Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:43 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I lived in Philadelphia for 17 years and never heard anyone say "Bada Bing, Bada Boom." Likewise, I have never heard anyone use this expression in the DC area.
Hee hee... you were probably saying it yourself and didn't even notice.

Drum roll, cymbal crash. Or B-B, B-B, if you prefer.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:48 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post

People from Boston, NYC, Philly, and Bmore will tell you sound country likewise people Richmond, Atlanta, New Orleans, Birmingham will swear up and down you're northern. At the end of the day, this region/category s**t is retarded. If anything the census should be based on time zones, but hey thats our American Gov't for you.
So true. I have meant many people from Southern VA that tells me they can't do this up north thing. Up north to them is Washington DC and points north.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:15 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
I went to school in the south. All the people from DC, NYC, Bmore, and Philly hung together. They also wore similar gear!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I went to school in the south. All the people from DC, NYC, Bmore, and Philly hung together. They also wore similar gear!
Grease?

Just kidding... I love Baltimore and Philly. Not so much DC, although it certainly has its good points, too.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times
DC is unique (for any region), but definitely part of the Northeast. Unlike like most major East Coast cities in the North and South, DC has no real distinctive accent. The building height restriction and other quirks also make DC different. At the same time in terms of transit (heavily used and multiple modes of mass transit), politics (very Democratic), economics (knowledge-based), demographics (relatively wealthy), and density (10K/sq. mi, no major Southern city outside of FL has a density of >5K sq. mi.) DC (and arguably it's close in Virginia suburbs to the south) is truly Northeastern.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:48 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
DC is unique (for any region), but definitely part of the Northeast. Unlike like most major East Coast cities in the North and South, DC has no real distinctive accent. The building height restriction and other quirks also make DC different. At the same time in terms of transit (heavily used and multiple modes of mass transit), politics (very Democratic), economics (knowledge-based), demographics (relatively wealthy), and density (10K/sq. mi, no major Southern city outside of FL has a density of >5K sq. mi.) DC (and arguably it's close in Virginia suburbs to the south) is truly Northeastern.
DC lacks most of the things that northern cities possess. I mean, what's DC's equivalent of Southie or Grays Ferry?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
^^^^^Totally False!

DC is more like NE cities than southern cities!

Physical Layout: Northeast
Transportation Ridership: Northeast
Huge Downtown Core: Northeast
Walkable Neighborhoods and Connectivity: Northeast
Weather: Northeast
Educated Populace: Northeast
Cosmopolitan: Northeast
Political Makeup: Northeast
Cultural Ammenities: Northeast
Social Makeup: Northeast
Pace of Life: Northeast
Density: Northeast
Large Commercial Office Space: Northeast
Diversity: Northeast
High Per Capita Income: Northeast
High Housing Prices: Northeast
High Cost of Living: Northeast
High Employment: Northeast
High Taxes: Northeast
Multiple Institutions of Higher Learning: Northeast (Would you consider Georgetown a southern school or one associated with NE schools like Villanova, St. Johns, Seton Hall)

Last edited by DC's Finest; 11-03-2010 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-03-2010, 09:15 AM

175 posts, read 287,063 times
Read this if you still think DC is the south:

Prince Of Petworth » Blog Archive »

Old 11-03-2010, 09:32 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
^^^^^Totally False!

DC is more like NE cities than southern cities!

Physical Layout: More like Philly and Bmore or Atlanta and Houston
Transportation Ridership: More like Boston or Atlanta
Huge Downtown Core: More like Philly or Atlanta
Walkable Neighborhoods and Connectivity: More like Atlanta or Philly
Educated Populace: Northeast
Political Makeup: Northeast
Cultural Ammenities: Northeast
Social Makeup: Northeast
Pace of Life: Northeast
Density: Northeast
Diversity: Northeast
Per Capita Income: Northeast
Housing Prices: Northeast
Cost of Living: Northeast
Employment: Northeast
Taxes: Northeast
Institutions of Higher Learning: Northeast (Would you consider Georgetown a southern school or one associated with NE schools like Villanova, St. Johns, Seton Hall)
How is it totally false? You're assuming that cultural amenities, diversity, cost of living, good schools, and liberalism are the exclusive province of northeastern cities. You focus only on the things that DC has in common with the northeast (which a number of different cities also have in common with the northeast, btw), but wholly ignore all of the dissimilarities.

First, I have already pointed out that DC never had a manufacturing base. You ignored this. Second, DC never had waves of late 19th/early 20th century European immigration. You ignore this as well and act as if this only makes a superficial difference. Third, and as a result of the first two things I mentioned, the northeast has very strongly-rooted blue-collar, Italian-Sicilian and Irish communities that are virtually non-existent in the DC area. And unlike DC, Boston, New York, and Philly are all MAJOR hard hat union towns. Are you going to tell me that none of those things truly define the northeast.

The best argument put forward for DC being a northern city is the fact that it is dense and in close proximity to the northeast. But that's not really convincing to me. The "Social Makeup" of the Washington, DC area is nothing like that of New York. What do you mean by that? True, DC has a train system, but that's a very recent thing, just like Atlanta's Marta system. And most northern cities don't have a highly educated population. Do you think Providence, Newark, and Philly are highly educated cities?

Finally, the "DC votes democratic" thing is not a good argument. Nearly all major cities go blue. And the Democrats in the northeast are often voting for a completely different set of issues than Dems in the DC area. Dems in DC are voting for free trade, protection of the environment, civil liberties, and stuff like that. The overwhelming majority of Dems in the northeast favor protectionism and are primarily concerned with preserving the strength of labor unions. It's not the same thing.

If a northern city, in your view, is defined by density, diversity, cultural amenities, an educated populace, high per capita income, and a fast pace of life, then a southern city must be defined by barns, racial and cultural homogeneity, no cultural offerings, and poor Stepin Fetchit incenstuous yokels. The truth is that there are southern cities that have plenty of cultural offerings, high per capita income, and diverse and highly educated populations, and northern cities with impoverished, poorly-educated, bitter, close-minded racist bigots.

It seems to me that most people on this board believe that southern cities are the complete antithesis of everything northern cities are supposed to be. That's a very bigoted view, imo, and one that does not comport with reality.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 11-03-2010 at 09:58 AM..

Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 AM

442 posts, read 827,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How is it totally false? You're assuming that cultural amenities, diversity, cost of living, good schools, and liberalism are the exclusive province of northeastern cities. You focus only on the things that DC has in common with the northeast (which a number of different cities also have in common with the northeast, btw), but wholly ignore all of the dissimilarities.

First, I have already pointed out that DC never had a manufacturing base. You ignored this. Second, DC never had waves of late 19th/early 20th century European immigration. You ignore this as well and act as if this only makes a superficial difference. Third, and as a result of the first two things I mentioned, the northeast has very strongly-rooted blue-collar, Italian-Sicilian and Irish communities that are virtually non-existent in the DC area. And unlike DC, Boston, New York, and Philly are all MAJOR hard hat union towns. Are you going to tell me that none of those things truly define the northeast.

The best argument put forward for DC being a northern city is the fact that it is dense and in close proximity to the northeast. But that's not really convincing to me. The "Social Makeup" of the Washington, DC area is nothing like that of New York. What do you mean by that? True, DC has a train system, but that's a very recent thing, just like Atlanta's Marta system. And most northern cities don't have a highly educated population. Do you think Providence, Newark, and Philly are highly educated cities?

Finally, the "DC votes democratic" thing is not a good argument. Nearly all major cities go blue. And the Democrats in the northeast are often voting for a completely different set of issues than Dems in the DC area. Dems in DC are voting for free trade, protection of the environment, civil liberties, and stuff like that. The overwhelming majority of Dems in the northeast favor protectionism are primarily concerned with preserving the strength of labor unions. It's not the same thing.

If a northern city, in your view, is defined by density, diversity, cultural amenities, an educated populace, high per capita income, and a fast pace of life, then a southern city must be defined by barns, racial and cultural homogeneity, no cultural offerings, and poor Stepin Fetchit incenstuous yokels. The truth is that there are southern cities that have plenty of cultural offerings, high per capita income, and diverse and highly educated populations, and northern cities with impoverished, poorly-educated, bitter, close-minded racist bigots.

It seems to me that most people on this board believe that southern cities are the complete antithesis of everything northern cities are supposed to be. That's a very bigoted view, imo, and one that does not comport with reality.
Thanks you for this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City