Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:51 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yeah, downtown Chicago is great and has a lot to offer, but the southern downtown in DC under construction right now is going to make the greater DC downtown area hard to beat. When all this development is done, DC's downtown is going to be truly world class. The National Mall is going gang busters giving a major boost and seamless connection to the northern and southern downtown. The road network in SW is being redone and those ugly buildings and streets in SW are being completely redone. It's going to be impressive to say the least.
Mega developments are great and all (they really are), but nothing can truly substitute for the dynamism, vibe, and character of a downtown that developed organically over the course of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,393,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Mega developments are great and all (they really are), but nothing can truly substitute for the dynamism, vibe, and character of a downtown that developed organically over the course of time.
100% agree

Old 08-09-2012, 06:58 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well, maybe your children will enjoy DC since the alloted amount of time needed for a place to be old an organic will have passed.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:35 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well, maybe your children will enjoy DC since the alloted amount of time needed for a place to be old an organic will have passed.
DC is enjoyable now and I'll certainly enjoy the mega-developments once they are built, but they won't replicate the allure and charm in downtown that DC already has in many of its neighborhoods. But given present development patterns and market forces, this is as best as it gets.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
I'm in DC now and downtown DC feels a bit tiny honestly, at least from what I now know to be large downtowns, though it felt bigger when I had previously visited when I was younger. While some of the buildings are nice and well manicured, others look like something I would expect in Poland, frankly it's rather ugly after looking at Chicago architecture all the time. So some of the hype on office space is way way overplayed on this board I have come to a conclusion for as it doesn't show in the bustle of the downtown area. While I thought Chicago got *dead* sometimes in the evenings, DC takes the cake. Museums though would give the edge to DC. nice. Not that they are much in downtown but the rowhomes in DC are great, the rail system in DC downtown is also much nicer. Traffic in DC seems more nightmarish, and there are far more construction cranes around DC than I ever remember seeing in Chicago even when it was booming about 5 years ago. Also seems to be noticeably more foreigners and tourists in DC than Chicago, DC also feels a bit more diverse.
That being said, I'd have no problem living here.

Last edited by grapico; 08-13-2012 at 08:20 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 08:11 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm in DC now and downtown DC feels a bit tiny honestly, at least from what I now know to be large downtowns, though it felt bigger when I had previously visited when I was younger.
The actual footprint is rather big...too big for a city its size if you ask me. But the lack of skyscrapers definitely gives it less of a big city feel, especially compared to Chicago.

Quote:
While some of the buildings are nice and well manicured, others look like something I would expect in Poland, frankly it's rather ugly after looking at Chicago architecture all the time.
Haha. That would definitely be true if you're around L'Enfant Plaza. That's just a terrible area. Most of DTDC's buildings are of the shiny, glass and steel variety. No character. It's not very inspiring architecture at all.

Quote:
So some of the hype on office space is way way overplayed on this board I have come to a conclusion for as it doesn't show in the bustle of the downtown area.
It's also August. Most BigLaw partners, secretaries, etc (and especially federal government employees) are taking the kiddies on vacay before school starts back up. Congress is in recess, too, I believe. DC is usually a pretty slow place in August. Even NYC slows down a lot around this time of year.

Quote:
While I thought Chicago got *dead* sometimes in the evenings, DC takes the cake.
DTDC is better, but still kinda lame. But it's also August, so that might have some influence on your perception.

Quote:
Traffic in DC seems more nightmarish, and there are far more construction cranes around DC than I ever remember seeing in Chicago even when it was booming about 5 years ago.
Yeah, there are cranes everywhere.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:35 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The actual footprint is rather big...too big for a city its size if you ask me. But the lack of skyscrapers definitely gives it less of a big city feel, especially compared to Chicago.

Haha. That would definitely be true if you're around L'Enfant Plaza. That's just a terrible area. Most of DTDC's buildings are of the shiny, glass and steel variety. No character. It's not very inspiring architecture at all.

It's also August. Most BigLaw partners, secretaries, etc (and especially federal government employees) are taking the kiddies on vacay before school starts back up. Congress is in recess, too, I believe. DC is usually a pretty slow place in August. Even NYC slows down a lot around this time of year.

DTDC is better, but still kinda lame. But it's also August, so that might have some influence on your perception.

After being on this board for years and years, i do see the flaws with DTDC. It's development has gotten better. I think it has a lot of potential if it is planned right. The Feds footprint in DC creates a bunch of dead areas because they cannot have retail due to security restrictions. DC is like a gift and a curse. From an architectural standpoint, DTDC is bland if we are comparing office buildings. There isn't too much you can do with a 13 story box. But in this case, the Federal buildings give the city a unique Romanesque character. You either hate it or love it. DT Chicago is beautiful. The river and the lake is unmatched.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:38 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
After being on this board for years and years, i do see the flaws with DTDC. It's development has gotten better. I think it has a lot of potential if it is planned right. The Feds footprint in DC creates a bunch of dead areas because they cannot have retail due to security restrictions. DC is like a gift and a curse. From an architectural standpoint, DTDC is bland if we are comparing office buildings. There isn't too much you can do with a 13 story box. But in this case, the Federal buildings give the city a unique Romanesque character. You either hate it or love it. DT Chicago is beautiful. The river and the lake is unmatched.

For though even the Gov't buildings can be very beautiful in their own regard. DC is unique in many ways which I like actually; just a little different animal that gets better al the time.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
don't get me wrong, I have been impressed with DC, it was just a critical city data critique of things that could be improved. It has several aspects I liked better than Chicago (greener, better flow into other neighborhoods in all directions, etc. Yes it was mostly some of the dull gov buildings I was talking about. The footprint is definitely more spread out, but, not such a bad thing, it makes the city more breathable. Reminds me a bunch of Berlin or Paris, instead of any other U.S. Downtown. I'll def be back. And yes I meant the big city feel as far as the hustle bustle, DC certainly has a big footprint. Far more impressed with it now than when I went around 10 years ago and explored. People in DC have been surprisingly friendly and talkative, more so than what I'm used to in Chicago.

Last edited by grapico; 08-13-2012 at 10:11 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 AM

90 posts, read 208,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Your comment about August being a quiet month is spot on. Here is an article pertaining to the quiet month of August in DC. August brings easier commutes, shorter wait times - WTOP Mobile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City