Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
LOL....you do realize that vibrancy is created through the construction of buildings and elements that create a destination for the region. The main problem with center city is the lack of a central arena to provide that. The Verizon Center is the Elephant in the room that produces tens of thousands of fans that eat and shop in downtown throughout the year. City Center is going to add to that destination on those nights. Visitors from the region create vibrancy. There is no place with the vibrancy created by an arena in Center City like D.C. That factor is really the tipping point for D.C. In my opinion, the only level of pedestrian traffic I consider vibrant is an event night in Penn Quarter or a Friday/Saturday night in Adam's Morgan or U street in Mid City. If I don't see that level of activity, it's not vibrant in my opinion.

Funny thing is do you realize more people ride the subway to and from Center City (combined BSL Wlanut and City Hall stops) to Phillies games than the average attendence is for a wizards or caps game. Despite that Philly doesn't need an arena for vibrancy, it already exisits, my point because they live there and dont jump in their car or on the metro home. They are on the streets. Houston has a bunch of DT areans and stadiums and no where the vibrancy of either DC or Philly; nope just not buying it. Also the is a pretty specific demographic, vibtancy comes the mixing of diversity and activities.

No buildings DO NOT create vibrancy, it is the people that do, being in the area, again you are so wrong on that point. The Pentagon is the largest builidng in the country I believe, not exactely the most vibrant area one would think

So then again answer the question. DC has this arena, so it must ALREADY be more vibrant? Correct?

And on no place with the vibrancy; hmmm the concentration of cultural amentities, galleries, restaurants, bars,cafes seem to being a pretty good job

MD, we just dont see eye to eye on this and an Arena while not detracting is no way the difference

Or it also seems you vibrancy is one of two things. People entering or leaving a sporting event or arriving or departing from work. Have at it, there are so many more interesting aspects to life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 12:57 PM

442 posts, read 539,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Based on cultural activity, pedestrian areas, retail, attractions, etc.

My list.

1. New York City
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. Boston
5. Washington D.C.

6. Seattle
7. Portland
8. San Diego
9. New Orleans
10. San Antonio

11. Philadephia
12. Indianapolis
13. Atlanta
14. Austin
15. Miami

16. Denver
17. Pittsburgh
18. Minneapolis
19. Baltimore
20. Nashville

21. Memphis-St. louis
22. Charlotte
23. Sacramento tie (23)Ft. Worth
24. Salt Lake City-Kansas City
25. Houston & Dallas
Indy but no St. Paul or Milwaukee?

You've got to be kitten me.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Funny thing is do you realize more people ride the subway to and from Center City (combined BSL Wlanut and City Hall stops) to Phillies games than the average attendence is for a wizards or caps game. Despite that Philly doesn't need an arena for vibrancy, it already exisits, my point because they live there and dont jump in their car or on the metro home. They are on the streets. Houston has a bunch of DT areans and stadiums and no where the vibrancy of either DC or Philly; nope just not buying it. Also the is a pretty specific demographic, vibtancy comes the mixing of diversity and activities.

No buildings DO NOT create vibrancy, it is the people that do, being in the area, again you are so wrong on that point. The Pentagon is the largest builidng in the country I believe, not exactely the most vibrant area one would think

So then again answer the question. DC has this arena, so it must ALREADY be more vibrant? Correct?

And on no place with the vibrancy; hmmm the concentration of cultural amentities, galleries, restaurants, bars,cafes seem to being a pretty good job

MD, we just dont see eye to eye on this and an Arena while not detracting is no way the difference

Or it also seems you vibrancy is one of two things. People entering or leaving a sporting event or arriving or departing from work. Have at it, there are so many more interesting aspects to life
You are being pretty ignorant right now. You need a building to house restaurants, clubs, galleries etc. What are you talking about? You have to build buildings with retail and everything included to create vibrancy. And yes, I said in the earlier post that the area around the Verizon Center is way more vibrant than anything in Center City. I also said, City Center, the F Street retail corridor etc. will create a much larger extension of that level of vibrancy. A destination is being created for the entire region including shopping, partying, and eating etc. That is something Center City will never be able to reach with its current build. Not enough people. If I'm not bumping into people on crowded side walks, it's not vibrant in my opinion. That is why people bring up Gallery Place so much. That is what we measure against when we say vibrant. No such area exists in Philadelphia so I can understand if you have lower standards. The goal should be to strive for that level of vibrancy throughout the city. Visit Adam's Morgan or U Street on a Saturday or Friday night or Gallery Place almost anytime to see what vibrant looks like.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:10 PM

Maybe it is a DC thing not liking Philadelphia Vibrancy

At another of your stadiums; it seems you dont want the people, just more structures.
Nats Try To Ban Phillies Fans From Park (http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/phillies/nats-try-to-ban-phillies-fans-from-park#.Tyww-KzuLgI.facebook - broken link)

Old 02-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You are being pretty ignorant right now. You need a building to house restaurants, clubs, galleries etc. What are you talking about? You have to build buildings with retail and everything included to create vibrancy. And yes, I said in the earlier post that the area around the Verizon Center is way more vibrant than anything in Center City. I also said, City Center, the F Street retail corridor etc. will create a much larger extension of that level of vibrancy. A destination is being created for the entire region including shopping, partying, and eating etc. That is something Center City will never be able to reach with its current build. Not enough people. If I'm not bumping into people on crowded side walks, it's not vibrant in my opinion. That is why people bring up Gallery Place so much. That is what we measure against when we say vibrant. No such area exists in Philadelphia so I can understand if you have lower standards. The goal should be to strive for that level of vibrancy throughout the city.
I dont agree but ok

And no I am not being ignorant; are you suggesting that Philly doents have buildings with such things? Another question for you

Current city build? Are you serious? What world do you live on MD, it is already vastly more dense in buildings, while not all one height there is more. More restaurants, bars etc in a more concentrated area, yes what creates the vibrancy and with far greater continuity and hours covered. Dont have to wait for a home game to let out

Have you been on Walnut street at Midnight? Seriously? I have been to both numerous times and continuity of activity is greater (hate to break it to you) and more consistent by night and day and over a wider area.

Never reach? Seriously; I really dont think you have experienced CC or at least not enough to make comments like this

Seriously how much time have you spent in CC and where? Again just not buying it. Am not saying DC does not have vibrancy (it absolutely does) but ru kidding me with statements like Philadelphia will never reach this; seriously MD. I suggest you actually spend time to see the difference

Now you just sound ill-informed/experienced to me

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-12-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Maybe it is a DC thing not liking Philadelphia Vibrancy

At another of your stadiums; it seems you dont want the people, just more structures.
Nats Try To Ban Phillies Fans From Park (http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/phillies/nats-try-to-ban-phillies-fans-from-park#.Tyww-KzuLgI.facebook - broken link)
Why would we want Philadelphia people in D.C.? We don't need help, we are doing just fine.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I dont agree but ok

And no I am not being ignorant; are you suggesting that Philly doents have buildings with such things? Another question for you

Current city build? Are you serious? What world do you live on MD, it is already vastly more dense in buildings, while not all one height these is more. More restaurants, bars etc in a more concentrated area, yes what creates the vibrancy and with far greater continuity and hours covered. Dont have to wait for a home game to let out

Have you been on Walnut street at Midnight? Seriously? I have been to both numerous times and continuity of activity is greater (hate to break it to you) and more consistent by night and day and over a wider area.

Never reach? Seriously; I really dont think you have experienced CC or at least not enough to make comments like this

Seriously how much time have you spent in CC and where? Again just not buying it. Am not saying DC does not have vibrancy (it absolutely does) but ru kidding me with statements like Philadelphia will never reach this; seriously MD. I suggest you actually spend time to see the difference

Now you just sound ill-informed/experienced to me
Well, I guess I prefer the crowd in D.C. to the crowd in center city. Center City doesn't have anything for me. And let's just say Germantown doesn't provide anything like D.C.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess I prefer the crowd in D.C. to the crowd in center city. Center City doesn't have anything for me. And let's just say Germantown doesn't provide anything like D.C.

That is a shame. Like DC CC has a lot to offer everyone

Germantown? probably better compared to SE DC and not sure what that has to do with CC or DTDC

Maybe you would like U City better, there are parts that look more like DC, more newer buildings of similar height. Though to me DTDC is more vibrant

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-12-2012 at 02:15 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 01:34 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
only New York can beat that strip on a 24/hr rotation.
Are you suggesting that Gallery Place / Chinatown is the most vibrant strip in the United States outside of New York City?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
That is a shame. Like DC CC has a lot to offer everyone

Germantown? probably better compared to SE DC and not sure what that has to do with CC or DTDC

Maybe you would like U City better, there are parts that look more like DC, more newer buildings of similar height. Though to me DTDC is more vibrant

Honestly, I get tired of your comparisons of Philadelphia and D.C. I pretty much ignore them and try to focus on the positive things happening in D.C. I don't really participate in these rankings and comparisons except on rare occasions. I don't see the need to argue over who is better than who etc. etc. I think its pretty worthless honestly. I don't like Philadelphia and I think the city smells and many of the people are depressed and poor. It just feels dirty to me when I'm there. I normally try not to put down cities but you don't really give people a choice do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City