Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
ehh, splitting hairs but still dont see a way to get to that; selctively you may be able to chunk enough, but probably would have slectively chuck out, not one clean cut; thus to me is a little too mcuh cherry picking; maybe 2.6 in 650 dunno

My speculation the best place to chunk with little impact to population is the SE of DC and no where near MOCO (even these lower populated areas of MOCO in the range would be required)
How did we get on this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown lover View Post
I suggest more skyscrapers, midrises, and fewer parking lots. It needs to be more dense to have a real urban vibe like NY and SF.

Hey good suggestions (you are really smart), agree they wont hurt and only help

Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:
ehh, splitting hairs but still dont see a way to get to that; selctively you may be able to chunk enough, but probably would have slectively chuck out, not one clean cut; thus to me is a little too mcuh cherry picking; maybe 2.6 in 650 dunno

My speculation the best place to chunk with little impact to population is the SE of DC and no where near MOCO (even these lower populated areas of MOCO in the range would be required)
Not cherrypicking anything. Just saying look at the densest contiguous 2.6-2.7m and you will be well below 700. Just taking out Great Falls drops you 18 sq miles while losing only 8k. Also on the east side of the Beltway you have a lot of empty space. You will lose a little bit of population but you will shed a lot of sq mileage.

2.6m in 600 seems like a decent and far from aggressive estimate to me.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How did we get on this topic?
An Allstar post

Old 02-13-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Not cherrypicking anything. Just saying look at the densest contiguous 2.6-2.7m and you will be well below 700. Just taking out Great Falls drops you 18 sq miles while losing only 8k. Also on the east side of the Beltway you have a lot of empty space. You will lose a little bit of population but you will shed a lot of sq mileage.

2.6m in 600 seems like a decent and far from aggressive estimate to me.

ok

Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
So the same TWO DC poster's are still trying to convince the masses it's DT is better than Philly or SF? Give it a rest.
When did i mention DT DC today? Stay in the game.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:09 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
You realize Seattle in the DT is not even half as dense as Philly correct? And drops off to 33% the density in the next set of nabes?

DC is about 55% as dense

SF a tad more (15-20%) in the ~DT

Chicago about the same in the core

NY; well NYC is well above all of them; Manhattan as a whole is almost 400% on average more dense than DT Seattle (NYC kills all places on this metric) But in your list Seattle is by far the significant ladggard on density with DC next lowest
Kid, do you ever take structural density in consideration? I think population density and structural density make up the urbanity pot of gumbo. Where DC lacks in population density, it makes up for it in structural density, hence DT lover's post. Philly is supremely dense population wise but Center City does lack development in certain parts.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Kid, do you ever take structural density in consideration? I think population density and structural density make up the urbanity pot of gumbo. Where DC lacks in population density, it makes up for it in structural density, hence DT lover's post. Philly is supremely dense population wise but Center City does lack development in certain parts.

We have had this discussion before. Honestly in terms of pure structual density I would think Philly is more structually dense. Even with some surface lots (honestly in terms of the coverage of actual footprint you are probably talking like 1-2% of the land in reality; add in the wider DC streets and it is likely more than made up for honestly) two things lead me to believe the stuctual density in DT is greater than DT DC.

While DC has more office sq footage, it is also spread over a larger area. Daytime worker per sq mile is very similar between DT DC and DT Philly (lots more up developement in Philly though also more 3 story structure) coupled with the higher population desnity (ie more residential structure) and narrower vs wider streets in general between the two I think Philly may actually be more structually dense. It definately feels tighter on the street to me. Not sure how to Purely determine with hard and fast numbers or to prove either way, but my guess is that Philly is actually more structually dense, but not 100% sure

Not sure if visually is a way to tell
philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Washington, DC - Google Maps

Think I have the same scale here, not sure both pretty well developed for sure, overall, not 100% sure though for the reasons I stated earlier might think there is more structual desnity in Philly

Again on the streets

Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Or this (but is hard to articulate all feels and DC has more the consistent height etc and less peaks and valleys so to speak)

This is basically by far the widest street in the DT for Philly (the above would be the more regular width)

And More DC (More consistent in height/fill overall)

So I guess the short answer is dont know but would speculate the density (smaller footprint) is greater in the DT of Philly, but not 100% sure

Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
When did i mention DT DC today? Stay in the game.
DC's bum, speak when spoken to.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:33 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
We have had this discussion before. Honestly in terms of pure structual density I would think Philly is more structually dense. Even with some surface lots (honestly in terms of the coverage of actual footprint you are probably talking like 1-2% of the land in reality; add in the wider DC streets and it is likely more than made up for honestly) two things lead me to believe the stuctual density in DT is greater than DT DC.

While DC has more office sq footage, it is also spread over a larger area. Daytime worker per sq mile is very similar between DT DC and DT Philly (lots more up developement in Philly though also more 3 story structure) coupled with the higher population desnity (ie more residential structure) and narrower vs wider streets in general between the two I think Philly may actually be more structually dense. It definately feels tighter on the street to me. Not sure how to Purely determine with hard and fast numbers or to prove either way, but my guess is that Philly is actually more structually dense, but not 100% sure

Not sure if visually is a way to tell
philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Think I have the same scale here, not sure both pretty well developed for sure, overall, not 100% sure though for the reasons I stated earlier might think there is more structual desnity in Philly

Again on the streets

Or this (but is hard to articulate all feels and DC has more the consistent height etc and less peaks and valleys so to speak)

This is basically by far the widest street in the DT for Philly (the above would be the more regular width)

And More DC (More consistent in height/fill overall)

So I guess the short answer is dont know but would speculate the density (smaller footprint) is greater in the DT of Philly, but not 100% sure
DC is generally consistant because they just decided to create the city out of thin air in 1800ish, while Philly started as a small town and grew, so relics of the past are still present in Center City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City