Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:40 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That's interesting because I think Atlanta & DC have similarities. The streets/highways feel a little similar, MARTA & WMATA feel kinda similar, a lot of similar architecture (minus the historic monuments), etc.
I think someone said it best a few dozen pages ago that Atlanta and D.C. culturally are pretty much identical.

Both have a very large (and affluent) African-American population

Both were the first big cities to elect African-American mayors (both were elected in 1974)

Both are the elite centers of African-American education. DC with Howard and Atlanta with the AUC (Morehouse, Spelman, and Clark-Atlanta).

Both in their respective city propers have a affluent White-American population, with almost no poor or working class Whites (very different than the case in Northeastern cities)

Both have very large native African immigrant communities (DC is the second largest, Atlanta is the third largest)

Both cities have been inundated with massive gentrification in the city proper and massive suburbanization outside of it (both DC and Atlanta have almost the same city population (about 600k) and the same suburban population (about 5 million).

Both have had a large amount Northeastern transplants over the last half century

Religiously, both cities are largely protestant as opposed to Northeastern cities that are largely Catholic. Both have large Muslim populations, and small but strong Jewish communities.

As for your other points:

The DC Metro and Atlanta's MARTA use exactly the same technology and rolling stock. The Metro is superior system however due to it's layout in the district and it's length, but they both have the same theory in construction.

Architecturally they are very different in terms of residential and commercial buildings, but even though DC is made up almost entire of rowhouses and townhomes, there are all pretty much SFH so it ends up being medium density like Atlanta and not at all high density like NYC, Boston or Philly. Of course there is the big fact that DC can not have skyscrapers and Atlanta has tones.

There is one thing most people don't think of though when talking about this subject, much of the granite used in Federal buildings in DC was pulled from quarries in Georgia.

The street layout I don't really agree with since the District had a plan and Atlanta, well, didn't :P. But then again, DC is unique in this regard as no other city is like DC in the United States. Only Savannah is sorta similar IMHO.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM

758 posts, read 1,961,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I think someone said it best a few dozen pages ago that Atlanta and D.C. culturally are pretty much identical.

Both have a very large (and affluent) African-American population

Both were the first big cities to elect African-American mayors (both were elected in 1974)

Both are the elite centers of African-American education. DC with Howard and Atlanta with the AUC (Morehouse, Spelman, and Clark-Atlanta).

Both in their respective city propers have a affluent White-American population, with almost no poor or working class Whites (very different than the case in Northeastern cities)

Both have very large native African immigrant communities (DC is the second largest, Atlanta is the third largest)

Both cities have been inundated with massive gentrification in the city proper and massive suburbanization outside of it (both DC and Atlanta have almost the same city population (about 600k) and the same suburban population (about 5 million).

Both have had a large amount Northeastern transplants over the last half century

Religiously, both cities are largely protestant as opposed to Northeastern cities that are largely Catholic. Both have large Muslim populations, and small but strong Jewish communities.

As for your other points:

The DC Metro and Atlanta's MARTA use exactly the same technology and rolling stock. The Metro is superior system however due to it's layout in the district and it's length, but they both have the same theory in construction.

Architecturally they are very different in terms of residential and commercial buildings, but even though DC is made up almost entire of rowhouses and townhomes, there are all pretty much SFH so it ends up being medium density like Atlanta and not at all high density like NYC, Boston or Philly. Of course there is the big fact that DC can not have skyscrapers and Atlanta has tones.

There is one thing most people don't think of though when talking about this subject, much of the granite used in Federal buildings in DC was pulled from quarries in Georgia.

The street layout I don't really agree with since the District had a plan and Atlanta, well, didn't :P. But then again, DC is unique in this regard as no other city is like DC in the United States. Only Savannah is sorta similar IMHO.
I'm not getting how DC and Atlanta are culturally similar.

Would you say NYC and Atlanta are culturally similar?

Both have large African American populations.

Both have large African immigrant populations.

Both have had black mayors.

Both have gentrification.

Both have prominent black cultural institutions.

Both have an affluent white population, and almost no poor or working class whites.

And I could do the same for LA, Chicago, and a ton of other cities.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:55 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
^^Also, I'd add that the two metro areas pretty similar-looking outside of their respective city limits. The DC Metro area is home to 5.4 million people, and only 590,000 of them actually live in the District of Columbia, so posting pictures of buildings in DC only tells a small part of the story. Most of the DC Metro area is new construction and resembles Atlanta's suburbs in Cobb, North Fulton, Clayton, and Douglas counties. I mean, this neighborhood could be in Silver Spring or Alpharetta, but I won't say which one.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
^^Also, I'd add that the two metro areas pretty similar-looking outside of their respective city limits. The DC Metro area is home to 5.4 million people, and only 590,000 of them actually live in the District of Columbia, so posting pictures of buildings in DC only tells a small part of the story. Most of the DC Metro area is new construction and resembles Atlanta's suburbs in Cobb, North Fulton, Clayton, and Douglas counties. I mean, this neighborhood could be in Silver Spring or Alpharetta, but I won't say which one.
But it could also be in suburban Seattle or Detroit, so what's your point?

I have a relative who lives in a house that looks just like that, in Canton, MI, a suburb of Detroit.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Both have an affluent white population, and almost no poor or working class whites.
New York has no working-class whites, eh? Hmm...I guess the media had me fooled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv_3CrXggNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3BzN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0g-O-Vq7G8

Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not getting how DC and Atlanta are culturally similar.

Would you say NYC and Atlanta are culturally similar?
As a whole, not at all.

But lets go through your contrived list:

Quote:
Both have large African American populations.
This is a commonality that Atlanta shares with NYC (NYC has the largest African-American population and Atlanta the second largest). DC also includes this commonality. The difference is that the affluent African-American populations in both DC in Atlanta far outstrip what you find in NYC in terms of size and percentage.

Quote:
Both have large African immigrant populations.
Yes, they do. This is something all three have. It goes:

1. NYC
2. DC
3. Atlanta
{everyone else, but shout out to Minneapolis-St. Paul)

Quote:
Both have had black mayors.
No, NYC had a single black mayor for a single term and he was elected 16 years after the first African-American mayors of DC and Atlanta.

Also, Dinkins election and term was one of the most volatile political environments in NYC history. The neighborhoods were at each other throats and his term ended with his ouster at the hands of a Republican. (that last bit is extremely unlikely to happen in DC or Atlanta). There has not been a African-American mayor of NYC since and that was 16 years ago.

DC and Atlanta on the other hand have had nothing but African-American mayors for almost the last 40 years as well as majority African-American city councils and other public service positions. It's a totally different situation than NYC.

Quote:
Both have gentrification.
Yes, but it hasn't amounted to the same type of change that has occurred in DC and Atlanta. Most of that is due to the fact that NYC is simply physically larger than both.

Quote:
Both have prominent black cultural institutions.
Of higher learning? Uh, name a single HBCU in NYC or any university in NYC that is even parallel to that of Howard, Morehouse, Spelman, or Clark-Atlanta University? None exist.

Quote:
Guess you've never been to Brooklyn, the Bronx or Queens before, huh?

Quote:
And I could do the same for LA, Chicago, and a ton of other cities.
But only slightly. For the points I laid out, DC and Atlanta are most comparable among big cities.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Oh yes. Suburban DC and Suburban Atlanta are almost identical in every way bad and good.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
New York has no working-class whites, eh? Hmm...I guess the media had me fooled.
Um, have you been to Bensonhurst lately? It is mostly Chinese!

The working class Italians have mostly left Bensonhurst.

These youtube clips are movies, not real life! And they are from decades ago! A Bronx Tale is from the 50's.

BTW, Goodfellas mostly takes place in Valley Stream, Long Island, not NYC. That is where they live. Not that it matters, because it takes place in the 70's.

The working class white outer borough neighborhoods have almost all been transformed.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh yes. Suburban DC and Suburban Atlanta are almost identical in every way bad and good.
And suburban Detroit and suburban Atlanta are almost identical.

Same goes with all suburbs.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
And suburban Detroit and suburban Atlanta are almost identical.

Same goes with all suburbs.
LOL, no, Suburban Detroit is nothing like suburban Atlanta or suburban DC.

For one, suburban Detroit is like 95% White. Suburban DC and Atlanta are extremely diverse and hold the most diversity of their metros.

But there are lots of other differences, but it seems you are stuck on this "just repeat what they" say mode of "debating". Dude, no one is agreeing with you and aren't backing up any of your claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City