Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 07:42 AM

300 posts, read 525,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
As of 2010, Logan Circle census tract 5002 had a density of 66,782 people per square mile. It has a population of 6,021 people. The other tract next to it census tract 5201 which lines 14th street had a density of 46,331 people per square mile. Anyone living in DC knows exactly what has happened and is happening along the 14th street corridor right now post the 2010 census so you can pretty much pencil census tract 5201 into a density over 60,000 pretty soon also.
A Census tract is absolutely tiny, and not a neighborhood. You said Logan Circle had this overall density. There are NYC Census tracts with 3 times this density, even in the Outer Boroughs.

That Census tract you're referring to is probably just a few of those big rental buildings they built on Mass Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
You are making a comparison with Manhattan, and these neighborhoods are nothing like Manhattan. That's the reason some folks are incredulous.

Shaw isn't the "downtown core" anyways. Even Dupont isn't "downtown core". You go one block off Connecticut, and there are detached single family townhomes in Kalorama.

Connecicut Ave. is Brooklyn-like in density, even in the heart of Dupont. That's about as dense and vibrant as non-downtown DC gets.

Yet you're going much, much farther, and saying less dense areas, like Southwest, will be Manhattan-like in a few years, which sounds ridiculous.

You are talking about traditional downtown lines and I am not. I am talking about the built environment footprint of a neighborhood. For example, if someone who has never been to DC before came for a visit, would they be able to tell when downtown began or ended? Many would not becuase the buildings are all the same height. You are comparing building heights, density, and vibrancy and I am comparing CBD building footprints. I don't know where you got lost, but you may want to go back and read the last three pages again.

And this is the Southern Downtown I'm talking about south of the Mall that you must be oblivous about:

The Yards Virtual Tour - YouTube

Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 AM

300 posts, read 525,069 times
Quote:
And this is the Southern Downtown I'm talking about south of the Mall that you must be oblivous about:

The Yards Virtual Tour - YouTube

That doesn't look anything like Manhattan. I don't even think it's comparable to the infill you see in Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes, well said and my points. A nabe doesnt spring up overnight and feel like Manhattan as much as MD would like to think so.

I hoghly speculate all the areas in the SW will even be close in this timeframe

For the record I really like areas like Dupont, if anything might feel a little like areas of the Village, albeit far less dense and compact. The SW is not just going to spring into something in this timeframe. There is more to this than just cranes, office buildings and 10,000 resdiential units

Despite DC is changing rapidly and for the better but agree on your premis...

Please find the post I made where I said anywhere in DC will feel like Manhattan. Thanks in advance. And I bet it will get real silent with that question.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
That doesn't look anything like Manhattan. I don't even think it's comparable to the infill you see in Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx.
Where did I say in any post in the last 10 pages that anything in DC will look or feel like Manhattan? Thanks in advance. And I bet it will get real silent with that question.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
A Census tract is absolutely tiny, and not a neighborhood. You said Logan Circle had this overall density. There are NYC Census tracts with 3 times this density, even in the Outer Boroughs.

That Census tract you're referring to is probably just a few of those big rental buildings they built on Mass Ave.
Logan Circle is tiny. It's bordered by Midtown south of Mass Ave. and Mid City (U street corridor) to the north. Either way, this is a waste of my time because you and Kidphilly are hallucinating. You all are basically conversing with yourselves since I never said DC will be anything like Manhattan. That was some little voice in your heads.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Please find the post I made where I said anywhere in DC will feel like Manhattan. Thanks in advance.
And again no one disputes the footprint, people dont buy the comparison even in reference.

The height limit is a blessing and curse in many ways

Also you were the one who said it will all be 40-70K ppsm by 2030 just not the case; even the densest whole nabes wont be

this (albeit pretty cool and growing)

http://www.thenowpass.com/wp-content...0/10/wash2.jpg

in form doesnt look anything like this (even if the footprint is the same) so the comparison seems silly frankly

manhattan aerial view | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

or even this

Chicago Aerial View | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:59 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Logan Circle is tiny. It's bordered by Midtown south of Mass Ave. and Mid City (U street corridor) to the north. Either way, this is a waste of my time because you and Kidphilly are hallucinating. You all are basically conversing with yourselves since I never said DC will be anything like Manhattan. That was some little voice in your heads.

No we are saying that 40-70K isnt going to be realistic. Even the more built out nabes are not even close

Logan Circle is nearly .8 sq miles, not small at all for an urban neighborhood

Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
key words tract there is temendous difference between peak (tract) and actual density. Hell Old City in Philly has a tract at 118K ppsm, the nabe is far far less. (you are talking about tract that is less than .1 sq miles)

people are talking about whole neighborhoods not 1-2-3 block cherry picking
Who's people? And who exactly are they responding to? Someone asked about Logan Circle so I gave them two census tracts with over 12,000 people. What exactly do you want. I don't really care what you want to talk about. I'm only focused on what my original post was, which is completely lost by you and your friend.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
And again no one disputes the footprint, people dont buy the comparison even in reference.

The height limit is a blessing and curse in many ways

Also you were the one who said it will all be 40-70K ppsm by 2030 just not the case; even the densest whole nabes wont be

this (albeit pretty cool and growing)

http://www.thenowpass.com/wp-content...0/10/wash2.jpg

in form doesnt look anything like this (even if the footprint is the same) so the comparison seems silly frankly

manhattan aerial view | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

or even this

Chicago Aerial View | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cool story bro, who said the form would resemble Manhattan? Who said the height of the buildings would resemble Manhattan? Who said the density of the built environment would resemble Manhattan? Who said the street would resemble Manhattan? Who said anything in DC would look, feel, or remotely be built like anything in Manhattan? Waiting...............

This may be difficult for you, but try making a comparison not using feel. DC and NYC are polar opposites so you can't compare them like you would Midtown NYC and Downtown NYC. You have to measure tangibles that can be measured when two places are polar opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City