Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 09:22 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
This, for instance, is normal foot traffic for certain areas of Market Street, and not during a "festival":
Again you are seriously disrespecting a city twice the size of SF and a region equal to or much bigger depending on what geographical boundary you want to use. There are about 30 M people living between NYC and Philly approximately an area the same dimension as the Bay Area(7 M).

This is not a festival this is the Italian Market, this is everyday Philadlephia. SF is a great city but come down off of your high horse.

These are what festivals look like in center City Philadelphia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 11:45 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
No... Actually they don't. SF is an anomaly as far as West Coast cities go.
What about Portland and especially Seattle? They're not on SF's level, but they also offer that "East Coast urban" pedestrian-friendly downtown experience. The West Coast is more than just California.

Last edited by matt345; 06-03-2009 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 12:42 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Once again, another thread devolves into a pissing match between Philly vs X city

Old 06-03-2009, 02:12 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Based on cultural activity, pedestrian areas, retail, attractions, etc.

My list.

1. New York City
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. Boston
5. Washington D.C.

6. Seattle
7. Portland
8. San Diego
9. New Orleans
10. San Antonio

11. Philadephia
12. Indianapolis
13. Atlanta
14. Austin
15. Miami

16. Denver
17. Pittsburgh
18. Minneapolis
19. Baltimore
20. Nashville

21. Memphis-St. louis
22. Charlotte
23. Sacramento tie (23)Ft. Worth
24. Salt Lake City-Kansas City
25. Houston & Dallas
Don't get me wrong, I love San Antonio, but #10? While you've got Houston & Dallas at #25? That's just flat out untrue.

Outside of the Riverwalk, San Antonio has little on Houston or Dallas. And in fact, both of those score even higher in walkability than Austin.
http://www.walkscore.com/rankings/most-walkable-cities.php

Old 06-03-2009, 03:33 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
To the posters who keep harping on SF being smaller than Chicago and Philly. SF density is much higher than both of those cities. So its DT seems way more vibrant. Plus SF has vibrant neighborhoods that mesh right into DT so the street life doesn't die after 5:00 like the Loop. Please stop showing pictures of parades. It's embarrassing.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love San Antonio, but #10? While you've got Houston & Dallas at #25? That's just flat out untrue.

Outside of the Riverwalk, San Antonio has little on Houston or Dallas.
But WITH the Riverwalk, many end up enjoying San Antonio way more than Houston or Dallas. SA made #3 in my list, Dallas and Houston didn't appear. Dallas isn't helped by the fact that its riverfront is more like a riverBEDfront and on top of that it's separated from downtown destinations by I35. Houston is even better than Dallas.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
To the posters who keep harping on SF being smaller than Chicago and Philly. SF density is much higher than both of those cities. So its DT seems way more vibrant. Plus SF has vibrant neighborhoods that mesh right into DT so the street life doesn't die after 5:00 like the Loop. Please stop showing pictures of parades. It's embarrassing.
But SF's downtown waterfront is concrete and pier, gray and brown, while Chi's is green with park space and bike trails and great buildings incorporated. The best parts of SFs waterfront (Marina, Ghirardelli Square, Pier 39, Golden Gate Rec, Palace of Fine Art) aren't even downtown to help SF with a downtown ranking.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:27 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
But WITH the Riverwalk, many end up enjoying San Antonio way more than Houston or Dallas. SA made #3 in my list, Dallas and Houston didn't appear. Dallas isn't helped by the fact that its riverfront is more like a riverBEDfront and on top of that it's separated from downtown destinations by I35. Houston is even better than Dallas.
I just think the Riverwalk is mostly a tourist trap. Kind of like Kemah outside of Houston, or 6th Street in Austin. Fun for tourists but gets old for residents, or after multiple trips. Sorry...

Old 06-03-2009, 05:30 PM

246 posts, read 758,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
But SF's downtown waterfront is concrete and pier, gray and brown, while Chi's is green with park space and bike trails and great buildings incorporated. The best parts of SFs waterfront (Marina, Ghirardelli Square, Pier 39, Golden Gate Rec, Palace of Fine Art) aren't even downtown to help SF with a downtown ranking.
Those areas youre talking about (minus the Palace of Fine Arts) are some of the least interesting, least urban feeling parts of San Francisco (Pier 39 is scenic, but a touristy hell-hole that may as well not be part of SF). The embarcadero is beautiful and all, but thats not what people are referring to at all when they mention the urban vibrancy of SF.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I just think the Riverwalk is mostly a tourist trap. Kind of like Kemah outside of Houston, or 6th Street in Austin. Fun for tourists but gets old for residents, or after multiple trips. Sorry...
It may be a tourist trap. But its scenic quality and vibrancy remain, nonetheless. I lived in Atlantic Florida and Gulf Coast Alabama until the beach got old for me, now it's like been there, lived there, done that. But I still hear lots of people talking about how much scenic quality and vibrancy remain, and they are exactly right. Sometimes things that are beautiful CAN get old for somebody. Hale Berry's beauty got old to David Justice and Eric Benet. But lots of people still think she's one of the most beautiful women around. SA's riverwalk gets old to lots of residents. But lots of people still think it's one of the most beautiful riverwalks around. The contempt bred from familiarity doesn't diminish actual beauty and vibrancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City