Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:18 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,726,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
You didn't say "some" DC ppl sound Generic... you said alot of them do!!! this was what you said ---> "I've known "alot" of DC people, and I didn't know where they we're from until they told me. Because they sounded generic".

these are some kids battle rapping after school and the one on the Left is fron DC, but the lightskin one on the right is from Philly and he sound like he could be from the Midwest LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlsCCK42HAk

does the one on the left sound Southern to you???
If after school raps is what represents the DC accent, I feel bad for the place.

Last edited by killakoolaide; 01-13-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 04:18 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,071,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Breathing Fire View Post
But you can't tell if someone from D.C. by the way they sound unless you've been in D.C. for a long period of time. Most people are stunned when you tell them you're from D.C.
Yes you can.... whenever I go out of town thats the first thing ppl ask me is "Your from DC aren't you"?? then afterwards they say I can tell how you talk

Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
If after school raps ia what represents the DC accent, I feel bad for the place.
how is that bad... your so extreme

Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Could you please tell me where the historic major white, hispanic, and asian population in D.C. was located the past 50 years to have an identity? What major population of white, hispanic, or asian people are actually from d.c.? Where do they live and what percentage of the city did they make up over the last 50 years? How can a population of 12% white, 5% spanish, and .05% asian have an identity in a city? What is the black identity of Boise Idaho and I'm being serious? You seem to be missing the point! D.C. = City with only black people. Everyone else just got here 5-8 years ago from somewhere else. Maybe they came from Philly.
That's my point. The city's nearly as one-dimensional as Atlanta. In Philly, EVERYBODY shares the customs and culture. Mummers Day is not a black or white thing; it's a Philadelphia thing. Water ice is not an Italian thing (even though they invented it); it's a Philadelphia thing. Philly is more multi-faceted than DC by a long shot.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,726,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
how is that bad... your so extreme
Can you show a respectable grown professional with a DC accent, and not some hood crap.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Hmm...I wonder what a Bruce Springsteen video called the "Streets of Washington" would look like. I can see it now...the camera cuts to the front doors of Williams & Connolly where corporate litigators plug in their iPod headphones and head for the Metro. The second scene would explore the diverse urban tapestry of Capitol Hill, where young professionals order mocha lattes. The third scene would move to U Street, where more young (and mostly white) professionals would be picking up their clothing from an organic drycleaner. The fourth scene would show the line of people waiting for yummy Georgetown cupcakes. The final scene would shift to a white man being assaulted at L'Enfant Plaza by a bunch of hooligans. Sound about right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z2DtNW79sQ&ob=av3em

*For the record, nothing in Philadelphia would ever be advertised as "yummy." And we would never vote a guy into office who wore bow ties. Clowns.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:32 PM
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Can you show a respectable grown professional with a DC accent, and not some hood crap.
Thats easy... Martin Lawrence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC_MhPzbZwo

Old 01-13-2011, 04:36 PM

650 posts, read 1,328,194 times
I don't really notice a D.C. accent (they sounds regular most of the time), as for Baltimore I can, a little bit for Philly too (certain letters) but overall not that much different from me in NYC.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:40 PM

Our mayor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHQtrryJlO4

Your mayor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rWlsyY7R5s

Old 01-13-2011, 04:42 PM
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Hmm...I wonder what a Bruce Springsteen video called the "Streets of Washington" would look like. I can see it now...the camera cuts to the front doors of Williams & Connolly where corporate litigators plug in their iPod headphones and head for the Metro. The second scene would explore the diverse urban tapestry of Capitol Hill, where young professionals order mocha lattes. The third scene would move to U Street, where more young (and mostly white) professionals would be picking up their clothing from an organic drycleaner. The fourth scene would show the line of people waiting for yummy Georgetown cupcakes. The final scene would shift to a white man being assaulted at L'Enfant Plaza by a bunch of hooligans. Sound about right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z2DtNW79sQ&ob=av3em

*For the record, nothing in Philadelphia would ever be advertised as "yummy." And we would never vote a guy into office who wore bow ties. Clowns.
Soooooo how would this differ from a video being made in DC again ... DC is FAR superior to Philly and everybody knows it.... we dont have to sit up here and post every single Celebrity thats ever made it out of our City because most ppl know them already .... Philly is a working class city where as DC is a White Collar City... this is where the real money is being made (which might explain why your in DC yourself ) and we do it without making it to the showbiz... and as far as the whole school system thing goes.... most of the schools that made it to the top 10 best school in the US was in the DC area (where was Philly??) end of story... nice try though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City