Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:40 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,769,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
No.

Geographically it's not as "southern" than Florida but it's not a Northeast city.
DC Is just like Miami it's not the typical "southern" fairytale, farm ranch type of place, but that still doesn't change the fact it's in the south.

What's wrong with identifying with the south?
Oh, I guess some still have the same old stereotypical hillbilly thoughts about them. . . Move on.

I agree it's not for everyone but it's not located in the northeast.
That's but one government organization's region map. Many others place Maryland, Delaware, and DC (and strangely even Virginia sometimes) into their Northeast region.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:43 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
That's but one government organization's region map. Many others place Maryland, Delaware, and DC (and strangely even Virginia sometimes) into their Northeast region.
I'd like to see which maps do this.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:05 PM

175 posts, read 287,454 times
ACF Office of Regional Operations: ACF Regional Map (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/oro/regions/acf_regions.html - broken link)

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/oro/images/regionalmap.jpg (broken link)

GCC: College Fairs (http://www.gcc.edu/College_Fairs.php - broken link)

http://www.gcc.edu/gccim/USA_region_map.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Intensive English Language Programs in the US | Intensive English USA (http://www.intensiveenglishusa.org/Search.asp - broken link)

I could find better ones, but theres no need to. Only idiots would call DC dixie....

Old 11-02-2010, 03:11 PM

^ that should be the census map too....

AZ, NM, TX, OK should be its own region, put MD and Delaware in the north, and D.C. on the border. From then on out, DC will be DC. Not north or south, but DC. Call it the 3/5 compromise of 2010....

Old 11-02-2010, 03:13 PM

2,597 posts, read 4,660,594 times
Default boredatwork

Put a roomful of ppl from NY, NJ, PA, or even Baltimore with a group of ppl from D.C and I bet D.C would have the least in common with everybody else in that room ....or everybody else would have more in common then the folks from D.C

Last edited by boreatwork; 11-02-2010 at 03:30 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Put a roomful of ppl from NY, NJ, PA, or even Baltimore with a group of ppl from D.C and I bet D.C would have the least in common or with everybody else in that room ....or everybody else would have more in common then the folks from D.C
The same could be said about putting DC in the same room as someone from Richmond, ATL, or New Orleans.
I promise you DC is a city that has nothing in common with anyone. and if anyone brings up DC's AA population. Well I'm black, born and raised in DC, and to me everyone else is different..... and thats how most people in this city see it as....

Been to all them cities you named as well as the ones I named and I can't find too much in common with either of them

People from Boston, NYC, Philly, and Bmore will tell you sound country likewise people Richmond, Atlanta, New Orleans, Birmingham will swear up and down you're northern. At the end of the day, this region/category s**t is retarded. If anything the census should be based on time zones, but hey thats our American Gov't for you.

Last edited by Roth Asher; 11-02-2010 at 03:24 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 03:27 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,881,339 times
At this point, DC is so Northeastern culturally that you hear "bada bing, bada boom" at least once a day just walking around. Geographically, perhaps it *shouldn't* be, and perhaps it wasn't at some point in the past (especially as far back as the 19th century or earlier... if you'd have asked this question then, I'd have answered, "Hell no"), but the Northeast is bursting with people just waiting to invade the coastal South. You could just say it happened a bit earlier in DC - even earlier in Baltimore, perhaps. Even Charleton, SC isn't immune these days (same thing with the east coast of FL, but that's a whole different story... Northeasterners have been migrating there - permanently! - for ages).. some days in downtown Charleston these days, for instance, you'll be lucky to hear even one Southern accent (again, there'll be a lot of 'bada bing, bada booms'). And yes, yes, Northeasterners have been traveling to the SE for ages, but it's only recently that they've begun to settle there permanently in such alarmingly huge numbers.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:28 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Put a roomful of ppl from NY, NJ, PA, or even Baltimore with a group of ppl from D.C and I bet D.C would have the least in common or with everybody else in that room ....or everybody else would have more in common then the folks from D.C
Can't say I agree. Anecdotally, I'd say most folks from each region will have some familiarity with the others. They will likely have at least visited all the cities and know people who lived or stayed or went to school there, etc.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
At this point, DC is so Northeastern culturally that you hear "bada bing, bada boom" at least once a day just walking around. Geographically, perhaps it *shouldn't* be, and perhaps it wasn't at some point in the past (especially as far back as the 19th century or earlier... if you'd have asked this question then, I'd have answered, "Hell no"), but the Northeast is bursting with people just waiting to invade the coastal South. You could just say it happened a bit earlier in DC - even earlier in Baltimore, perhaps. Even Charleton, SC isn't immune these days (same thing with the east coast of FL, but that's a whole different story... Northeasterners have been migrating there - permanently! - for ages).. some days in downtown Charleston these days, for instance, you'll be lucky to hear even one Southern accent (again, there'll be a lot of 'bada bing, bada booms'). And yes, yes, Northeasterners have been traveling to the SE for ages, but it's only recently that they've begun to settle there permanently in such alarmingly huge numbers.
I lived in Philadelphia for 17 years and never heard anyone say "Bada Bing, Bada Boom." Likewise, I have never heard anyone use this expression in the DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City