Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
MD, everyone knows that DC is making big strides in terms of development and density.

The issue we all have is why you're comparing it to Manhattan? What is the point of the comparison?
I compared land area. That's it. Did you see another comparison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 AM

300 posts, read 524,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I compared land area. That's it. Did you see another comparison?
But why Manhattan? Why not Silver Spring, or Fort Worth, or Timbuktu?

Obviously when you say "part of city a" is bigger than "part of city b", then you're making a comparison between the two geographies.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
You do realize that neighborhood density is measured by the average density of the population in the neighborhood right? Over 12,000 people in Logan Circle live with a density between 45,000-66,000 people per square mile. You might want to check into that. Unless you know of a different way to get population density the rest of the world doesn't know about. Do you know where Shaw, Dupont Circle, and Mid City begin in DC?
precisly and the AVERAGE density is about 25Kppsm

All areas have peaks and valley but the continuity is what i am discussing and even on this metric Logan is quite impressive in the US sense. Though not in the 40-70K range nor will the whole footprint of the DT nor expanded DT be anywhere near thie AVERAGE by 2025

I live an area that is by tract 78K but the nabe is 55k. 55K is really the environment, the 78K is the few block tract. see the difference

Logan is an environment that is in the 25-30K range on the whole with residential clusters higher and lower overall giving it the feel for what it is.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
But why Manhattan? Why not Silver Spring, or Fort Worth, or Timbuktu?

Obviously when you say "part of city a" is bigger than "part of city b", then you're making a comparison between the two geographies.
Becuase Silver Spring is not a CBD. It's not full of urban canyons. I think this may be the first time I have spoken to you directly so I will break this down for you. Footprint for the built environment is about street interaction and layout. Gridded streets with commercial office, commercial residential, and hotels coming up to the street. The layout allows for long expansive avenues (urban canyons) that are seen in almost ever major cities downtown in the nation atleast somewhere. DC is building this type of interaction everywhere right now mainly becuase of the height restrictions. It has caused all development to sprawl densely for miles in packed rows instead of being contained to a few blocks rising up like most cities. Many area's are dead locked in cities other than DC in the NE. DC however becuase of blight in the 1900's has tons of liquor stores and carry outs to redevelop up it's boulevards. That is why Columbia Heights looks like it does headed down 14th street. That view walking down 14th street from Columbia Heights will resemble walking in Penn Quarter soon from a built environment perspective. This same view will be experienced walking along 7th street, 9th street, and North Capitol just to name a few. U street will also offer this view. I could go on and on but you get the point. This is basically about urban characterists which is how planners think. We redevelop neighborhoods in different cities based on urban characteristics, not on based mirroring other cities. Every city has it's own feel, but planners follow a certain model when designing them. This is also based on the zoning laws we have to plan around. Does that make more sense for you?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
precisly and the AVERAGE density is about 25Kppsm

All areas have peaks and valley but the continuity is what i am discussing and even on this metric Logan is quite impressive in the US sense. Though not in the 40-70K range nor will the whole footprint of the DT nor expanded DT be anywhere near thie AVERAGE by 2025

I live an area that is by tract 78K but the nabe is 55k. 55K is really the environment, the 78K is the few block tract. see the difference

Logan is an environment that is in the 25-30K range on the whole with residential clusters higher and lower overall giving it the feel for what it is.
So, take the population of Logan Circle and divide it by the land area. Take the 15,000 people in Logan Circle and divide it by the land area. Don't try to include Shaw, Dupont Circle, or Mid City which you probably have been doing anyway.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
So, take the population of Logan Circle and divide it by the land area. Take the 15,000 people in Logan Circle and divide it by the land area. Don't try to include Shaw, Dupont Circle, or Mid City which you probably have been doing anyway.
I posted my reference. If you define it differently then you can select your numerator and denominators

Logan Sq (was there this week) to me doesnt feel like a 60K nabe. Those tracts you posted add to like .4 sq miles with an avearge of like 40K if that is the way you want to define it

But then again my question is what is your point. You say huge footprint and now point to small swath

You claim the area will be mostly between 40-70K by 2020/2025 and then point to a very small area at the buttom of this range and then extroplate the projects (all within the next 15 years) will boost the area all above 40K (or most as you say)

Quite frankly I call BS

Old 08-02-2012, 09:31 AM

300 posts, read 524,617 times
Quote:
Becuase Silver Spring is not a CBD. It's not full of urban canyons.
And most of the DC neighborhoods you mentioned aren't CBDs and aren't filled with urban canyons.

If anything, Silver Spring is more of a CBD than places like Shaw or SW Waterfront. There are tons of highrises and office space in DC. Shaw is all 2-floor rowhouses with yards.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I posted my reference. If you define it differently then you can select your numerator and denominators

Logan Sq (was there this week) to me doesnt feel like a 60K nabe. Those tracts you posted add to like .4 sq miles with an avearge of like 40K if that is the way you want to define it

But then again my question is what is your point. You say huge footprint and now point to small swath

You claim the area will be mostly between 40-70K by 2020/2025 and then point to a very small area at the buttom of this range and then extroplate the projects (all within the next 15 years) will boost the area all above 40K (or most as you say)

Quite frankly I call BS

What year is this? Yeah...have you been following the conversation at all? You get lost fairly easy it seems. When have I ever been talking about the here and now? If you don't want to talk about the future which is all I have been talking about in this whole thread from my very first post, then don't respond to my posts. It's pretty simple. I only started talking about the present when you all claimed Logan Circle had a population density of 25,000 people per square mile lol. Really guy!!! And there you go with this retarded "feel" again. Why would I care what you felt like being in Logan Circle? I only deal with measurable tangibles.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
And most of the DC neighborhoods you mentioned aren't CBDs and aren't filled with urban canyons.

If anything, Silver Spring is more of a CBD than places like Shaw or SW Waterfront. There are tons of highrises and office space in DC. Shaw is all 2-floor rowhouses with yards.
You are talking about area's east of what I'm talking about first off. I'm not talking about anything east of 7th steet which is why I have referenced it over and over and over and over and over again. Also, Shaw makes up about .0001 of what I was talking about in my first post you responded to. You haven't brought up Mt. Vernon Triangle, Northwest One, or NOMA which comprises 90% of what I was talking about in the post to begin with. You just like Kidphilly are talking about now as well. Not once have I heard you reference 15 years from now which is what I was talking about. If you don't want to talk about the future, you shouldn't have responded to my post since that is all I was talking about.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
What year is this? Yeah...have you been following the conversation at all? You get lost fairly easy it seems. When have I ever been talking about the here and now? If you don't want to talk about the future which is all I have been talking about in this whole thread from my very first post, then don't respond to my posts. It's pretty simple. I only started talking about the present when you all claimed Logan Circle had a population density of 25,000 people per square mile lol. Really guy!!! And there you go with this retarded "feel" again. Why would I care what you felt like being in Logan Circle? I only deal with measurable tangibles.

And I provided data for Logan Sq you are saying different borders

I am also talking in reality and the here and now, you are the one with the OUTLANDISH future (i.e. not reality today) claims not me

And yes I have and as usual you continually move the criteria

Huge footprint here but let me explain with a small one here and the will say hmm you are not in reality, yep I follow completely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City