Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 10:12 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

What are people basing their list off????

I see list going like this:

3.Dallas
7.San Francisco
25.Chicago

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 04:10 PM

390 posts, read 1,047,678 times
Actually, I've done alot of vacationing and I think the most accurate downtowns based on aesthetics, navigation, sense of direction, ammentities, skyline, culture, architecture are:

1. Chicago
Why???
Chicago has a heat unlike any other U.S. city. Chicago has alot of parks. Chicago has beaches which is abnormal for it geographically. Chicago is tall, perhaps on average the tallest. Chicago has a sense of culture that only few other cities can claim. Chicago is large but not overwhelming. Chicago has very wide streets and generally open traffic.
2. Washington, D.C.
WHAT??
Washington's downtown is unlike any other, and perhaps is the most architecturally and aesthetically pleasing in the U.S. The city is also unique, because, unlike Chicago, there are height limits, giving a visitor a more open feeling. The city also has plenty of parks and unique districts.
3. New York City
Ummmmm.....?
The big apple is huge...and it flaunts it in every category. It may not be the prettiest city, but it is beautifully ugly. The city has historically made it mark in world history, and the downtown area gives one the feeling of constant excitement.
4. Atlanta
Are you serious???
YEP! With luxury shops along Peachtree and unique, sleek modern architecture this city stands out as a beacon for the modern south. Atlanta's downtown is spread out and offers spectacular views.
5. Miami
No way!
Beaches.Beaches! BEACHES! The sunny feeling of this city has people smiling everywhere. Miami's downtown has boomed this past decade with nearly 500 luxury skyscrapers since 1995. This city is also the 43rd biggest city in the United States with the 3rd largest skyline making it the highest people to infrastructure ratio in the nation.
6. Indianapolis
Yep I said it.
The Indy city that never sleeps. This city's booming commercial industry and mass ammount of business simply offers alot of choices downtown. With one of the cleanest downtowns in America.
7. Cincinnati
One of the few midwestern cities to maintain most of historical architecture. Cincinnati was once one of the largest cities in the country for more than sixty years nd the city has maintaine that architecture for quite some time.
8. San Francisco
The Golden Gate Bridge says it all with its spectacular views and growing skyline.
9. Philadelphia
A true American city.
10. Dayton
A true city of innovation and a growing mass of unique green and glass architecture. Perhaps the Dubai of America in the future.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,727 times
This list is entertaining to read, but it is absolutely inane IMO. Lots of factual errors, absurd premises, and a lack of understanding of what makes a good downtown. Sorry if I'm being harsh, but this list truly is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
Actually, I've done alot of vacationing and I think the most accurate downtowns based on aesthetics, navigation, sense of direction, ammentities, skyline, culture, architecture are:

1. Chicago
Why???
Chicago has a heat unlike any other U.S. city. Chicago has alot of parks. Chicago has beaches which is abnormal for it geographically. Chicago is tall, perhaps on average the tallest. Chicago has a sense of culture that only few other cities can claim. Chicago is large but not overwhelming. Chicago has very wide streets and generally open traffic.
2. Washington, D.C.
WHAT??
Washington's downtown is unlike any other, and perhaps is the most architecturally and aesthetically pleasing in the U.S. The city is also unique, because, unlike Chicago, there are height limits, giving a visitor a more open feeling. The city also has plenty of parks and unique districts.
3. New York City
Ummmmm.....?
The big apple is huge...and it flaunts it in every category. It may not be the prettiest city, but it is beautifully ugly. The city has historically made it mark in world history, and the downtown area gives one the feeling of constant excitement.
4. Atlanta
Are you serious???
YEP! With luxury shops along Peachtree and unique, sleek modern architecture this city stands out as a beacon for the modern south. Atlanta's downtown is spread out and offers spectacular views.
5. Miami
No way!
Beaches.Beaches! BEACHES! The sunny feeling of this city has people smiling everywhere. Miami's downtown has boomed this past decade with nearly 500 luxury skyscrapers since 1995. This city is also the 43rd biggest city in the United States with the 3rd largest skyline making it the highest people to infrastructure ratio in the nation.
6. Indianapolis
Yep I said it.
The Indy city that never sleeps. This city's booming commercial industry and mass ammount of business simply offers alot of choices downtown. With one of the cleanest downtowns in America.
7. Cincinnati
One of the few midwestern cities to maintain most of historical architecture. Cincinnati was once one of the largest cities in the country for more than sixty years nd the city has maintaine that architecture for quite some time.
8. San Francisco
The Golden Gate Bridge says it all with its spectacular views and growing skyline.
9. Philadelphia
A true American city.
10. Dayton
A true city of innovation and a growing mass of unique green and glass architecture. Perhaps the Dubai of America in the future.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 AM

137 posts, read 702,699 times
i know this is all based on peoples opinions, but sacramento and salt lake in the top 25? seriously?

Old 08-03-2009, 10:50 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fringebenefits View Post
This list is entertaining to read, but it is absolutely inane IMO. Lots of factual errors, absurd premises, and a lack of understanding of what makes a good downtown. Sorry if I'm being harsh, but this list truly is ridiculous.
Yea I'm in the same boat. To claim Dayton "may be the Dubai of America in the future" is...um...interesting. Isn't Dayton the anti-Dubai? haha

Dubai is exploding in population growth, Dayton is hemorraging people. Dubai's tallest building is 162 stories, Dayton's tallest is 30 stories. Dubai has 822 buildings planned or U/C, Dayton has 1. Dubai is on the coast, Dayton is landlocked. Dubai is super rich, Dayton is working class.

But they do look almost identical!

Dubai:

Dayton:

Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

But they do look almost identical!

Dubai:

Dayton:
Twins I say. Twins. Especially from the highway.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 AM

I donno...it looks like Dubai has a ways to go before it can compete with the likes of the juggernaut that is Dayton, Ohio.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I donno...it looks like Dubai has a ways to go before it can compete with the likes of the juggernaut that is Dayton, Ohio.
LOL

We joke but you never know, there might be 5 trillion barrels of oil beneath Dayton just waiting to be found.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fringebenefits View Post
Well, it is an opinion. Other than Dayton, there are a lot of good ones there.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Well, it is an opinion. Other than Dayton, there are a lot of good ones there.
I certainly wouldn't consider Atlanta, Indy, Cincy, or Dayton to have some of the top downtowns in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City