Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 12:35 PM

179 posts, read 621,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
First of all, Milwaukee has 20,000 people living in its Downtown, which is way more residents than Downtown Seattle.
Well 17k or 25k, either way, Seattle's 55k completely blow Milwaukee out of the water. Isn't it fun to look up facts before one starts bickering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:38 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,629 times
Quote:
Milwaukee's downtown population was 16,359 back in 2000. Do you have any idea how many condo developments have been built since then?

Grand letdown: Downtown retail decline hampers area businesses - The Business Journal of Milwaukee:
This article ran in the Business Journal of Milwaukee back in 2008 and estimates the downtown population to be 25,000.
Yes so Seattle and Denver and many other cities blow Milwaukee away. Milwaukee is a mid size city with an undeveloped downtown. How could you ever reasonably think it has more residents than Seattle, a city with massive urban development? Where are all the highrise condos in Milwaukee???

BTW, downtown denver (denver city center) has 63k people

http://www.downtowndenver.com/Econom...sion_Dec08.pdf (broken link)

20k pop for a downtown is very small. I believe Sacramento has around that.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:41 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DgoNative View Post
Well 17k or 25k, either way, Seattle's 55k completely blow Milwaukee out of the water. Isn't it fun to look up facts before one starts bickering?
LOL! Totally true.

Anyone that has ever been to Downtown Seattle would know without a doubt there is no contest here.

Milwaukee has done an impressive turnaround, especially for a Rustbelt City - but Seattle is on an entirely different level.

Of all the major Downtowns in the U.S. (I've seen about 85%), Seattle is my absolute favorite. It seems to have the right "mix" of everything I love.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Nice you take a post out of context. Less then 15k in Seattle's CBD but its city center or downtown AREA has 55k. I have said this to you before but you seem to not undestand the distinction between a CBD and a downtown area. Some cities that are smaller (Milwaukee etc) dont have a different CBD from a downtown...
So quoting you verbatim is what you consider taking a post out of context... OK. Whatever you say.

Quote:
Your 20k figure of Milwaukee is from you listing a zip code in its downtown which may or may not be its CBD (does it even really have one???).
I just got done explaining what we consider to be Downtown Milwaukee.

Here's the instant replay for you:
Quote:
First of all, you don't live here so don't tell me what is considered Downtown Milwaukee. 53203 is known as either Kilbourntown or Westown and is roughly one-half of the CBD. 53202 is divided between Juneautown aka Easttown (the other half of the CBD), The Historic Third Ward, Yankee Hill, and the Lower East Side. With the exception of the Lower East Side, both Yankee Hill and the Third Ward are considered part of Downtown Milwaukee but not part of the CBD.
Quote:
So please show us a link where Milwaukee has more residents living downtown then Seattle.
I already conceded the fact that Seattle had more residents living in its Downtown. The only reason I thought Milwaukee had more residents living in its downtown was because of our little discussion in the Denver Forum where you supplied faulty information to me.

Quote:
Yes so Seattle and Denver and many other cities blow Milwaukee away. Milwaukee is a mid size city with an undeveloped downtown. How could you ever reasonably think it has more residents than Seattle, a city with massive urban development? Where are all the highrise condos in Milwaukee???

BTW, downtown denver (denver city center) has 63k people

20k pop for a downtown is very small. I believe Sacramento has around that.
NAIOP Colorado: October Breakfast Recap: Downtown Denver Retail Hotspot
This link says there are 63,000 people within 1.5 miles of downtown, which isn't at all the same as saying there are 63,000 people living in Downtown Denver. The CBD, LoDo, and the CPV only account for a mere 10,000 downtown residents.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-05-2009 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 06-05-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
milwaukee look like the bronx in that second pic
I've never been to the Bronx, but I remember commenting on how I thought Queens looked a lot like Milwaukee and Chicago based on what I could observe during my Super Shuttle ride into Manhattan from JFK.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:03 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
I prefer Milwaukee over Seattle. Most people judge it differently because they have never been there. I remember reading an article from the LA Times where a guy went to Milwaukee last year for the opening of the new Harley Museum. He changed his whole article to be about the city of Milwaukee instead. He was so surprised about how cosmopolitan it was and kept comparing it to parts of LA. The lakefront blows any other out of the water. The people are friendlier and its actually rated as one of the top party/nightlife cities. It's one of the quicker changing cities in the country.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:16 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love San Antonio, but #10? While you've got Houston & Dallas at #25? That's just flat out untrue.

Outside of the Riverwalk, San Antonio has little on Houston or Dallas. And in fact, both of those score even higher in walkability than Austin.
http://www.walkscore.com/rankings/most-walkable-cities.php

I have seen other more current walk scores and San Antonio's downtown has the most walkable downtown. Now with the Riverwalk expansion, makes S.A's even more walkable. El paso more walkable, highly doubtful.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:00 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
Just wanted to comment that its good to hear about some cities other than Chicago, LA, and New York. This site has become bogged down with posts and/or comparisons of these 3 cities. There are other great cities in this country and its good to hear more about them.

Cities I want to travel to:

Seattle
Boston
Portland
Dallas
Tampa
Milwaukee
Philly
Denver

Old 06-05-2009, 03:11 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,629 times
Quote:
So quoting you verbatim is what you consider taking a post out of context... OK. Whatever you say.

Are you dense or just ignorant. I just got done explaining what we consider to be Downtown Milwaukee.

Here's the instant replay for you:

I already conceded the fact that Seattle had more residents living in its Downtown. Again, are you dense or just ignorant? The only reason I thought Milwaukee had more residents living in its downtown was because of our little discussion in the Denver Forum where you supplied faulty information to me.

NAIOP Colorado: October Breakfast Recap: Downtown Denver Retail Hotspot
This link says there are 63,000 people within 1.5 miles of downtown, which isn't at all the same as saying there are 63,000 people living in Downtown Denver. The CBD, LoDo, and the CPV only account for a mere 10,000 downtown residents.
LOL you are blaming me for supplying you info when you were arguing against that info intially??? What???

The old thread you keep referring was where I challenged your claim that Milwaukee had 20k in its CORE. I showed you that Seattle had 15k in its core and explained the difference of a CBD and downtown pop.

From this link CBD's pop were being discussed not entire downtowns...

I'm outta here!"

"""Here is ANOTHER CBD link for denver
http://www.demographia.com/db-cbd2000.pdf

Milwaukee CBD is 26th..."""

And this link shows 63k in Denver's downtown (note not equal to its CBD). I've explained this to you before but you seem to still not get it.

[SIZE=5][SIZE=5][LEFT]DOWNTOWN DEMOGRAPHICS[/LEFT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[LEFT]Downtown residents (1.5 mile radius): 63,000
Downtown (CBD, LoDo & CPV) average effective buying income, 2007: $66,634
Downtown student population: approximately 55,400
Downtown workforce: 110,000
Population and workforce projections, by 2030: 25,000 more residents and 35,000 more workers
Residential units planned/under construction: over 3,500
Downtown shops/restaurants: more than 1,000
16th Street Mall shuttle, Sep. 2006 to Sep. 2007: over 50,200 boardings daily
Downtown light rail stations: 32,000 passengers each weekday[/LEFT]
Downtown parking spaces: 44,000

Old 06-05-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
This link says:
Quote:
Server Error

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Why do you think they single out the Central Business District, LoDo, and the Central Platte Valley in the first place, unless they're defining that as being "Downtown Denver"? If Denver gets to count everything within 1.5 miles as its downtown, then that would include Capitol Hill, Uptown, Five Points, Golden Triangle, Jefferson Park, Lower Highlands, Lincoln Park, City Park West, Cole, Whittier, and Cheesman Park. That sounds a little too big wouldn't you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City