Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 05:49 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
City Center DC is going to be the undisputed center of downtown. I think it will draw more people than Chinatown. Why would you think 400,000 square feet of retail would not be the unquestioned center of activity? How many pedestrian car free alley developments with fountains for kids to play in etc. are not the center of activity?
Perhaps in Bethesda or Arlington that would be the center of town, but honestly, 400,000 sq ft of retail is not THAT much for a major city; and fountains for kids to play in? Like I said, Bethesda or Arlington...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 06:08 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
See to me this is where I think the use of undisputed and a future preminition of the center of town can be imprecise.

I think it will be an improvement but at this level I am hesistant to say it would rival some of the more known shopping strips (big shoes to fill really)

Also many 400K sq foot shopping have been built and failed and also never amounted to a center of activity. That said I think the design looks to have promise but things like undisputed seem a tad premature IMHO. I think this needs to play out more. Also fountain and pedestrian zones have alos failed and may not attract a day to night vibrance. Again I do think this has real promise but based on what have seen it looks more like a real nice destination as opposed to being the all incompsing center of DC activity. Just some thoughts

I am very curious to watch this developed and will definately personally check it out
Obviously we won't know until it is built, but I think this area will become one of the premiere area's for shopping in the city with the best transportation access. Only time will tell how much downtown improves. We will see. I don't think City Center DC needs to compete with other cities, I think City Center needs to compete with Tyson's Corner and Pentagon City. If it can compete with those, it will be an instant success. There will be enough retail in Penn Quarter to equal the size of a large suburban mall which should give downtown an equal footing in variety. Penn Quarter will have about 1,000,000 sq. feet of clothing retail which will be huge for downtown DC. Again, only time will tell.

I think Mt. Vernon Triangle, NOMA, and Northwest One are going to really boost City Center because of the amount of residents that will be able to access major shopping a few blocks away. Those 25,000+ housing units in those neighborhoods will support this retail along with the residents in Penn Quarter and Logan Circle. That's a lot of people in walking distance of City Center. Again, only time will tell.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Perhaps in Bethesda or Arlington that would be the center of town, but honestly, 400,000 sq ft of retail is not THAT much for a major city; and fountains for kids to play in? Like I said, Bethesda or Arlington...
Penn Quarter will have about 1,200,000 sq. feet of retail when City Center is done.

From the DC Downtown Bid Site (which does not include Golden Triangle):

"This new report, entitled Downtown DC Shopping District, shows that the Downtown BID area has more than 500,000 square feet (SF) of existing shoppers’ goods retail already in place; 90,000 SF of vacant retail space available today; and another 600,000 SF in the pipeline. With several retail projects planned for completion by 2015, a new shopping district is emerging with the capacity for 1.2 million square feet of shoppers’ goods retail space, enough to make the area competitive with the region’s largest malls and shopping centers. Extensive data on retail demand drivers and useful market statistics and projections included in the report make a strong case for robust retail growth over the next several years."

Douglas Development is filling the additional 90,000 sq. feet as we speak and you already know where City Center is headed. DC is changing big time.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-08-2012 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 PM

Whenever this is built, it will be a huge additional to downtown DC.

Burnham Place on Vimeo

Old 08-09-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Penn Quarter will have about 1,200,000 sq. feet of retail when City Center is done.

From the DC Downtown Bid Site (which does not include Golden Triangle):

"This new report, entitled Downtown DC Shopping District, shows that the Downtown BID area has more than 500,000 square feet (SF) of existing shoppers’ goods retail already in place; 90,000 SF of vacant retail space available today; and another 600,000 SF in the pipeline. With several retail projects planned for completion by 2015, a new shopping district is emerging with the capacity for 1.2 million square feet of shoppers’ goods retail space, enough to make the area competitive with the region’s largest malls and shopping centers. Extensive data on retail demand drivers and useful market statistics and projections included in the report make a strong case for robust retail growth over the next several years."

Douglas Development is filling the additional 90,000 sq. feet as we speak and you already know where City Center is headed. DC is changing big time.
No doubt this is a huge development for DC, and the DC desperately needs more shopping within its limits. I guess my complaint is that based on renderings, City Center will feel more like a "Town Center" as opposed to feeling fully integrated into the rest of the city. I guess it is a matter of preference, but I much prefer the chaotic feeling of 5th ave or Michigan ave shopping districts with swarm of people, taxis, cars honking, buses, as opposed to something that will feel more controlled and closed off.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
It's about 55% complete now. It looks nothing like a town center. It's a bunch of connected midrise buildings on the street with restaurants, shops and retail. It has a pedestrian courtyard but it isn't really visible from the street.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
It's about 55% complete now. It looks nothing like a town center. It's a bunch of connected midrise buildings on the street with restaurants, shops and retail. It has a pedestrian courtyard but it isn't really visible from the street.
Maybe it is not as big a piece of the development as I thought, but I don't like the idea of any piece of this being not connected to the street or closed off. That is the part that felt "town center-ish" to me.

In looking at the renderings in this link (the slideshow), I just don't really like the way the development/retail feels disconnected from the street:

http://www.citycenterdc.com/overview

Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 AM

300 posts, read 524,737 times
I don't think City Center will be at the core of DC's downtown. It's kinda on the edge, and not really directly proximate to the main activity centers (Metro Center, the Mall and Farragut North/West).

Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Maybe it is not as big a piece of the development as I thought, but I don't like the idea of any piece of this being not connected to the street or closed off. That is the part that felt "town center-ish" to me.

In looking at the renderings in this link (the slideshow), I just don't really like the way the development/retail feels disconnected from the street:

Overview | CityCenterDC
The main courtyard to me would be better with some better street frontage based on the renderings, but do agree in some was it feels like a little more compressed version of the Reston Town Center on the inside. On the whole though this does look to be a positive for the area, much may depend on how this meshses with the other areas and connects along the and down and up the street.

I do like that this is not just a bog retail box though

Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
No doubt this is a huge development for DC, and the DC desperately needs more shopping within its limits. I guess my complaint is that based on renderings, City Center will feel more like a "Town Center" as opposed to feeling fully integrated into the rest of the city. I guess it is a matter of preference, but I much prefer the chaotic feeling of 5th ave or Michigan ave shopping districts with swarm of people, taxis, cars honking, buses, as opposed to something that will feel more controlled and closed off.
I guess it's all about personal preference. Many pedestrian alleyways are extremely successful and even preferred around the world. I think this area will be a major tourist shopping zone being two blocks from the most traveled block in the city at Gallery Place (H st and 7th st). With about 3,000 units coming online in a 5 block radius from City Center, there will also be plenty of new residents that will want to use City Center. There are over 20,000 units coming online within walking distance of city center this decade and many will probably enjoy shopping a few blocks from their home, not to mention those that already live in Penn Quarter, Logan Circle, and Shaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City