Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 11:42 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
your 80% figures are far too generous. As I said I think you can get there in about 900, not 500. I did crunch some quick numbers and follow your losic but some of what you have is a little off, ALLSTAR though has a habit of posting erroneous things then changes stories on the fly to back track. So yes I will continue to call the BS

Not generous at all. Just look on Google. North of the 270/370 interchange, all you have is the densely populated corridor along 270 up to Germantown and everything else is almost entirely empty.

montgomery county, maryland - Google Maps

If anything my estimates might be conservative. And if you play around with numbers to take out the outer Mongomery and Fairfax suburbs and add in the inner Price George's suburbs you can probably get to 2.7m in 500 to 600 easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 11:46 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This should make it easy for you to see where most of the people live in the region. Click population density so you can see the corridors with density. The rest is very low density with people scattered.

U.S. Census Mapping
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Map of the region
http://www.techdc.com/wp-content/upl...a-counties.jpg
Look where most of the growth in the region is. There's a reason why places such as La Plata, Gainesville, Manassas, Chantilly, Germantown, Gaithersburg, and Waldorf are growing so much. They're cheap! (relatively). How many people do you think are going to be able to afford the $1,800 apartment near Metro? And even if they could afford it, how many families are going to want to pay more for less when they can go to Stafford and get more bang for their buck?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I really enjoy reading your posts, and you are obviously very akin to what is going on in the region. Some posters have accused me of hating DC, I actually really like DC as a city, and wish my hometown of Chicago would take a page from DC Metro areas plans. I have said it before, that I think the DC suburbs are probably my favorite suburbs in the country (maybe behind LA).
However, I personally wouldn't call the areas around Bethesda, Rockville, Reston, the Orange Line strip in Arlington Dense (population wise), they are surely dense for suburbs, but not really Dense from a city perspective. I live in Bethesda less than a 5 min walk to the metro, and while there are def clusters of buildings and 10 story apartments in the downtown area, 95% of Bethesda is suburban in nature, same with Arlington, and without a doubt Reston.

My personal preference is to live in a city with a HUGE dense core and I couldn't care less about the suburban areas. I want 30,000 + people per square mile in my neighborhood (think Northside of Chicago or NYC), there are very few parts of DC that have that, and that is one reason I prefer those other cities.

DC (and LA), are the only cities where I would really consider living in the suburbs, because while not dense by my standards, they do offer a fairly decent "downtown living" experience.
I don't know how long you plan to live in the D.C. area but the suburbs are headed for an extremely different build. This is especially true for Montgomery County. White Flint-TwinBrook is going to make Bethesda look like a pit stop. The 355 Pike master plan moving forward right now is a national model of revitalization in the business right now. Planners from all over the country come to D.C. to study our development and community design. We are at the forefront in the business. I can't express enough that Metro is the only reason for this. It is honestly the envy of everyone around the nation because of it's ability to urbanize the suburbs into downtown's.

You mentioned you like the city. That is understandable. The suburban TOD centers will never be like downtown DC, NYC, Chicago etc. but their downtown development will run circles around anything in any other region including the NYC MSA in the suburbs.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Look where most of the growth in the region is. There's a reason why places such as La Plata, Gainesville, Manassas, Chantilly, Germantown, Gaithersburg, and Waldorf are growing so much. They're cheap! (relatively). How many people do you think are going to be able to afford the $1,800 apartment near Metro? And even if they could afford it, how many families are going to want to pay more for less when they can go to Stafford and get more bang for their buck?
LOL...the outer suburbs you just mentioned are not going to grow anymore like they would have because of Plan Maryland. The government will not be building schools, roads etc. for those communities anymore to promote growth. The government is only going to put those resources in the urban areas now. That is the point of Plan maryland. People will have to live in area's where infrastructure already exists. Google it!

Also, I like how you didn't respond after you realized how ignorant your last post was.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:52 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
If anything my estimates might be conservative. And if you play around with numbers to take out the outer Mongomery and Fairfax suburbs and add in the inner Price George's suburbs you can probably get to 2.7m in 500 to 600 easily.
No. You could add DC, MoCo and PG together and still not get anything close to 2.7 million people. And like kidphilly said, that's only assuming that all of those people live close to the city. There are obviously huge population centers in towns like Bowie, Upper Marlboro and Mitchellville that are at least 15-20 miles away from the District.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:52 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:

You mentioned you like the city. That is understandable. The suburban TOD centers will never be like downtown DC, NYC, Chicago etc. but their downtown development will run circles around anything in any other region including the NYC MSA in the suburbs.

I agree with you 100%. Based on my personal preferences, I Prefer Chicago or NYC to DC (city wise), but prefer the DC suburbs to anything in Chicago or NYC by a pretty large margin.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No. You could add DC, MoCo and PG together and still not get anything close to 2.7 million people. And like kidphilly said, that's only assuming that all of those people live close to the city. There are obviously huge population centers in towns like Bowie, Upper Marlboro and Mitchellville that are at least 15-20 miles away from the District.
And those places have extremely low population density. Bowie has what...50,000 people. Come on now...lol

Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
White Flint-TwinBrook is going to make Bethesda look like a pit stop.
Do you have a copy of what the proposed plan for this will be? A quick google search didn't turn up anything useful.

EDIT: So White Flint mall is being torn down for a town center? that is pretty cool. I recently read the Bloomingdales is closing soon. Are any renderings available?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Yes you can force people into density. It's called growth boundaries and building permits. The government can do anything they want to do. We believe in smart growth up here. You can't live somewhere unless they are building something new. They can't build something new unless the government allows them to do it. Study plan Maryland.

PlanMaryland
Let's get something straight here - you do not speak for your region. And guess what? We believe in smart grown DOWN HERE TOO. You have a very bad habit of talking down to people, and I ain't having it. You continually misrepresent just about everything regarding the DMV.

And no, you can't FORCE people to live against their will. All this precious plan Maryland will do is force people across the Virginia line, so they can sprawl even more than they already do. I guess you have never been to Portland, and have seen how the growth simply leapfrogs across the urban growth boundary, including across the Columbia River into Vancouver, WA.

Again, all of this may sound good on paper, but this will do nothing but encourage even more sprawl on the outer fringes of the region.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Not generous at all. Just look on Google. North of the 270/370 interchange, all you have is the densely populated corridor along 270 up to Germantown and everything else is almost entirely empty.

montgomery county, maryland - Google Maps

We should do a GIS analysis to find out the truth. These guys are ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City