grant Hill, Ty Lawson, Dennis Scott, Sidney Lowe, Steve Francis, Walt Williams, Len Bias, Sherman Douglas, Lawrence Moten, Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Delonte West, Kevin Durant & Michael Beasley.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Actually, it's not worth pointing out. Good schools are almost always located in the suburbs.
Actually, it is worth pointing out, particularly when the suburbs don't contain simply *good* schools, but some of the best in the country.

There isn't some magical force field keeping underpriveleged families out of these locales. Montgomery County, for example, isn't exactly the bastion of wealth you're making it out to be. The southwestern portion certainly is, but by the time you get east of 270, or north of Rockville, that changes substantially. And yet the school district remains one of the highest-performing in the nation. Arlington and Alexandria are high performers as well. You're being disingenuous if you choose to ignore that when discussing the state of DC education. No one here, least of all I, am defending the quality of a DCPS education. But as the husband of a Montgomery County teacher and one who is intimately familiar with both the public and private schools in that county, I can tell you that plenty of options exist for underpriveleged children to receive a quality education there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City