Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM

758 posts, read 1,962,183 times

Advertisements

So now Atlanta has a big core and Boston and Philly have small cores.

And Detroit is booming and Beverly Hills is poor and up is down and left is right.

Atlanta's core is tiny compared to these cities. I bet most folks can't even distinguish between Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead.

Can you imagine visiting Philly and not understanding if Center City or King of Prussia were the downtown?

Old 11-03-2010, 02:27 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,892,728 times
I'm not sure, but I think DC's Finest was also making the point that Atlanta's core is tiny compared to Boston and Philly.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:31 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I counted 9 on this list. I have obliged and answered your question. Now it's your turn to answer mine.

Why does DC lack the large numbers of Italians, Irish, and Greeks that northern cities have? Does the absence of these groups make DC culturally different from Boston, New York, and Philadelphia?

It seems that most people have a general idea of what southern culture is? So what defines northern culture?

Do you deny that the District of Columbia was part of the Jim Crow South? The History of Jim Crow (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ERBXo8iINmMJ:jimcrowhistory.org/resources/narratives/Roceal_Duke.htm+jim+crow+washington+union+station& cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)
DC's Finest,

I'm saddened to see that I responded to your post, but yet you refuse to answer my four little questions. Please do the courteous thing and give them a shot.

I hope you're not answering for fear of having your precious city lumped together with the millions of southerners that you chastise for being uncultured and uncosmopolitan.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:32 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Ohio,

Bajan is throwing darts in the dark hoping to hit is target. CC Philly kills Atlanta. I couldn't tell if Buckhead was the official DT or not. His argument is ridiculous. I gave him 12 characteristics that showed how DC is much more in tune with Philly and Boston and he keeps harping about immigrants and the docks and the garment industry. It's comical.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Ohio,

Bajan is throwing darts in the dark hoping to hit is target. CC Philly kills Atlanta. I couldn't tell if Buckhead was the official DT or not. His argument is ridiculous. I gave him 12 characteristics that showed how DC is much more in tune with Philly and Boston and he keeps harping about immigrants and the docks and the garment industry. It's comical.
The only thing that's comical is your assertion that DC is a northern city when it was part of the Jim Crow South.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:35 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Atlanta has a larger "downtown" (including Buckhead, Midtown, etc.) but it's more spread out and far less dense than places like Philly and Boston's downtowns. It's more similar to other southern cities' CBDs like Houston, Dallas or Charlotte.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:38 PM

DC's Finest,

I'll make it easy for you. I've taken out the relevant portion from the link I previously posted and bolded the most important language. Similar to Philly, New York, and Boston? Sounds more like Greensboro, NC to me.

What's up with black people moving to separate cars once they arrived in DC? That doesn't sound very northern to me, especially considering the fact blacks could ride alongside whites in Boston, New York, and Philadelphia. What's up with that, B? Don't punk out and get quiet on me now. I expect a full retort.

But I doubt you will. I just posted this to josh with you and determine exactly how delusional you really are.

The whole idea of separate but equal was very prevalent in the Washington area. I never felt--I can only speak for myself--that I was missing out on anything. We had movie theaters, we had restaurants, and we went shopping. Even when we went downtown, we went to stores where we knew we were going to be waited on.Lansburg's was one of the first major department stores to allow black people to have credit. Kahn's was another. We didn't think about going into Garfinkel's [a major Washington department store], because they wouldn't even wait on you. They'd just completely ignore you. That went on for a very long time. We had people in our church who were very, very light, and they would go in and out of Garfinkel's and get waited on. So, it was complexion thing.

I remember my father ... my father was a dapper kind of guy. His place to shop was DJ (Kaufmanns?). He had to earn--believe it or not, earn--the right to shop there. He went in dressed: shirt, tie, hat, and the whole business. They were happy to serve him. But somebody else just off the street may not have been served.

Washington was very peculiar. The train station, Union Station, was the point where--as you traveled from the North--you changed trains. Until you arrived at Union Station, you could sit anywhere you wanted to as you traveled from the North; but when you got to Washington, D.C., the trains became segregated. There were black cars, and there were white cars. So, as you went further south, you were segregated into black cars and white cars. At Union Station. Where the laws are made right across the street.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Bajan,

I never said that DC was just like Boston and NYC. I acknowledge that DC evolved very differently, hence me mentioning that government was and is DC big industry and also identifying AA's as DC immigrant or ethnic group. Fast forward 50 years later and each of the things you keep pile driving into your post are basically irrelevant. Boston, developed on the backs of Irish immigrants is no longer blue collar. It is an economic powerhouse for New England because of........ Same can be said for Chicago and New York. These cities have evolved. DC has evolved from a small government town into a major political powerhouse that affects just about every aspect of American life.

What you fail to digest is that the juggernaut we call the "Northeast Corridor" is anchored by DC and Boston with NYC contributing as the fashion, entertainment, media and financial mecca. Each of these cities are decidely different today than they were 50 - 60 years ago (so please stop it with the no Italians or Greeks) but they also have so much more in common than cities outside the region. I gave you 12 examples but I could dig much deeper into it. By the way, I told you that DC had a lvery large Jewish population up until the 50's. They all moved to Montgomery County because of "White Flight."

Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Bajan,

I never said that DC was just like Boston and NYC. I acknowledge that DC evolved very differently, hence me mentioning that government was and is DC big industry and also identifying AA's as DC immigrant or ethnic group. Fast forward 50 years later and each of the things you keep pile driving into your post are basically irrelevant. Boston, developed on the backs of Irish immigrants is no longer blue collar. It is an economic powerhouse for New England because of........ Same can be said for Chicago and New York. These cities have evolved. DC has evolved from a small government town into a major political powerhouse that affects just about every aspect of American life.

What you fail to digest is that the juggernaut we call the "Northeast Corridor" is anchored by DC and Boston with NYC contributing as the fashion, entertainment, media and financial mecca. Each of these cities are decidely different today than they were 50 - 60 years ago (so please stop it with the no Italians or Greeks) but they also have so much more in common than cities outside the region. I gave you 12 examples but I could dig much deeper into it. By the way, I told you that DC had a lvery large Jewish population up until the 50's. They all moved to Montgomery County because of "White Flight."
Charleston, SC and New Orleans, LA also have large Jewish populations. So what? That doesn't make them northern.

I'm still waiting to hear your argument that DC is northern notwithstanding its status as a Jim Crow jurisdiction just 50 years ago.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:48 PM

My grandmother is 97 years old. She use to ride the train from NYC to South Boston, VA. She told me first hand that once they LEFT DC, they had to move seats. Get your facts straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City