Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 11:19 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not sure I totally agree; Chicago, Boston, SF, Philly all offer a ton as well. DC does have a lot but wouldnt say more honestly. The best thing about DC is many attractions are free (well another thing funded by the American tax payer)

And even many of things you reference can be done in multiple cities actually (or materially similar things)
And nevermind that many people don't consider the Mall or Capitol Hill to be a part of "downtown DC"--which I typically associate with the city's commercial center, not necessarily its monumental core.

I've said this many times before, but I am of the belief that DC has a really good downtown that's getting increasingly more interestign and lively. It's great to see so much investment going into the city's core. But I don't think that it should rank above cities like Boston, Philly and San Fran. The downtowns in those cities feel a bit more urban and a bit more lively than does DC's.

My top 6 list would look like:

NYC
Chicago
San Fran
Philly
Boston
DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 11:25 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
And nevermind that many people don't consider the Mall or Capitol Hill to be a part of "downtown DC"--which I typically associate with the city's commercial center, not necessarily its monumental core.

I've said this many times before, but I am of the belief that DC has a really good downtown that's getting increasingly more interestign and lively. It's great to see so much investment going into the city's core. But I don't think that it should rank above cities like Boston, Philly and San Fran. The downtowns in those cities feel a bit more urban and a bit more lively than does DC's.

My top 6 list would look like:

NYC
Chicago
San Fran
Philly
Boston
DC

I agree with this, DC even in the last ten years has really come a long way

I think it is hard to dispute these being the top DTs in whatever order; much will be based on preference

Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
I agree with this, DC even in the last ten years has really come a long way

I think it is hard to dispute these being the top DTs in whatever order; much will be based on preference
I think D.C. posters need to stop focusing on what D.C. is like now for these rankings. Just accept what people see in D.C. of old and wait for them to see the new D.C. D.C. posters have more to be excited about than any city in the nation in regards to improvements for our region currently. D.C. posters need to just leave these rankings alone for a while if they can't accept what people think about the city. People will visit D.C. over the coming years and won't be able to recognize it.

When people visit D.C., they will experience the new Penn Quarter, new Mt. Vernon Triangle, new NOMA, new Northwest One, new West End, new Shaw, new Mid City, new Columbia Heights, new Golden Triangle, new Capital Riverfront, new Southwest Waterfront, new Atlas District and those are just in the city. That is not counting the new Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor, new Crystal City, new Potomac Yard, new Alexandria Waterfront, new Bethesda, new Silver Spring, new White Flint, new Wheaton, new Rockville, new Gaithersburg, new Tyson's Corner, new Reston, etc.

People will reevaluate their selections once they visit again. Let them see for themselves so they can form their own new opinion. Seeing is believing and once they see the differences, we won't have to convince them. They will see for themselves. Just be patient. History is being made.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think D.C. posters need to stop focusing on what D.C. is like now for these rankings. Just accept what people see in D.C. of old and wait for them to see the new D.C. D.C. posters have more to be excited about than any city in the nation in regards to improvements for our region currently. D.C. posters need to just leave these rankings alone for a while if they can't accept what people think about the city. People will visit D.C. over the coming years and won't be able to recognize it.

When people visit D.C., they will experience the new Penn Quarter, new Mt. Vernon Triangle, new NOMA, new Northwest One, new West End, new Shaw, new Mid City, new Columbia Heights, new Golden Triangle, new Capital Riverfront, new Southwest Waterfront, new Atlas District and those are just in the city. That is not counting the new Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor, new Crystal City, new Potomac Yard, new Alexandria Waterfront, new Bethesda, new Silver Spring, new White Flint, new Wheaton, new Rockville, new Gaithersburg, new Tyson's Corner, new Reston, etc.

People will reevaluate their selections once they visit again. Let them see for themselves so they can form their own new opinion. Seeing is believing and once they see the differences, we won't have to convince them. They will see for themselves. Just be patient. History is being made.
Was in DC and NOVA within the last two weeks (I personally see DC for what it is, and has made great strides since I lived there in the 90s), agree on improvement but still hasnt swayed my opinion to move ahead of other DTs IMHO, but yes good things though not sure what new Reston, Tysons, or Gaithersburg have to with the DT, and they are all miles from the actual DTs in this regard; places like Bethesda and SS while good for burbs are by no means comparable to any of these DT enviroments, let alone Reston, Tysons, Gaithersburg etc.

I also think DC may have made the greatest strides recently but I also think it is shortsighted to not see the dramatic changes that have taken place in other cities (Philly and LA specifically which both are accelerating at a very fast clip as well in this regard).

Remeber that Philly added 20K resident to the DT in the last ten years alone, more than DC has by nearly 2 to 1. I do like what I am seeing in DC and I especially like that it is becoming more cohesive, to me a very good thing. Will be interesting to see as to me DC still has too many dead zones in the broader DT area after business hours; especially realtive to other parts of DC.

Philly's issue is attracting business to the DT, it is continuing to attract residents with many projects under construction and slated to start.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Was in DC and NOVA within the last two weeks (I personally see DC for what it is, and has made great strides since I lived there in the 90s), agree on improvement but still hasnt swayed my opinion to move ahead of other DTs IMHO, but yes good things though not sure what new Reston, Tysons, or Gaithersburg have to with the DT, and they are all miles from the actual DTs in this regard; places like Bethesda and SS while good for burbs are by no means comparable to any of these DT enviroments, let alone Reston, Tysons, Gaithersburg etc.

I also think DC may have made the greatest strides recently but I also think it is shortsighted to not see the dramatic changes that have taken place in other cities (Philly and LA specifically which both are accelerating at a very fast clip as well in this regard).

Remeber that Philly added 20K resident to the DT in the last ten years alone, more than DC has by nearly 2 to 1. I do like what I am seeing in DC and I especially like that it is becoming more cohesive, to me a very good thing. Will be interesting to see as to me DC still has too many dead zones in the broader DT area after business hours; especially realtive to other parts of DC.

Philly's issue is attracting business to the DT, it is continuing to attract residents with many projects under construction and slated to start.
I'm talking about D.C. after construction and completion of the projects moving through the pipeline. You are talking about D.C. now. When I mentioned the other area's, I was referring to the excitement people in the DMV can have based on what is happening in our region. Getting upset about people's current opinion of D.C. is pointless with what is on the horizon in this region. An opinion of D.C. now is virtually going to be obsolete by 2014-2015. Downtown urban construction is taking place in every corner of the region. The way of life throughout the DMV is going to be centered around urban neighborhoods which I think is wonderful. The Silver Line, Purple Line, and Streetcars are other reason's to be excited which will do even more for the region than what is happening now. I was basically saying people should just chill and wait a couple years to chime in on these conversations. Things will be very different.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about D.C. after construction and completion of the projects moving through the pipeline. You are talking about D.C. now. When I mentioned the other area's, I was referring to the excitement people in the DMV can have based on what is happening in our region. Getting upset about people's current opinion of D.C. is pointless with what is on the horizon in this region. An opinion of D.C. now is virtually going to be obsolete by 2014-2015. Downtown urban construction is taking place in every corner of the region. The way of life throughout the DMV is going to be centered around urban neighborhoods which I think is wonderful. The Silver Line, Purple Line, and Streetcars are other reason's to be excited which will do even more for the region than what is happening now. I was basically saying people should just chill and wait a couple years to chime in on these conversations. Things will be very different.

Time will tell, a three year window feels awfully ambitous to me personally but you may disagree; regardless of how many cranes I saw

Even with all the new construction, the density will still be pretty far below the others and the general spread and cohesion while will be better wont match the others. I am not trying to be a pest but there is a difference in new buildings and even new residents as opposed to the street energy. DC is and continues to get better but new buildings are not the only aspect in the formula

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-10-2012 at 01:43 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Time will tell, a three year window feels awfully ambitous to me personally but you may disagree; regardless of how many cranes I saw

Well, all we can do is focus on improvements. We don't need to be in competition with any other cities. As for improvements, the construction activity going on right now in the core is nothing compared to what is breaking ground in 2012. There are more projects breaking ground in the next few quarters than all the projects under construction now. Come back in 2013 and you will see over 20 more cranes in the air in the core. People haven't seen anything yet. That is just the core though. Im not even going to begin on places outside the core throughout the region.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Well, all we can do is focus on improvements. We don't need to be in competition with any other cities. As for improvements, the construction activity going on right now in the core is nothing compared to what is breaking ground in 2012. There are more projects breaking ground in the next few quarters than all the projects under construction now. Come back in 2013 and you will see over 20 more cranes in the air in the core. People haven't seen anything yet. That is just the core though. Im not even going to begin on places outside the core throughout the region.

And will see if all gets built. Still think the subsidized elephant is vastly unsustainable driving all this. Honestly I cant see DC continuing to grow at the current pace for much longer. Govt has to contract is totally out of control (and that slows a lot of this) to believe that this engine will keep getting bigger is foolish

Regardless as I have said I do think DC has gotten a lot better in the DT, and expect it to continue in this direction

Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 PM

120 posts, read 208,898 times
I may have missed it but what is coming down the pipeline in DC that you are so excited about?

Old 02-10-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Even with all the new construction, the density will still be pretty far below the others and the general spread and cohesion while will be better wont match the others. I am not trying to be a pest but there is a difference in new buildings and even new residents as opposed to the street energy. DC is and continues to get better but new buildings are not the only aspect in the formula
Honestly, D.C. does it's own thing. People have different preferences. You don't have to like the vibe or atmosphere in D.C. That is the wonderful thing about America. You can live anywhere you want and you never have to even venture into D.C. You live in Philly and you prefer Philly. Nothing wrong with that. I prefer D.C. personally. Different strokes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City