Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 04:43 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Um, most people were born here actually. You don't even live in DC. Stop trying to tell us "your version" of it since it means nothing.
Completely agree. It's somewhat offensive to tell a person of a certain place what their identity is. And as a native of Maryland it offends me too.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:09 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Completely agree. It's somewhat offensive to tell a person of a certain place what their identity is. And as a native of Maryland it offends me too.
Yea it's true that DC does have a lot of transplants, but there's still a lot more locals than transplants.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:02 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Yea it's true that DC does have a lot of transplants, but there's still a lot more locals than transplants.
Yep and hardly any of the locals I noticed in my five years there had a southern vibe or southern feel with them at all. At least compared to what I would get in Atlanta or Houston.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:37 PM

418 posts, read 809,881 times
Lol @ people that think there is an immediate change once u cross an imaginary line.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
I think somebody put it really well last time this brought up... It doesn't matter what people who live there opinions are. Most people in DC either just moved there or are second generation. They have little ties to the area.

What people think about it has little to do with the fact that DC is in the south. The is a clear provable fact.

Atlanta is the same way. A lot of people here will not tell you they are southern, because they aren't.

The only characteristics a city needs for being southern is a geographical definition and a historical one. DC has both.

I really do not understand what characteristics of being south that you refer to.
That is completely false, I am born and raised in the area and so are my family and the majority of my friends families who were brought up here. We never in our lives have associated ourselves with being a part of the South. I am referring to the generations of both blacks and whites that I know from here who would never take claim of being a southerner. Im just telling you in straight up real talk. To the majority of people in DC or MD we think of the South as VA and below we do not associate ourselves with being southern. And even VA is not the deep deep south, but definitely has a trace of it.

This is not Atlanta, that city is the capital of the South i don't care how many transplants move to or take over the city, Atlanta is completely southern. Which is not bad I love ATL its one of my favorite cities. History is just that (History) but DC is NOT geographically in the South it is in the middle and if you had to measure the miles from the tips of the E. Coast from FL to ME it would be in the North as well above the halfway point. From Washington DC to the Canadian border along I-95 in Maine is roughly 700 miles. Going the opposite direction to Miami FL is 1178 miles meaning geographically DC is closer to the northern border than the Southern most tip of the US. Those are facts, that wont change regardless of history or cultural shifts.

DC is 440 miles from Boston, 240 miles from NYC, and 120 miles from Philadelphia. While DC also is 640 miles from ATL, 1170 miles from Miami, and 750 miles from Birmingham. I could drive to New Brunswick Canada faster than to Alabama from DC.

I am stating this information because you said it is such a "provable fact" that DC is in the south, but the only proof you are using is based on history books and an imaginary line that was created in the 1800's. I think there are 2 separate questions to ask here..."Is DC geographically and theoretically a part of the south or north" and the other "Is DC culturally still connected to or does it show Southern traits" Those are 2 very different questions.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 PM

27,568 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
And some of the architecture. The White House is basically an antebellum Southern mansion.
To me, the most striking thing about DC's architecture is its European influence. Neo-classical, Greek revival, Romanesque, Gothic, Victorian, Norman, French Second Empire, Byzantine, ... It's all there.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:00 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That is completely false, I am born and raised in the area and so are my family and the majority of my friends families who were brought up here. We never in our lives have associated ourselves with being a part of the South. I am referring to the generations of both blacks and whites that I know from here who would never take claim of being a southerner. Im just telling you in straight up real talk. To the majority of people in DC or MD we think of the South as VA and below we do not associate ourselves with being southern. And even VA is not the deep deep south, but definitely has a trace of it.

This is not Atlanta, that city is the capital of the South i don't care how many transplants move to or take over the city, Atlanta is completely southern. Which is not bad I love ATL its one of my favorite cities. History is just that (History) but DC is NOT geographically in the South it is in the middle and if you had to measure the miles from the tips of the E. Coast from FL to ME it would be in the North as well above the halfway point. From Washington DC to the Canadian border along I-95 in Maine is roughly 700 miles. Going the opposite direction to Miami FL is 1178 miles meaning geographically DC is closer to the northern border than the Southern most tip of the US. Those are facts, that wont change regardless of history or cultural shifts.

DC is 440 miles from Boston, 240 miles from NYC, and 120 miles from Philadelphia. While DC also is 640 miles from ATL, 1170 miles from Miami, and 750 miles from Birmingham. I could drive to New Brunswick Canada faster than to Alabama from DC.

I am stating this information because you said it is such a "provable fact" that DC is in the south, but the only proof you are using is based on history books and an imaginary line that was created in the 1800's. I think there are 2 separate questions to ask here..."Is DC geographically and theoretically a part of the south or north" and the other "Is DC culturally still connected to or does it show Southern traits" Those are 2 very different questions.
Excellent post!

Old 06-13-2011, 05:30 AM

725 posts, read 1,511,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Aight I'm back...,

Look I read ur post and I respect your personal stories and do not get offended you are entitled to your opinion. I understand that you may not feel that you are in the south, or that you may not think you are in the south, but, buddy, if you are in DC you are in the south!

Yes its true...
and can be proven and I did prove it by tracing the founding of DC to its origins in the south through some laws and by siting the primary source in this country (the federal gov't) as saying that it's in the south as recently as the last census. You, however have not proven that DC is in the north other than opinions and feelings.

Look, don't get me wrong opinions are important, however, a lot of people still think money is made out of paper and that is perfectly fine for them. So if you want to think that DC is not in the south. If that makes you and your family happy then fine. But money is made of cotton and DC was founded in the south! And according to the national census that's how it remains. No one is challenging this...

Furthermore, by your lofty definion North Carolinia is in the north since technically it is about halfway between Miami and Maine (florida is a long state).

As far as culture, yes, DC has does has some southern culture, as well as asian culture, indian culture, muslim culture, etc. DC is a major city, so it is diverse and multicultural. However so is Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, and Houston. These southern cities are among the most multicultural metro's in the country. I doubt that any of these cities are dominated by southern culture, so your point is moot.

Now on these "imaginary lines"... guys stop being silly. The whole world is built on "imaginary lines" they are called borders and boundaries. We use them to define things such as countries, states, and regions. So now you are saying that borders aren't important, because according to the borders DC is irrefutably in the south?!?... You do know that if you take the wrong step into some borders you could get put in jail for years?

A have to laugh at one point... Virginia having a "trace of the south'. Virginia is the Moses, epitome, and alpha of the south. Without Virginia there is no south. A large part of metro DC is in Virginia.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 AM

725 posts, read 1,511,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Sorry buddy sometimes the truth hurts...

However you shouldn't take it personally. Regardless of where I am from we have rights. You have a right to your opinions and I have a right to my facts.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:12 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Aight I'm back...,

Look I read ur post and I respect your personal stories and do not get offended you are entitled to your opinion. I understand that you may not feel that you are in the south, or that you may not think you are in the south, but, buddy, if you are in DC you are in the south!

Yes its true...
and can be proven and I did prove it by tracing the founding of DC to its origins in the south through some laws and by siting the primary source in this country (the federal gov't) as saying that it's in the south as recently as the last census. You, however have not proven that DC is in the north other than opinions and feelings.

Look, don't get me wrong opinions are important, however, a lot of people still think money is made out of paper and that is perfectly fine for them. So if you want to think that DC is not in the south. If that makes you and your family happy then fine. But money is made of cotton and DC was founded in the south! And according to the national census that's how it remains. No one is challenging this...

Furthermore, by your lofty definion North Carolinia is in the north since technically it is about halfway between Miami and Maine (florida is a long state).

As far as culture, yes, DC has does has some southern culture, as well as asian culture, indian culture, muslim culture, etc. DC is a major city, so it is diverse and multicultural. However so is Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, and Houston. These southern cities are among the most multicultural metro's in the country. I doubt that any of these cities are dominated by southern culture, so your point is moot.

Now on these "imaginary lines"... guys stop being silly. The whole world is built on "imaginary lines" they are called borders and boundaries. We use them to define things such as countries, states, and regions. So now you are saying that borders aren't important, because according to the borders DC is irrefutably in the south?!?... You do know that if you take the wrong step into some borders you could get put in jail for years?

A have to laugh at one point... Virginia having a "trace of the south'. Virginia is the Moses, epitome, and alpha of the south. Without Virginia there is no south. A large part of metro DC is in Virginia.
Your post makes little to no sense. The Census is one government agency. I can show you links from at least three other government agencies that link DC to the northeast corridor. DC is more intertwined with the northeast in architecture, rowhomes, transportation, central core, density, diversity, employment, education, cultural amenities, etc.. I can go on and on. DC has never embraced the south like the ATL, Houston and Dallas. DC is the most liberal city on the east coast. Gays can legally marry in DC. This will never happen in your skewed vision of the south. DC also was a part of the great migration. Blacks from VA and NC moved up to DC for jobs and a better life. BTW, the southern most tip of NJ is south of Baltimore and lateral to DC. Is NJ southern too? So much for make believe lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City