Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2021, 01:14 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times

Advertisements

Are you limiting to clothing and jewelry….I’ve suggested previously exclusive home furnishings—could include showrooms from high end appliances and cabinetry such as Miele; Sub-zero, Wolf and Cove; Snaidero; Gaggenau; Poggenpohl as well as high end linen/bedding showrooms such as Frette?....Steinway & Sons piano showrooms??...Bang & Olufsen?

Last edited by elchevere; 09-22-2021 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 09:02 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not really saying they’re wrong I just don’t see a place like river oaks or highland park as a destination. It sound boring, it’s suburban and it’s really new. To Dallas and Vegas’ credit they have longstanding traditions and reputations for high end shopping. Houston really doesn’t.

Newbury street and the like are more where you’re going to see them as a visitor and more visually interesting and very likely more well known-thus more of a destination. Is it going to be as much of a destination as south beach or 5th Ave? No but..I never said it was. But it’s as close as you will get and not be there.

Again with Seaport, yes the yachts and ocean views are spectacular for dining but shopping, I think, is an afterthought. A lot of people in Boston/from Boston dislike the seaport because it’s viewed as garish tacky and inaccessible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
River Oaks District is a new shopping center, the fact that they pushed it back off of Westheimer with surface parking in front didn’t help with its urbanity.

Highland Park Village on the other hand is not new. It’s listed on the national historic registry. It was built in 1931 as the first self contained shopping center. It’s historic Spanish style design is gorgeously ornate. The surface parking within the center does take away from the “urban” factor, but there is no other area for parking as there’s no parking garage or on street parking around it. While HP Village is undoubtedly a suburban style shopping center…the fact that it invented the shopping center concept is pretty neat.

In Dallas, for urban shopping, you go to Knox-Henderson, West Village, and Downtown.
River Oaks is also not new. River Oaks is a historic affluent neighborhood. The River Oaks District is one of many shopping developments within River Oaks. The River Oaks Shopping Center (different from ROD) opened in 1936. If HPV was the first suburban shopping district, I guess the River Oaks Shopping Center was among the first 5. Like HPV, the RO Shopping Center is also on the historic registry

Anyway, my arguments weren’t that River Oaks and Highland Park are renowned shopping destination. My argument is that Boston is not and Newbury St being urban doesn’t make it more desirable. Now had you used Magnificent Mike in Chicago, you would’ve been on to something.

Old 09-23-2021, 12:06 AM

1,393 posts, read 861,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
River Oaks is also not new. River Oaks is a historic affluent neighborhood. The River Oaks District is one of many shopping developments within River Oaks. The River Oaks Shopping Center (different from ROD) opened in 1936. If HPV was the first suburban shopping district, I guess the River Oaks Shopping Center was among the first 5. Like HPV, the RO Shopping Center is also on the historic registry

Anyway, my arguments weren’t that River Oaks and Highland Park are renowned shopping destination. My argument is that Boston is not and Newbury St being urban doesn’t make it more desirable. Now had you used Magnificent Mike in Chicago, you would’ve been on to something.
It’s not just about being urban. It’s the character, history, amenities and surroundings. It’s completely and entirely subjective. Although not on mag mile level as a shopping destination, Newbury can charge some of the highest retail rents in the country. Raffles luxury brand hotels is also opening its first location in USA off newbury st. the 0.5 sq mile area (back bay) houses 2 four seasons hotels(one of few us cities with two) and many other luxury hotels. It must be desirable to some.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:06 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Newbury can charge some of the highest rents, but so can HPV. It's only one spot below Newbury:

https://www.buxtonco.com/blog/top-10...retail-streets

But again it's not who can charge more or who is more urban. The thread asks which metros have the most high end retail

Old 09-23-2021, 07:37 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Newbury can charge some of the highest rents, but so can HPV. It's only one spot below Newbury:

https://www.buxtonco.com/blog/top-10...retail-streets

But again it's not who can charge more or who is more urban. The thread asks which metros have the most high end retail
Has this hurt Newbury Street?

Madison Avenue has been decimated, even before Covid. Walnut was not Newbury or Madison, but it was also decimated.

I think most of this comes back to unreasonable rents, and the days of "stores for show" are not what they used to be, especially in the new ecommerce world.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 5,047 times
The largest luxury shopping streets like 57th St. in NYC, Rodeo Dr/Wilshire Blvd in LA/Beverly Hills and the Magnificent Mile in Chicago and maybe a few others will always be around to cater to the 1%s while the 99%s will have to make due with ecommerce.

Someone should start a thread on the best luxury shopping streets excluding malls in North America.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:22 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:

River Oaks District is newer. That’s what I meant.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:57 PM

626 posts, read 464,125 times
The Bal Harbor shops in Miami is by far the highest grossing sales per square foot shopping area in the entire world.

The Miami metro also has the 5th and the 11th largest malls in the U.S., with the larger one being quite luxurious. The Mall of America owners are even trying to build another mall down there which would be by far the largest mall in the country if built.

https://www.therichest.com/location/...-in-the-world/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...r-square-foot/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Dream_Miami

Old 09-25-2021, 07:29 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
For Chanel (as well as Gucci, Dior, etc), should I count the beauty boutiques or the mainline boutiques only?

Old 09-25-2021, 07:51 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
For Chanel (as well as Gucci, Dior, etc), should I count the beauty boutiques or the mainline boutiques only?
I would say both, since even the beauty boutiques are selective with their locations (and high-end).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City