Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
First of all...who is Pimp C??? There has never been a Pimp C from Philly--the only Pimp C I've ever heard of was from Texas. As far as Cool C, yeah he bit MC Shan's style. But Cool C was never considered a top MC in Philly. The only reason he got exposure outside of Philly was because he was down with Pop Art (Lawrence Goodman's label).

NY hip hop radio was traditionally reluctant to play any artists that weren't from the NY area. But the Goodman's forced NY radio to play all artists that were either on their label or who they managed (they were affiliated with Philly's Black Mafia). That's the only reason artists like Fresh Prince/Jazzy Jeff, Steady B, Cool C, and Three Times Dope got exposure outside of Philly and got radio play in the NY market. The majority of Philly hip hop artists weren't affiliated with the Goodmans, and thus, never got exposure outside of the Philly market. So unless you really know about Philly's local artists, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Second of all...there's WAAAAY more to music than "Hip Hop." How in the hell has NYC influenced Philly music (outside of hip hop)? NY was d**K riding the Philly Sound all through the 70s. What do you think New York's Disco was? Just a very watered down, commercialized, imitation of the up-tempo Philly Soul tunes. The owners of NY's Salsoul records actually created their disco label to imitate Philly's up-tempo style. The musicians/orchestra they recruited were all from Philly and veterans of Gamble & Huff's TSOP label. And all of Salsoul's music was still recorded down in Philly at Sigma Sound Studio although Salsoul and its owners were based in NY.

So in other words, New York was "just a watered down version of Philly."

Salsoul Records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lol

I made a silly mistake. I meant to say Steady B and Cool C, who Pimp C and Bun B got their names from.

You have a point though.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:14 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
Nomad443, I have to admit that you know your black history. Many people on this site don't know history and repeat things they hear. The reason I even got into the subject of black history was because someone on this site stated that Atlanta had D.C. beat in black history. Philadelphia was the major player in black America during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Philadelphia's black community lead the way with the AME church, black businesses and the colonization movement of free blacks back to Liberia. Boston and upstate New York also contributed a lot to black history during that time period but it wasn't as strong as Philadelphia's.
And about the New York and D.C. beef, it was just a product of the time I guess, the crack era. The real beef was when the Jamaican's came first. It was my first experience with someone I knew who was murdered. It probably was the Jamaican's who turned everyone on as far as gun play.
And to Bajan Yankee, you showing pictures of hobo gear is counter against your own case. The whole concept of urban gear like Fubu, Rockawear and others came from Phatfarm. And guess where Russell Simmons got the concept from---If you guessed D.C. your correct. I always knew that it was a D.C. innovation but I was shocked when I heard Russell Simmons on the radio giving credit to the Madness shop on Georgia ave. He basically stated that he got into contact with Ed and Ty, owners of the Madness shop and they helped him by creating Phatfarm in the image of Madness.

Hey I almost forgot about the whole Phatfarm thing thanx for bringing that up ...... and not to mention that Russell Simmons also tried to Cut the Junkyard Band (Which is a GoGo Band from DC for those of you that dont know) a record deal back in the early 90's, but they turned down his offer, after he told them that they were going to have to make some changes in the band in order for him to do it...

Old 01-17-2011, 02:20 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
In my mind, the Bos-Wash corridor is the Northeast. So yes.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 PM

336 posts, read 768,595 times
NE all day

Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
For the umpteenth time, NO.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:54 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
For the umpteenth time, NO.
For the umpteenth time, YES.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:28 PM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
It's influenced by the northeast, but authentic northeast? NO.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:43 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
It's influenced by the northeast, but authentic northeast? NO.
I would agree! DC has some of the northeast characteristics like rowhouses, good transit, urban core but it is different than Philly, Boston and NYC in a lot ways. The urban layout of DC in the DT area is also different with the 12 to 13 story buildings lining the streets. The neighborhoods are very similar. Georgetown and Capitol Hill look like it could fit nicely in Boston with its cobblestone streets. Certain parts of NE DC look like the far reaches of Queens with it's single family homes.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 PM

418 posts, read 809,700 times
DC is the Dirty South or the NEW South.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:55 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
DC is the Dirty South or the NEW South.
Right! DC looks just like Dallas and Houston. Thanks for your riveting remark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City