Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 02:13 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Are you suggesting that Gallery Place / Chinatown is the most vibrant strip in the United States outside of New York City?
I'm actually talking about the billboards, lights, people etc. etc. I haven't seen an area better than that anywhere but NYC in an urban zero lot development setting with close to 24 hr vibrancy in the U.S. I have not been everywhere in the U.S. so if you know of another area with lights, billboards, and vibrancy greater than Gallery Place, please share its location with me. I'm always up to learn about new places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 02:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Honestly, I get tired of your comparisons of Philadelphia and D.C. I pretty much ignore them and try to focus on the positive things happening in D.C. I don't really participate in these rankings and comparisons except on rare occasions. I don't see the need to argue over who is better than who etc. etc. I think its pretty worthless honestly. I don't like Philadelphia and I think the city smells and many of the people are depressed and poor. It just feels dirty to me when I'm there. I normally try not to put down cities but you don't really give people a choice do you?

Or as you say. Just wait 2 or 4 years and DC will be amazing. People will have to see all I am talking about. And no it is obvious you dont care .

But hey when all all else fails, maybe just throw some rocks or insults. Assume that worked well for you on the playground, enjoy

Oh and yes DC has no dirty and poor areas thankfully

You are really too much MD, trite replies with an act of dismissal when once again you make outlandish comments and are called out, even by DC posters

And dont give you a choice, because I said this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
That is a shame. Like DC CC has a lot to offer everyone

Germantown? probably better compared to SE DC and not sure what that has to do with CC or DTDC

Maybe you would like U City better, there are parts that look more like DC, more newer buildings of similar height. Though to me DTDC is more vibrant

Honestly in this discussion where is it exactly that I made disbaraging comments on DC, your replies yes but DC, really dont think so

So when faced with reality you say Philly is smelly, again am sure that tactic worked well on recess, grow up MD

Old 02-12-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I'm actually talking about the billboards, lights, people etc. etc. I haven't seen an area better than that anywhere but NYC in an urban zero lot development setting with close to 24 hr vibrancy in the U.S. I have not been everywhere in the U.S. so if you know of another area with lights, billboards, and vibrancy greater than Gallery Place, please share its location with me. I'm always up to learn about new places.

Oddly your Billboards are going up on Market East in Philly.

Not sure it will do a ton as the area needs people and street facing stuff more than lights

In terms of vibrancy, areas of SF and Philly to me are moreso, but guess you need billboards or shiny lights for vibrancy by your definition

Hollywood is little like that as well but not DT

Toronto also has an area you might like in this regard, and obviously Picadily in London among others

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/re...ment.html?_r=4

Old 02-12-2012, 02:30 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:

Gallery Place does have a cool vibe going with the Neon Lights/Screens from the Verizon Center, and there are not too many places at that level outside NYC (San Fran, LA, Vegas, Miami, Chicago), but in terms of vibrancy (People, Restaurants, Bars, etc), there are many places that surpass it IMO. It might not be your seen, but you should check out Clark St. in Wrigleyville (lakeview) Chicago, especially when the cubs are playing, as both areas tend to thrive around a stadium.

Wrigleyville area is litterally 40,000 people in a 3-4 block radius with 60-70 bars and restaurants. It may not have the neon lights like Gallery Place but it def beats Gallery Place with billboards.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Or as you say. Just wait 2 or 4 years and DC will be amazing. People will have to see all I am talking about. And no it is obvious you dont care .

But hey when all all else fails, maybe just throw some rocks or insults. Assume that worked well for you on the playground, enjoy

Oh and yes DC has no dirty and poor areas thankfully

You are really too much MD, trite replies with an act of dismissal when once again you make outlandish comments and are called out, even by DC posters

And dont give you a choice, because I said this?

Honestly in this discussion where is it exactly that I made disbaraging comments on DC, your replies yes but DC, really dont think so

So when faced with reality you say Philly is smelly, again am sure that tactic worked well on recess, grow up MD
Saying D.C. posters should wait a few years to participate in these discussions has nothing to do with other cities. Did I mention any cities by name? Did I make a comparison? I was educating people that live in D.C. about the development pipeline here in this city. What does that have to do with any other city? I don't really care about anywhere other than D.C. because it doesn't effect me.

I'm not bashing Philadelphia on purpose, you asked me about Philadelphia and I told you what I think about the city. I don't even bring up Center City or any other city for that matter in these threads. You'll always seem to find a way to compare your cities to D.C. though. I really couldn't care less about what is happening in Philadelphia or Chicago. I don't live there. If something is happening for you guys great, but what does that have to do with me? If I'm making a comparison, it's about something I find successful and positive going on in another city that D.C. is trying to bring to our city. I recently did that with Michigan Ave in Chicago in relation to the Golden Triangle. I don't really post about other cities much. I actually know a ton of people that feel that way about Philadelphia so I'm not alone in that respect. In fact, driving into Philadelphia gives everyone that idea. It's a blue collar city, what do you expect?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Saying D.C. posters should wait a few years to participate in these discussions has nothing to do with other cities. Did I mention any cities by name? Did I make a comparison? I was educating people that live in D.C. about the development pipeline here in this city. What does that have to do with any other city? I don't really care about anywhere other than D.C. because it doesn't effect me.

I'm not bashing Philadelphia on purpose, you asked me about Philadelphia and I told you what I think about the city. I don't even bring up Center City or any other city for that matter in these threads. You'll always seem to find a way to compare your cities to D.C. though. I really couldn't care less about what is happening in Philadelphia or Chicago. I don't live there. If something is happening for you guys great, but what does that have to do with me? If I'm making a comparison, it's about something I find successful and positive going on in another city that D.C. is trying to bring to our city. I recently did that with Michigan Ave in Chicago in relation to the Golden Triangle. I don't really post about other cities much. I actually know a ton of people that feel that way about Philadelphia so I'm not alone in that respect. In fact, driving into Philadelphia gives everyone that idea. It's a blue collar city, what do you expect?
This is a City vs City thread, comparisons are bound to happen. If you want to educate DC residents on whats going on in DC, the DC sub thread would probably be more appropriate.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Its all good, like myself in terms of vibrancy many find DC bland and monotonous in the DT (though not all of it and prefer many of the nabes outside of DT), it is good to have different choices

And I also disagree that just a few years is going to make all the difference (for all the reasons I stated prior) but again you can disagree

And with Threads created like will NOMA be better than Center City or more of your banter, yep you never bring it up

Also I asked if you think DC is more vibrant, you said smelly and blue collar and dirty or what do you call it ghetto.

But is all good, true colors come out and insults in repsonse to this discussion are cowardly, no matter how they are masked

Old 02-12-2012, 02:38 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Quote:
This is a City vs City thread, comparisons are bound to happen. If you want to educate DC residents on whats going on in DC, the DC sub thread would probably be more appropriate.
other than a better than average PT, free museums, DC really has not much more to offer than other cities, mediocre at best.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Gallery Place does have a cool vibe going with the Neon Lights/Screens from the Verizon Center, and there are not too many places at that level outside NYC (San Fran, LA, Vegas, Miami, Chicago), but in terms of vibrancy (People, Restaurants, Bars, etc), there are many places that surpass it IMO. It might not be your seen, but you should check out Clark St. in Wrigleyville (lakeview) Chicago, especially when the cubs are playing, as both areas tend to thrive around a stadium.

Wrigleyville area is litterally 40,000 people in a 3-4 block radius with 60-70 bars and restaurants. It may not have the neon lights like Gallery Place but it def beats Gallery Place with billboards.
I definitely wasn't saying Gallery Place was the most vibrant place in the country after NYC. I was saying the atmosphere that has been created there I haven't seen anywhere else but NYC. Times Square is Gallery place X10,000 obviously but I haven't seen that style anywhere else. Without the Verizon Center to provide the masses of people, D.C. wouldn't have an area like that either. I'm really excited to see City Center's and the F street corridor merging with Gallery Place. It's going to create a real vibrant atmosphere. With 24 hour/7 day a week restaurant/performance venues opening like The Hamilton, East End is really turning the corner. If Eatley does indeed choose City Center like some are predicting, look out!

Old 02-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I definitely wasn't saying Gallery Place was the most vibrant place in the country after NYC. I was saying the atmosphere that has been created there I haven't seen anywhere else but NYC. Times Square is Gallery place X10,000 obviously but I haven't seen that style anywhere else. Without the Verizon Center to provide the masses of people, D.C. wouldn't have an area like that either. I'm really excited to see City Center's and the F street corridor merging with Gallery Place. It's going to create a real vibrant atmosphere. With 24 hour/7 day a week restaurant/performance venues opening like The Hamilton, East End is really turning the corner. If Eatley does indeed choose City Center like some are predicting, look out!
Misunderstood you, Im in agreement. While I am not a fan of most of the new development in DC (strictly based on design), it is exciting to see the city filling in a bit. I do however, think it is an injustice to DC to say the city will be transformed by this construction, it is still a small amount overall, and DC is a vibrant and large enough city without all the new development, it will certainly help though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City