Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 05:56 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Right. I can't wait for another Taste Of Chicago
You obviously haven't spent a summer here. I can assure you that no Chicagoan is counting down the days until The Taste of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:02 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,150 times
I actually love how Chicago isnt a "glamorous" city like NY or LA...it doesn't need to be.

Chicago is a city on its own...independent and away from the coastal regions. One giant metropolitan region with 10 million ppl sitting there by Lake Michigan...with arguably the greatest skyline in the world and has influences to the world (Alpha World City). Chicago does not need media attention that NY or LA receives. I love how Chicago can sometime fly under the radar...but thats ok.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:11 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
I actually love how Chicago isnt a "glamorous" city like NY or LA...it doesn't need to be.

Chicago is a city on its own...independent and away from the coastal regions. One giant metropolitan region with 10 million ppl sitting there by Lake Michigan...with arguably the greatest skyline in the world and has influences to the world (Alpha World City). Chicago does not need media attention that NY or LA receives. I love how Chicago can sometime fly under the radar...but thats ok.

That's what makes this city so great. We don't have the celebrity wannabe's, trust fund babies, and "scene" seekers in as much quantity as some of the coastal cities.

The party scene is very real, and down to earth. People are quick to put you in your place if you walk around with an unearned sense of entitlement. Hopefully with the population beginning to increase and the media coverage picking up Chicago stays that way.

I'd hate for hundreds of Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton types invaded this great city.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
That's what makes this city so great. We don't have the celebrity wannabe's, trust fund babies, and "scene" seekers in as much quantity as some of the coastal cities.

The party scene is very real, and down to earth. People are quick to put you in your place if you walk around with an unearned sense of entitlement. Hopefully with the population beginning to increase and the media coverage picking up Chicago stays that way.

I'd hate for hundreds of Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton types invaded this great city.
I agree. Chicago does not need loads of media attention to claim its a great city.

Chicago has a major influence both nationally and internationally, while at the same time...preserving a very strong sense of locality. New York and LA arent really like that...they have been "invaded" by outside influences.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:38 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:

Never occured to you that Chicago flies under a radar for a reason i.e. nothing interesting ever happens here?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Never occured to you that Chicago flies under a radar for a reason i.e. nothing interesting ever happens here?
Hmmm...Chicago marathon? Block parties? Festivals on lakeshore? What interesting things do u mean by? Michael Jordan kicking ass? Idk...list some so I know what you mean

In the meantime, what interesting things happen anywhere lol? All I know is Rio de Janeiro has the biggest street festivals in the world...THAT beats anything America offers...

Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Yeah, right. Whenever Jennifer Aniston showed up at the cubs game the cameras spend plenty of time shoing her.

Me too. I can't imagine people like Scorsese, Hoffman, Sting, Madonna living in Chicago. They would literally bring the city down and lower its high cultural standards.... Yeah, and I bet media would love to resport from your down-to-earth (boring) party scene once the population increases...

Do you guys ever realize how absurd your Midwestern reasoning sounds?
Remember, this is a national forum...

Old 04-24-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...Chicago marathon? Block parties? Festivals on lakeshore? What interesting things do u mean by? Michael Jordan kicking ass? Idk...list some so I know what you mean

In the meantime, what interesting things happen anywhere lol? All I know is Rio de Janeiro has the biggest street festivals in the world...THAT beats anything America offers...
Comments like this clearly show why there is no culture in Chicago.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Comments like this clearly show why there is no culture in Chicago.
Comments like this clearly show that someone who knows so little about Chicago has no business spending so much energy badmouthing the place.

You hate Chicago. We get it already. We got it months ago. Find a new grift. This one is way past its shelf life. You're tiresome.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
You obviously haven't spent a summer here. I can assure you that no Chicagoan is counting down the days until The Taste of Chicago.
You obviously haven't even been to Chicago. "Taste" is a big thing in this city devoid of any events other than street fairs and block parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City