Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 04:40 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
DC definately has the spread, Philly/Boston is concentrated in an area much less sq miles in their cores.

But both DC and Boston (Arlington/Crystal City etc. and Cambridge) extend more directly as well.

Am curious as to the sq footage in the comparisons, not sure it exisits other than office sq footage

But on the point of density; to clarify you mean density of listed buildings? Boston and Philly are far more continuously dense as cities, though much is residential, But there is no way to look at a picture like this and say there is no building density. Also DC has to have more buildings per to achieve similar footage, it cant build up like other cities

“It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiascapes/5396573474/ - broken link)
Yes, that is what I meant. Just buildings in the city propers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Replace Indianapolis with Los Angeles at number 12 and move Indianapolis down a lot. Philadelphia should be number 7 in my opinion, moving those others down a spot.

Denver should replace Atlanta, Denver's is more active in my opinion.
Obiviously you haven't been to Indianapolis. Being #12-15 is pretty fair.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Obiviously you haven't been to Indianapolis. Being #12-15 is pretty fair.
That's saying Indy is better than: Minneapolis, Denver, Portland, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, and/or Pittsburgh....and I personally don't think it should be above most/all of those.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:46 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
That's saying Indy is better than: Minneapolis, Denver, Portland, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, and/or Pittsburgh....and I personally don't think it should be above most/all of those.
It should be above Dallas, Atlanta,Houston, st. louis,Detroit....

Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
It should be above Dallas, Atlanta,Houston, st. louis,Detroit....
No. Even Detroit and St. Louis (other Midwestern cities) are really really really underrated downtowns. At least in terms of architecture and built environment. Are they as clean and new as Indy -- hell no!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:31 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
But he is right DC has more buildings listed (these numbers include all areas of the city so BB and Financial District, and Copley etc are included), mostly because it cant buit up so it has to spread more

I am not sure though I would call DC more structually dense than either Boston or Philly but does have more that are tall enogh to be listed, it basically has to, again it cant build up
Looks like DC is trying to do something to improve nightlife in downtown even more. The business community is trying to enliven Downtown D.C. even more. The transformation into a 24 hour downtown is extremely difficult. The meeting was held at "The Hamilton" restaurant combination music venue which is the first of its kind for downtown D.C. being open 24 hrs a day and 7 days a week. DC will try to use this as an anchor to leverage similar 24 hr entertainment. DC has it's work cut out for it but hard work pays off.

DC BID Council - Home

***KidPhilly, this is just discussion. This is not boasting so you don't have to bash DC. Im just passing on the information.***

Old 02-19-2012, 07:55 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post

you people love to knock us for our admitted faults yet you completely ignore the strides we've been making over the past decade or so (atlantic station, glenwood park, the beltline - not to mention all of the infill and other smaller projects)
I like Atlanta overall. However, it's hard to jump on board and praise a downtown that looks like this at the street level. Atlanta has made strides recently, but they took "urban renewal" to new levels by destroying the historic core at unprecedented levels to replace it with crap like what's in those photos. Again, I know Atlanta has progressed, but it's going to take DECADES and a lot more work to replace the damage that was done.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:31 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I like Atlanta overall. However, it's hard to jump on board and praise a downtown that looks like this at the street level. Atlanta has made strides recently, but they took "urban renewal" to new levels by destroying the historic core at unprecedented levels to replace it with crap like what's in those photos. Again, I know Atlanta has progressed, but it's going to take DECADES and a lot more work to replace the damage that was done.
Kunstler has ALWAYS hated Atlanta, so you have to take anything he says/posts about this place with a huge grain of salt. He picked the absolute worst things about Downtown to highlight, while practically ignoring any of the good. He also felt compelled to give a backhanded compliment to Broad St., which anyone would argue is a jewel of a neighborhood (Fairlie-Poplar).

While Downtown has loads of room for improvement, don't fool yourself into thinking that urban renewal here was successful at destroying the core. Nothing even approaching the level of the area around Boston's hideous City Hall redo has ever taken place here.

Last edited by johnatl; 02-19-2012 at 09:31 AM..

Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Is the metro DC area perfect? Far from it. But it is LEAP YEARS ahead of Atlanta when it comes to smart growth and mass transit. LEAP YEARS. And you can thank the good ol boys in Georgia with their anti-Federal government mindset for that.
If this mindless drivel were true, then Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood must have been high when he was quoted saying this about Atlanta and Georgia at the recent groundbreaking of our new streetcar:

"I'm delighted to announce that Atlanta and Georgia has its act together," LaHood said to loud applause. "Two people who deserve the lion's share of credit are Mayor Reed and Governor Deal. They've taken politics out of good policy. They've taken politics out of getting things done for the people. What a lesson they could teach some of our friends in Washington. When you put good policy in place — when you put politics aside and put people first — good things happen. That's why I'm here today."

This anti-Federal government mindset you speak of has recently secured grants for everything from the Beltline to the streetcar to the deepening of the Savannah Harbor.

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/...town-streetcar

Old 02-19-2012, 09:29 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Oh man, come on. Certainly downtown Atlanta has many challenges to overcome, but it's obvious that this dude has an agenda and was extremely selective in his coverage of downtown. A good bit of those shots were of side streets and alleys that serve a functional purpose which aren't designed for pedestrian activity. And every building cannot have some interactive use on all sides; that's unreasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City