Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Agreed re: Philly, it deserves way higher than 11th. It's world's beyond Indy, for example.

My top 10 would look something like this:

NYC (Manhattan)
Chicago
San Fran
DC
Philly
Miami
Boston
Seattle
New Orleans
Baltimore
LOL Miami. Otherwise pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,061,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Yes I have (to about 75%), and what's the big deal? I barely changed the order of the ranking. Many others agree that Baltimore (Inner Harbor) and Philly (Center City) were ranked too low, and Miami definitely is as well.
I find this hard to believe. For example, you ranked Austin above Minneapolis, which is ridiculous.

Downtown Residents: Minneapolis
Downtown Workers: Minneapolis
Retail: Minneapolis
Cultural Activity: Minneapolis
Attractions: Minneapolis
Transportation: Minneapolis
Pedestrian Areas: maybe Austin wins in this area

I think people really need to start stating what their downtown area has to offer. This would make it a little easier for some.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:14 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,109,645 times
I agree Philadephia should move up on the list, however, having more of a population downtown doesn't always equal a better downtown.
downtown populations
http://www.brookings.edu/es/urban/top21fin.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Are you serious?

No offense to Naptown but have you lost your mind putting Philadelphia one slot ahead of Indianapolis?

In all due respect to every other citys downtown. There are only 2 downtowns that Philadelphia has to look up to - those being Manhattan and Chicago. You could argue SF and Boston are on equal footing as Philly but you are off your rocker with at Philadelphia 11.

100,000 college students,90,000 residents,250,000 daily office workers,2,700 retail establishments, tens of millions of tourists monkeying around in perhaps the coolest urban setting in the usa.

Center City Philadelphia on a bad day.

Center City on a Good day.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:23 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I agree Philadephia should move up on the list, however, having more of a population downtown doesn't always equal a better downtown.
downtown populations
Nice! Cleveland's downtown should grow by 231 percent, and should continue to grow with all the developments. Although, this article is pretty old... The projections were almost dead on for Cleveland.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:39 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,061,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
downtown populations
IMO, having a large downtown population has a lot to do with how successful a downtown area is. Without the population, many stores (small and large) won't open or will struggle. More residents also means more foot traffic, public spaces, etc...

The Brookings Institute was a little off and in some cases way off, with their estimates. For example, their projected 2010 population for downtown Minneapolis is 22,750. Downtown Minneapolis is currently at 33,590.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:26 AM

593 posts, read 1,761,955 times
No way is Miami's downtown better than Boston's. That is an absurd claim...

Old 02-12-2010, 02:43 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,833 times
I think we can all agree that NY and Chicago are top two then after that its up for debate.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:59 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,790 times
1. New York
2. Chicago (tie)
2. San Francisco (tie)
4. Boston
5. Philadelphia
6. Honolulu
7. Washington, DC
8. Seattle
9. New Orleans
10. Pittsburgh
11. Portland
12. San Diego
13. San Antonio
14. Austin
15. Minneapolis
16. Denver
17. Columbus
18. Baltimore
19. Miami
20. St. Louis
21. Atlanta
22. Los Angeles
23. Cincinnati
24. Fort Worth
25. Kansas City

I didn't include these because they're smaller cities so they obviously don't offer as much as larger cities, but I think Charleston, Madison, Santa Monica, and St. Petersburg have pretty awesome downtowns as well and are worth mentioning.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:26 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I find this hard to believe. For example, you ranked Austin above Minneapolis, which is ridiculous.

Downtown Residents: Minneapolis
Downtown Workers: Minneapolis
Retail: Minneapolis
Cultural Activity: Minneapolis
Attractions: Minneapolis
Transportation: Minneapolis
Pedestrian Areas: maybe Austin wins in this area

I think people really need to start stating what their downtown area has to offer. This would make it a little easier for some.
Please calm down. I'm just making a few changes to the original ranking. This isn't my ranking. I do mostly agree with the list but then again I've only been to just over half the cities on the list.

On the list I modified Minneapolis is actually closer to Austin (2 cities I haven't been to). From what I've heard Austin seems to be really nice, and I haven't heard a lot about Minne. that doesn't have anything to do with Favre and Friends. I think you should take up your beef with the original author.

btw I rooted for the Vikes in the NFC Champ. if it makes you feel any better.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:59 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,151 times
The nation's only cities with LEGIT downtowns, in order:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Boston
5. DC
6. Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City