Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:31 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times

Advertisements

Banjan,

DC's structural density and population density resemble its northern counterparts. The miles and miles of rowhomes is a prime example. What southern city has this?

Transportation - You mentioned Philly? What about NYC & Boston? These cities are heavily dependent on their subways and commuter rail systems. DC falls directly into this as well. As the Metro goes, so does DC.
What southern cities have a high percentage of their populations depending upon PT? NONE!

Large DT Core - Again, NYC, Philly, Boston! Let's throw in Chicago too. DC has the third largest DT (commercial office space) in the US. Where does the ATL rank? Oh behind Tysons Corner, a DC burb. These are characteristics of Northern cities. I think you are seeing the pattern here.

Fast Paced Cities - Do you really thin the ATL is on par with DC, Boston or Philly in regard to being fast paced. People in Atlanta don't jay walk. That should tell you something.

Cultural Ammenities - The sheer number of cultural offerings in DC, Philly, NYC and Boston can't be compared with any other city in the country. Houston?? Come on son. The cities I have listed have something southern cities lack. HISTORY!

Extremely liberal - Look at it from this standpoint. I get your point about the urban versus rural voting patterns but DC has never been a place that adheres to any southern traditions, values or ways of life (i.e.) like Virginia with its endearing love for everything Confederate. In the ATL, people are a bit more conservative than DC. You will never see gay marriage being legal in any southern city. DC also celebrates Emancipation Day. One of the reasons why I hate VA so much is they are still stuck in the Civil War era in some parts. Even in NOVA, the street names and schools represent a racist heritage.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Those housing projects don't look like Southern ones.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Banjan,

DC's structural density and population density resemble its northern counterparts. The miles and miles of rowhomes is a prime example. What southern city has this?

Transportation - You mentioned Philly? What about NYC & Boston? These cities are heavily dependent on their subways and commuter rail systems. DC falls directly into this as well. As the Metro goes, so does DC.
What southern cities have a high percentage of their populations depending upon PT? NONE!

Large DT Core - Again, NYC, Philly, Boston! Let's throw in Chicago too. DC has the third largest DT (commercial office space) in the US. Where does the ATL rank? Oh behind Tysons Corner, a DC burb. These are characteristics of Northern cities. I think you are seeing the pattern here.

Fast Paced Cities - Do you really thin the ATL is on par with DC, Boston or Philly in regard to being fast paced. People in Atlanta don't jay walk. That should tell you something.

Cultural Ammenities - The sheer number of cultural offerings in DC, Philly, NYC and Boston can't be compared with any other city in the country. Houston?? Come on son. The cities I have listed have something southern cities lack. HISTORY!

Extremely liberal - Look at it from this standpoint. I get your point about the urban versus rural voting patterns but DC has never been a place that adheres to any southern traditions, values or ways of life (i.e.) like Virginia with its endearing love for everything Confederate. In the ATL, people are a bit more conservative than DC. You will never see gay marriage being legal in any southern city. DC also celebrates Emancipation Day. One of the reasons why I hate VA so much is they are still stuck in the Civil War era in some parts. Even in NOVA, the street names and schools represent a racist heritage.
I should point out that while DC does share these similarities with Northern cities, it does so for an entirely different reason: it is a federal district and the home of the federal government. NYC, Boston, and Philly gained all of those things organically, while DC would have these things even if it were smack dab in the geographic center of the country.

Oh, and about never seeing gay marriage being legal in any Southern city (and I wouldn't say "never"--if it's possible in Iowa [before NY, CA, MD, etc.], I think it can happen in the South), I think you're being a bit disingenuous with that and I believe you know why: DC doesn't have a state to contend with as far as this goes. If cities could do this on their own, it would definitely happen sooner rather than later (especially in Atlanta).

Old 10-30-2010, 07:51 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
DC doesn't have a state to contend with but it has the Federal government and Congress to deal with and it's much worse IMO.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 15,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Oh, and about never seeing gay marriage being legal in any Southern city (and I wouldn't say "never"--if it's possible in Iowa [before NY, CA, MD, etc.], I think it can happen in the South), I think you're being a bit disingenuous with that and I believe you know why: DC doesn't have a state to contend with as far as this goes. If cities could do this on their own, it would definitely happen sooner rather than later (especially in Atlanta).
I agree the DC gay marriage policy is mostly related to the fact it is a city, without a rural areas like a state. But, DC is basically a city in Md.

Although, MD doesn't have gay marriage, it has a domestic partnership law and it recognizes same-sex wedding performed elsewhere. Plus, its political leaders overwhelmingly killed efforts to pass a constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage.

On cultural issues, MD/DC is more inline with the NE than with the south.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:14 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Where does the ATL rank? Oh behind Tysons Corner, a DC burb.
This oft-repeated myth is absolutely NOT true.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:09 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
DC doesn't have a state to contend with but it has the Federal government and Congress to deal with and it's much worse IMO.
I disagree big time. You can look at transit as example A.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:13 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This oft-repeated myth is absolutely NOT true.
Any sources to back your claim? Or did you read it on Wiki?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:29 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
DC's Finest,

Atlanta has prominent cultural institutions such as the High Museum. This could rival museums in Philly and Boston.

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Atlanta has theater. The Fox Theater is probably more well-known than the Kennedy Center.

Atlanta has a sizeable downtown.

http://www.perrottalaw.com/firm/imag...ta_skyline.jpg (broken link)

Atlanta has mass transit.

Atlanta also tons of Obama-voting liberals who buy organic vegetables at open air farmer's markets.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/re...ident/map.html

Based on your list, Atlanta matches up pretty nicely with DC. Why can't we consider Atlanta northern too?

Last edited by Marka; 10-26-2013 at 01:37 AM..

Old 11-01-2010, 09:37 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,874 times
There are way too many Confederate flags being flown outside private residences in the Atlanta metro to be like DC and northern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City