Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 11:57 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,139 times

Advertisements

I was talking about downtown, and the portion of Cherry Creek I was talking about is downtown. Again, Cherry Creek empties into the Platte just south of 15th street. And again I ask, especially since you say you lived in Denver, when you are on Wewatta Street downtown, what is it that you cross over just before you get to Speer Blvd? Can you tell me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:20 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
There wasn't a single office building in the picture I just posted, unless you count the very top of the Northwestern Mutual building in the foreground. The rest are all 100% residential. Denver barely has any residential highrises, especially considering it claims to have the 10th largest downtown. The soon-to-be-completed Spire and Four Seasons projects will be nice additions, but what they have now is pretty pitiful. Along Speer Blvd in Cherry Creek and the area around Cheesman Park have way more residential highrises. Brooks Tower, Larimer Place, the Barclay, and the Glass Houses in LoDo are the only ones I can even think of that are actually located Downtown. The Easttown/Yankee Hill area of Downtown Milwaukee for sure has more residential highrises than Denver's Central Business District and Milwaukee's Lower East Side easily beats Denver's Capitol Hill in terms of height and density.

Milwaukee isn't like most cities because it has so many people living downtown, despite having a relatively small downtown workforce. There are roughly 80,000 workers in Downtown Milwaukee and 25,000 permanent downtown residents. Conversely, Denver has a downtown workforce of roughly 110,000 with only 10,000 people living in its downtown.
Sorry there are 63k living in downtown Denver - already provided the link for that.

Milwaukee has only two buildings over 300ft that are residential, denver has at least ten and its tallest residential will be taller than milwaukee's tallest office building - four seasons 640 ft.

Who are you trying to fool here Jacob? Milwaukee a bastion for downtown living? I cerntainly wouldnt say that for denver either but you're just delusional about your city man. You make it sound like Milwaukee is a model for downtown living How many people say, hey, lets live the highrise life in Milwaukee!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
How many people say, hey, lets live the high rise life in Milwaukee!!!
Prolly the same amount that do in Denver. Besides why would anyone want to live in Denver? your so far away from the rest of the country.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Prolly the same amount that do in Denver. Besides why would anyone want to live in Denver? your so far away from the rest of the country.
Having Denver, I really wouldn't NEED the rest of the country. As far as the why, here's a few items- great (dry) winters and tolerable (dry) summers, parks and pedestrian trails, mountain scenery, great sports scene, beautiful homes, town centers everywhere, a good variety of food offerings, outdoor recreation (which obviously includes Red Rocks). That's just a few "whys."

Oops, off topic. Sorry.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:37 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,629 times
Quote:
Really? Why are there only two residential skyscrapers in Milwaukee then? Only 20k in its whole downtown? Milwaukee's downtown landscape has a suburban layout...

Yes. Why would anyboby want to live in Denver let alone Denver over Milwaukee?

Denver Tops List of Favorite Cities
For Nearly Half of America, Grass Is Greener Somewhere Else - Pew Research Center

Why wasn't Milwaukee even on the list?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
here's a few items- great (dry) winters and tolerable (dry) summers
I always thought of Denver having 48 inches of snow one day then 85 degrees the next day.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I always thought of Denver having 48 inches of snow one day then 85 degrees the next day.
In other words, a lot of snow at once so you don't miss it for too long and you can go snowboard from the top of the hill in Commons Park downtown, but nice enough the next day for it to disappear and for you to get out and enjoy a bike ride on the downtown trails on the Platte River and Cherry Creek.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:42 PM

We are way off topic but...

Quote:
Why wasn't Milwaukee even on the list?
Milwaukee's turn around is fairly new and if you haven't been to Milwaukee in the last 3 years you wouldn't know of any changes. It will take some time to change the Laverne and Shirley/ happy days image of this city. There is literally new high rises condos going up everyday here, I imagine in 10 years people will think of Milwaukee on the same line as Seattle, some already do:

Hear the vroom at the new Harley museum in Milwaukee - Travel - LATimes.com

Old 06-11-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
parks and pedestrian trails, mountain scenery, great sports scene, beautiful homes, town centers everywhere, a good variety of food offerings, outdoor recreation (which obviously includes Red Rocks)
What if your not an outdoorsy type of person and would rather go boating or to a nice upscale lounge instead. Would Denver be for that type of person? the condo dwelling yuppie?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Yea, Denver does upscale and indoors alright. I'm sure there are better, but you don't have to be a mountain man to enjoy Denver. Anyhow, both cities seem great and do keep listing what makes the respective downtowns great, but stop clawing at each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City