Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
On a side note, what kind of shopping would you want to go into City Center DC?
Now that I think about it, Uniqlo might make sense given the project's close proximity to Gallery Place and its attendant riff raff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Now that I think about it, Uniqlo might make sense given the project's close proximity to Gallery Place and its attendant riff raff.
I meant actual names? What actual stores would you like?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 AM

300 posts, read 524,570 times
Quote:
I don't think this area is going to have Gucci or Prada etc. We already have that in Friendship Heights and Georgetown.
The upscale stores in Friendship Heights are mostly on the Maryland side, not in DC.

And Georgetown doesn't have those kinds of shops. Georgetown is more for college-age styles and for preppy looks. It isn't upscale.

Outside of a few stores on Connecticut between Dupont and K, DC doesn't really have an upscale store district. Most of those stores are at Tysons or in Montgomery County, MD. Downtown has very little retail outside of Macys and a handful of stores.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
I meant actual names? What actual stores would you like?
Ideally, Prada, Tiffany's, Louis Vuitton, Bloomies, Neiman's, Saks, Lord & Taylor, Bergdorf Goodman, Ben Sherman, Barneys, etc. But seeing that most of the upscale shopping is located away from the city center, it's unlikely that any of that would happen.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Ideally, Prada, Tiffany's, Louis Vuitton, Bloomies, Neiman's, Saks, Lord & Taylor, Bergdorf Goodman, Ben Sherman, Barneys, etc. But seeing that most of the upscale shopping is located away from the city center, it's unlikely that any of that would happen.
Traditionally, that is nice for older shoppers. I think they want to keep downtown young. Those kinds of stores while still relevant to young people is more for an older crowd. It also isn't going to draw that much foot traffic in a city like DC. There just aren't enough people to fill the sidewalks of an entire downtown for a city DC's size at stores like Prada etc. The stores they are proposing will produce way more foot traffic which is what this is about. Think about what people in their 20's actually wear. This isn't for old people from a planning perspective. Those type of people are also less likely to take mass transit which is what this development will mainly be served by. It will be very hard to park in this area.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:03 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Traditionally, that is nice for older shoppers. I think they want to keep downtown young. Those kinds of stores while still relevant to young people is more for an older crowd. It also isn't going to draw that much foot traffic in a city like DC. There just aren't enough people to fill the sidewalks of an entire downtown for a city DC's size at stores like Prada etc. The stores they are proposing will produce way more foot traffic which is what this is about. Think about what people in their 20's actually wear. This isn't for old people from a planning perspective. Those type of people are also less likely to take mass transit which is what this development will mainly be served by. It will be very hard to park in this area.
The developers, if smart, will have a mix of retail to appeal to all consumers. At the end of the day all of this is about money, not making downtown "younger" or whatever.

I am over by this site on a daily basis, and I can't quite envision what the end product will like like from a vibrancy standpoint, unlike other major shopping avenues (5th Ave and Michigan Ave), which both have huge crowds on a daily basis and are in the center of the action. This development seems to be slightly out of the way, which might hurt it's appeal for non-locals.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:28 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
The upscale stores in Friendship Heights are mostly on the Maryland side, not in DC.

And Georgetown doesn't have those kinds of shops. Georgetown is more for college-age styles and for preppy looks. It isn't upscale.

Outside of a few stores on Connecticut between Dupont and K, DC doesn't really have an upscale store district. Most of those stores are at Tysons or in Montgomery County, MD. Downtown has very little retail outside of Macys and a handful of stores.

Neimans and Lord & Taylor are on the DC side. I get what you are saying but I kinda disagree. Gtown is a mix. It has some upscale stores like Hugo Boss, Michael Kors, Coach, BCBG, True Religion, etc...but not the likes of Pradas and Jimmy Choo's. However, the stores there do sell those items. You can get any type of fashion in Gtown.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
The developers, if smart, will have a mix of retail to appeal to all consumers. At the end of the day all of this is about money, not making downtown "younger" or whatever.

I am over by this site on a daily basis, and I can't quite envision what the end product will like like from a vibrancy standpoint, unlike other major shopping avenues (5th Ave and Michigan Ave), which both have huge crowds on a daily basis and are in the center of the action. This development seems to be slightly out of the way, which might hurt it's appeal for non-locals.
City Center DC is going to be the undisputed center of downtown. I think it will draw more people than Chinatown. Why would you think 400,000 square feet of retail would not be the unquestioned center of activity? How many pedestrian car free alley developments with fountains for kids to play in etc. are not the center of activity?

Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
I've been reading the last few pages, and I'm wondering why everyone is talking about NYC. Is that what the OP asked?

Old 08-08-2012, 05:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
City Center DC is going to be the undisputed center of downtown. I think it will draw more people than Chinatown. Why would you think 400,000 square feet of retail would not be the unquestioned center of activity? How many pedestrian car free alley developments with fountains for kids to play in etc. are not the center of activity?

See to me this is where I think the use of undisputed and a future preminition of the center of town can be imprecise.

I think it will be an improvement but at this level I am hesistant to say it would rival some of the more known shopping strips (big shoes to fill really)

Also many 400K sq foot shopping have been built and failed and also never amounted to a center of activity. That said I think the design looks to have promise but things like undisputed seem a tad premature IMHO. I think this needs to play out more. Also fountain and pedestrian zones have alos failed and may not attract a day to night vibrance. Again I do think this has real promise but based on what have seen it looks more like a real nice destination as opposed to being the all incompsing center of DC activity. Just some thoughts

I am very curious to watch this developed and will definately personally check it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City