Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I certainly wouldn't consider Atlanta, Indy, Cincy, or Dayton to have some of the top downtowns in the country.
I would agree with you on Dayton. I'm on the fence with Cincy. The poster's comments on the architecture are spot on, and downtown Cincy offers some splendid views with the river. Still, it can feel deserted at times in the evening. His comments about Indy are spot on, however, and I tend to see his view on Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:05 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I would agree with you on Dayton. I'm on the fence with Cincy. The poster's comments on the architecture are spot on, and downtown Cincy offers some splendid views with the river. Still, it can feel deserted at times in the evening. His comments about Indy are spot on, however, and I tend to see his view on Atlanta.
I guess everyone's got their own opinion, but would you really consider Indianapolis a city that "doesn't sleep"? The only 24-hour city in the United States is New York City.

Maybe I'm just being a homer and surprised he didn't put Boston on his list.

I mean, come on! haha

Old 08-03-2009, 10:07 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
The only 24-hour city in the United States is New York City.
I have to disagree. The Las Vegas Strip is the only 24-hr environment in the US that I've been to-one loses all sense of time there. It I used to jog through Times Square around 3-4am when I was living in Manhattan and it really does die down.

And that's not a bad thing imo. We all need to sleep.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:19 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I have to disagree. The Las Vegas Strip is the only 24-hr environment in the US that I've been to-one loses all sense of time there. It I used to jog through Times Square around 3-4am when I was living in Manhattan and it really does die down.

And that's not a bad thing imo. We all need to sleep.
That's true, I forgot about Las Vegas...I don't know if I'd call the Strip downtown though...more like a big playground.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:21 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
That's true, I forgot about Las Vegas...I don't know if I'd call the Strip downtown though...more like a big playground.
Yeah, the LV Strip is not really a downtown.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:08 PM

63 posts, read 161,414 times
You have to consider everything when judging which downtowns are best, not just size or number of choices. Setting is very important, and for that Chicago/New York lose points during the harsh winters, which now seem to last from late November until April!
I love Chicago's downtown and Manhatten too, but the overall uniqueness of San Francisco is missing from those places. In other words there are many aspects of Chicago or New York that can be found in San Fran: great restaurants, cultural diversity, shopping, nice parks, etc...but conversely I don't think Chicago or New York can say they have the natural beauty or wonderful climate of San Fran. San Fran is more expensive for these reasons. That said, I still think New York wins because it just buries the other cities in America with the sheer number of things to do and see.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Having been in Downtown Houston a number of times at night, it was refreshing to see some activity after dark for a place that has a longstanding image of having rolled up the sidewalks after quitting time.

It should be nowhere near the top - not yet - but I'd say it's getting there.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:03 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,654 times
Default Indianapolis

[quote=missionhome;8979154]Replace Indianapolis with Los Angeles at number 12 and move Indianapolis down a lot. Philadelphia should be number 7 in my opinion, moving those others down a spot.

You must be joking. Los Angeles has a terrible downtown for a city its size, while Indianapolis has an amazing downtown for a city its size. I know Indianapolis is no Chicago or New York, but for a mid-size city it has one of the best downtowns.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:31 AM

198 posts, read 261,774 times
NYC is in a league of its own when compared to other cities in the USA. Charleston SC has has the best downtown in the South period. Its location by the sea and beautiful parks and downtown residences upscale and moderate shopping an antiques district a large open air market and tons of real historic attractions as opposed to Disney like attractions, exquisite cuisine and walkability that fuels heavy walking traffic that few cities ten times it size can match. No way it should not be in the top ten if not the top five of downtowns in this country.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:00 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,890 times
Smile This list is pretty accurate,

After extensive research I have determined the following list to be pretty accurate. As I said this list is after extensive research. It should be pretty accurate. I based this on Jobs, Downtown size, Office space sq ft, Population, Skyline ranking, gdp, activities and much more.

1) New York

2) Chicago

3) Washington D.C.

4) San Francisco

5) Boston

6) Philadelphia

7) Miami

8) Houston

9) Seattle

10) Los Angeles

11) Atlanta

12) Denver

13) Minneapolis

14) Dallas

15) Clevland

16) Baltimore

17) Pittsburgh

18) Columbus

19) Austin

20) New Orleans

21) Honolulu

22) Portland

23) Detroit

24) Cincinatti

25) Charlotte

If you think you hae a good argument as to why this should be different please reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City