Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 01:58 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Honestly, D.C. does it's own thing. People have different preferences. You don't have to like the vibe or atmosphere in D.C. That is the wonderful thing about America. You can live anywhere you want and you never have to even venture into D.C. You live in Philly and you prefer Philly. Nothing wrong with that. I prefer D.C. personally. Different strokes....

I actually like DC very much, just personally some claims a tad outlandish.

I think NYC obviously and Chicago with SF a tad more vibrant than Philly personally. I find DC very vibrant relative nearly all cities in the US that are not NYC, Chicago, SF, Philly, Boston

But yes I like things more organic it appears based on the numerous discussions in this regard compared to your preference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 02:01 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
I may have missed it but what is coming down the pipeline in DC that you are so excited about?
Pipeline: New condos and apartments coming to DC metro area
DCmud - The Urban Real Estate Digest of Washington DC
Greater Greater Washington
Breaking Ground - Washington Business Journal
Housing Complex - D.C. Real Estate, Development, and Urbanism

Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I actually like DC very much, just personally some claims a tad outlandish.

I think NYC obviously and Chicago with SF a tad more vibrant than Philly personally. I find DC very vibrant relative nearly all cities in the US that are not NYC, Chicago, SF, Philly, Boston

But yes I like things more organic it appears based on the numerous discussions in this regard compared to your preference
Yes, I know you like things organic. To be honest, I think personal background has a lot to do with people's preference based on their personal experiences. I'm not going to pretend like I know your background but, I'm guessing you didn't grow up nor did you spend much time in any dangerous, blighted, run down neighborhoods. I have on the other hand and I don't want to be anywhere near old dirty buildings anymore. The newly born infatuation with old dirty neighborhoods by young educated non-minority people is baffling to me honestly. As people swoop in from the suburbs creating this attraction for "grit" as you call it which most people I know call "hood" is a very perplexing phenomenon. I do believe one of the main reason's people moving into the NE cities are attracted to "grit" compared to the 70's, 80's, and 90's when mainly only minorities lived in these area's has a lot to do with the lack of crime in these areas now. Maybe when that factor is not present, an appreciation can be developed for "grit" as you call it. Unfortunately, I do not have that luxury. I think our view is shaped around our personal life experiences. Personally, I love new shiny buildings and streets without trash. I love bright buildings that don't appear dreary. The hood is dreary all the time. Not a good feeling.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yes, I know you like things organic. To be honest, I think personal background has a lot to do with people's preference based on their personal experiences. I'm not going to pretend like I know your background but, I'm guessing you didn't grow up nor did you spend much time in any dangerous, blighted, run down neighborhoods. I have on the other hand and I don't want to be anywhere near old dirty buildings anymore. The newly born infatuation with old dirty neighborhoods by young educated non-minority people is baffling to me honestly. As people swoop in from the suburbs creating this attraction for "grit" as you call it which most people I know call "hood" is a very perplexing phenomenon. I do believe one of the main reason's people moving into the NE cities are attracted to "grit" compared to the 70's, 80's, and 90's when mainly only minorities lived in these area's has a lot to do with the lack of crime in these areas now. I think our view is shaped around our personal life experiences. Personally, I love new shiny buildings and streets without trash. I love bright buildings that don't appear dreary. The hood is dreary all the time. Not a good feeling.
So I guess NYC, Chicago, Philly, Boston, and SF are dismal and dirty old buildings while DC is bright and shiney and clean?

I actually grew up half in Northeast Philly(Wysonoming Park area), quite dismal IMHO while not ghetto may be getting closer today and the other half in an older suburb in Bucks county. Much of my family was in South Philly, Juniata Park, even Kenso - so yes I absolutely understand and have had numerous first hand experience with so called blighted neighborhoods which have zero in common with a place like Rittenhouse Sq.

No it isnt grit it is the vitality of these places, I think you have this worng honestly from that perspective. It isnt grit it is the vitality these places offer, diversity, cohesion, energy, action, organic, unique, non chains etc.

I have also lived in Greenbelt, DC, Old Town and Reston in the DC area (While Greenbelt to me was the most personally miserable I really didnt care for Reston at all, felt like a manicured disney environment to me personally but many people like that. I much prefered DC and Alexandria. And the town center in Reston(was just there again in the last two weeks) continues to feel very fabricated and forced (only so far a Clydes, Mortons, Starbucks, and Potbelly can go) to me personally, but again this may be personal preference, but has a ton of jobs, a good thing

Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 PM

157 posts, read 165,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Fanuial hall and Haymarket are not public, thats news to me.
attractions Boston has you beat there is a reason than millions more tourists visit Boston than Indy, and its not because Boston is Boring.
Your own city said Boston hasn't had an indoor market for 50 years since Quincy was converted to a food stall. They're exploring ways to bring indoor public market back to downtown. That said, if Downtown Crossing build the Filene with 40 story tower by Millenium and fill in some of the empty storefronts with a department store from Europe, also build a couple of more residential towers, then it could tie with Dt. Indy. Right now, no dice!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:33 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
So you think Chicago is further above Philly than Philly would be to Houston?

I think you have Pittsburgh and Baltimore too low, to me may be top 10 DTs

Also DC seems high unless this is based on office sq footage and I find Atlanta's DT personally better than Houston

LV just doesnt belong, the strip isnt a real DT
It's not a science, just a quick stab at it. But yes, I do think Chicago is strongly ahead of Philly, and Philly is about as equally strongly ahead of Houston, but possibly lesser so. If you used percentages (92/80; 80/70) they may be closer even.

But why argue....show us how it's REALLY done!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
So I guess NYC, Chicago, Philly, Boston, and SF are dismal and dirty old buildings while DC is bright and shiney and clean?

I actually grew up half in Northeast Philly(Wysonoming Park area), quite dismal IMHO while not ghetto may be getting closer today and the other half in an older suburb in Bucks county. Much of my family was in South Philly, Juniata Park, even Kenso - so yes I absolutely understand and have had numerous first hand experience with so called blighted neighborhoods which have zero in common with a place like Rittenhouse Sq.

No it isnt grit it is the vitality of these places, I think you have this worng honestly from that perspective. It is grit it is the vitality these places offer, diversity, cohesion, energy, action

I have also lived in Greenbelt, DC, Old Town and Reston in the DC area (While Greenbelt to me was miserable I really didnt care for Reston at all, felt a manicured disney environment to me persoannly but many people like that. I much prefered DC and Alexandria personally
No, Im not talking about D.C. I'm talking about the warehouse loft movement or the gritty neighborhood artsy movement. Many people don't like Manhattan because of the same reason many people don't like D.C. They say D.C. and Midtown NYC are "stale".

Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Boston, Mass is weak in downtown core department and strong in urban core center which includes the neighborhoods around downtown like North End, Back Bay and Fenway.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:35 PM

The same goes for Chicago! Loop is weak but Gold Coast is strong. The neighborhoods are strong, too. Downtown core only need apply!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:35 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'll do the weighting thing...

1. New York City (100)
2. Chicago (65)
3. San Francisco (55)
4. Philadelphia (53)
5. Boston (50)

6. DC (47)
7. Los Angeles (35)
8. Seattle (30)
9. Portland (20)
10. New Orleans (10)
I mean I get your point here....NYC is superior to all, but I can't see a 50% markup for NYC over Chicago given the fact that Chicago IS NYC on a smaller scale. In fact, I think some European and other World cities could be above NYC due to interconnectedness and such that NYC may not have due to zoning rules and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City