Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 10:49 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
oh yes, because american cities such as LA have the history of Paris or London, LMFAO!
oh, so it's not a skyline but history that define a city?

So for instance, Athens in Greece easily beats Paris?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:54 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
If I had to live in one of these 3 right now, Id probably move back to LA. Nothing wrong with the other 2( I lived in NY for a few years and had a blast) but LA is more my style.

Perhaps Id move back to Pacific Palisades. I loved it there.

http://www.cnsm.csulb.edu/departments/geology/people/bperry/GrantPhotos/LongBeachtoMalibu/188PacificPalisadesSunsetBlvdMar05S.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Bigcake, do you really consider museums (Field) and aquariums (Shedd) "culture"? How about art galleries, happenings, live events, publications? What exactly are Chicago's contributions to national and international cultural life?

Really? Do you mean Chicago was purposefully designed to be a mediocre, run of the mill unappealing city it is? Now I understand, Chicago does not repell cultural elites by being uninspiring and boring but simply because it is not designed to be appealing. Gross by design. Now seriously do you really mean that you wouldn't like to have acclaimed directors, singers, actors, media personalities living in Chicago and contributing to its cultural lfe? Why? Do you really enjoy being mediocre? We are talking culture on a national international level and not perfromances in local high schools...

You can't have it both ways: either you are a boring, uninspiring peepsqeak boasting traditional Midwestern values or you have a thriving and vibrant cultural life. It sounds to me that you are trying to have both.
Ain't gonna happen.

PS. I ignored dumber parts of your post.
dementor-- do you bother to read posts before reading, or do you have a canned response, i.e., I hate Chicago, I have no facts but I still hate Chicago, and, btw I have no idea what I'm talking about, but just for the record, I hate Chicago and will spread my views as far and wide as possible because I have access to the Internet?

Did you even bother to read? what the f*&k are you talking about? Please read the posts you're responding to, then proofread your again response. Then, reassess. Then delete. Shut down your computer and then, go outside and play kickball with your friends and get some exercise.

And-- why in the world would wou not include the Field Museum and Shedd Acquarium as cultural apects of a city? You're not really serious in leaving these out? You're not that much in denial are you?

If you want events, dementor, we've been through this and posted these things over and over and over again. I'm not going to waste my time on this again. You find it. Don't question me again.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
And-- why in the world would wou not include the Field Museum and Shedd Acquarium as cultural apects of a city? You're not really serious in leaving these out? You're not that much in denial are you?
Denial? Bigcake, watching dolphins is a cultural experience only in Midwest. Why don't you just admit that you have no clue what culture is?

Quote:
If you want events, dementor, we've been through this and posted these things over and over and over again. I'm not going to waste my time on this again. You find it. Don't question me again.
Yes, I recall. You told me about street fairs and Taste of Chicago. Do you still wonder why cultural elites avoid Chicago like a plague?
Oh, I forgot, you do not really want them in Chicago even though they sending tons of applications to move to this wonderful city.

Last edited by dementor; 04-24-2009 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 12:48 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Denial? Bigcake, watching dolphins is a cultural experience only in Midwest. Why don't you just admit that you have no clue what culture is?

Yes, I recall. You told me about street fairs and Taste of Chicago. Do you still wonder why cultural elites avoid Chicago like a plague?
Oh, I forgot, you do not really want them in Chicago even though they sending tons of applications to move to this wonderful city.
You're certainly unique dementor. I'll give you that.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:31 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
Quote:
oh, so it's not a skyline but history that define a city?

So for instance, Athens in Greece easily beats Paris?
you're pretty thick there ace or just looking for a way to twist words around in your direction. the cities of europe can not compare to american cities that are a mere 100 or 200 years old.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
You're certainly unique dementor. I'll give you that.
Maybe I am. For one thing I am New Yorker who's trapped in Chicago. I drive on those pothole-ridden streets and strugle with CTA on a daily basis. I know what Chicago has to offer not from your posts and advertisements but from experience. I am not a classical music fan and consider improv comedy more of a circus than actual theater. Other than that there is nothing much here, maybe besides few good blues clubs. Pretty lame for a three million people city.

Just face it, Chicago has never been famous for its culture. It gives the world Oprah, Spinger and Playboy. I do not even think it has developed its cultural identity yet. At this time it is very boring and as far from being vibrant as it gets. Unless of course you moved here from Des Moines.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
you're pretty thick there ace or just looking for a way to twist words around in your direction. the cities of europe can not compare to american cities that are a mere 100 or 200 years old.
Twist words? I am simply shoing you that neither history nor architecture defines a city. It's all about culture.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:25 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
^^^ If you really are "trapped" in Chicago, then your about to learn what this city's about!!

Get ready for the best summer city in the country...

Old 04-24-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
^^^ If you really are "trapped" in Chicago, then your about to learn what this city's about!!

Get ready for the best summer city in the country...
Right. I can't wait for another Taste Of Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City